What would YOU do about dead realms?

87 Night Elf Hunter
Because it's obvious that something has to be done. I know that Blizz acknowledged it in the latest Q&A.

It's no secret that US WoW is filled with dozens and dozens of dead realms. Even a lot of the medium realms barely have anyone playing on them. With WoW bleeding subscribers and expected to continue losing more it's obvious that there simply aren't enough players to fill all of the realms. As everyone now knows WoW is down to 8.3 million subs from a peak of 12. Yet we still have the same number of realms.

What do people who are against mergers think is the solution at this point? I don't think it's right to keep realms up when there are a total of 3 people online during peak hours.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Expand the CRZ to the major cities.

Battlegroup the AH.

No one has to lose a name/guild/server. And everyone can feel like they have a larger community to play with.

Problem solved, mostly (for a dead server that is).

Edited:

Also forgot...Cross realm raiding for normals and heroics for current tier. To allow cross server "guild merging"//off realm raid team members.

Will this affect the decline at all? There is no telling. But to solve the "dead server" issue. Seems to me this would be one suggestion to further attempt to solve this particular issue. While still not merging realms. Which many seem to think is the first nail in the coffin.
Edited by Pucifer on 5/9/2013 4:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
45 Gnome Warlock
What would I do?

I'd announce a month or two ahead of time that X number of realms (all the super dead ones) are being shut down. Players have that month to take advantage of a free transfer to any server of their choice. No new characters are allowed to be made there. At the end of the month, the servers are shut down, and any characters that have not been transferred off are placed on a random server, sucks to be them if they dont like the server.

Probably not the best solution, but the one I would do. Of course, Im fine with mergers too. I just like this solution better because people actually have a choice of who they want to be shoved with.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
well we don't have access to the information that Blizzard does
Edited by Nasafure on 5/9/2013 4:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
personally i would simply give one month notice to the lowest pop realms, allow free transfers off in that time period, and then close them transferring all remaining inhabitants to a limbo server to await transfer by their player to another realm of their choice.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Merge with a larger server.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
personally i would simply give one month notice to the lowest pop realms, allow free transfers off in that time period, and then close them transferring all remaining inhabitants to a limbo server to await transfer by their player to another realm of their choice.

How about they just reverse a bit of it in a way.

Let's say that everyone on the "dead server" being merged gets to keep their names and guild names. Where as the server they are transferring to those people will now have to re-name their toons and guilds to encourage the mergers.

I mean its only fair they are the ones being displaced. Not their fault their server is dead. I mean everyone should have to make sacrifices in such a "suggestion"...right?

Your willing to help out another player by giving up your name/guild name for them, right?
Reply Quote
86 Human Death Knight
Couple options:

Cross realm everything - guilds, auction house, current raids, making the server you're on not matter at all.

Offer free transfers away from everywhere below a certain population threshold, and mark them in such a way that nobody will make a character there by accident again - a popup or something when you try to choose the place that says 'This is a designated wasteland, do not expect to buy from, sell to, or guild/raid/arena with other players.'

or just shut some places down and move the residents elsewhere.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
i figure if you let players choose their own realms to transfer to, they can look for ones where they can keep their names. to me the biggest problem with how blizzard has handled character transfers in the past is that its very restrictive unless you're paying extra.

to balance server populations they really need to stop trying to nickle and dime the flow of players.
Reply Quote
Battlegroup the AH.

No. That would make the AH too big having 20 realms together. Just need to link low pop realms.
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
Nothing, as I don't see a solution to this problem other than self-service options.
Reply Quote
56 Undead Death Knight
I would do something to entice guilds and players to move back to low pop realms. This will help with the low pop issues as well as help decrease the load issue with high pop realms (login queue times).

One thing they can do is grant perks to guilds of low population faction / realms. Perks like:
  • Decrease lockout times on raids that have already had the realm first
  • Extra loot drops from random bosses

These perks will last until the faction is to a set population for a set period of time. There would need to be things set up to prevent abuse of the system. Like maybe a increase cool-down on transferring out of the realm once transferred on. A cool-down of a set time after the population reaches the limit before you can relocate.

Also have the populations faction based to help balance the factions as well. So on any given realm the Horde may meet the population to not get perks anymore, but Alliance may still be extremely low and will still receive them and vise verse.

Not only have this for the guild but also player level as well. Maybe a "lucky" perk that does something similar to Fiona's Lucky Charm. Things that will help and encourage game play, but not something like a mount or pet, etc.

Also a discount for multiple character transfers to a low pop realm. So instead of $75 for 3 you can pay $50 for 3 (buy 2 get one free). Maybe even waive the faction change if you are transferring to the lower pop faction on the realm.

I am against these perks being something like a mount or pets, etc. Unless it is something lost upon transferring off of the realm and is only accessible to character on that realm (not account-wide). Could cause people to rethink transferring off if they loose those.
Reply Quote
I would NERF HEALING
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Expand the CRZ to the major cities.

Battlegroup the AH.

No one has to lose a name/guild/server. And everyone can feel like they have a larger community to play with.

Problem solved, mostly (for a dead server that is).

Edited:

Also forgot...Cross realm raiding for normals and heroics for current tier. To allow cross server "guild merging"//off realm raid team members.

Will this affect the decline at all? There is no telling. But to solve the "dead server" issue. Seems to me this would be one suggestion to further attempt to solve this particular issue. While still not merging realms. Which many seem to think is the first nail in the coffin.

Well said.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I would open up CRZ to every aspect of the game.

One really big cloud for everyone to play in.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Merge them. If that is not an option then use CRZ, but allow for more servers to connect to each other. Right now CRZ is doing jack on my server.
Edited by Dagnarus on 5/9/2013 5:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Merges, maybe put a longer cooldown on transfers again
Reply Quote
Does anyone know here really know what a sever population is ? Is there anyway to find out ?
Reply Quote
I'd just merge them. People would have the name of their original server included by their name like CRZ so everyone can keep their original names.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]