Why Misha will not die

"I'd like to think I'd stay for a while. Usually the kids who think they are leet xfer off server only to find out they are garbage at PVP and end up coming back. Which gives me the opportunity to troll them even more. Win-Win for me."

I'll only leave in the case... All the 2k players are gone.... There will be no one left to do arenas with."

"The lack of guilds present that will actually get more than 2 groups past an up-to-date heroic raid without the use of alts is astonishing. It feels like on each faction there's only one or two guilds you have to roll in and if you're not in there your square. That is the current situation Misha is going through, there needs to be more players and more variety."

Everyone has their own idea and opinion and idea of how misha is dying, but we can all agree that it is dying. But what not everyone knows is that This has happened before.

"Oh no, say it ain't so Clutch! Misha has never been as bad as it is now! There's literally no one to play Arenas with and the lack of guilds is terrifying!"

Wrong. Misha, not the bear in Outlands but rather the server, has always been a rollercoaster. There has been situations in which people have been so angry with the situation Misha was going through at the time that people have transferred off this server and vowed never to come back, stating that there were bigger and better things to do on such servers as Illidian Horde or Sargeras Alliance. The result of the matter is they have always ended up leveling an alt on Misha, talking to their old friends that they met here from when they made and leveled their first character, and either transfer their main character back to Misha or begin spending predominately more time on that alt they've been leveling sitting in Stormwind or Orgrimmar just talking on trade while they sit in a dungeon or battleground queue. But, there are some who stay true to their word and never click Misha on the server list when they log in ever again. These are the people who you see always following Reckful or Sodapoppin (Two predominant World of Warcraft players that stream their gameplay and commentary on twitch.tv) saying in all caps "HI MOM!" or "MISHA SUCKS LOL" and sometimes even "STARTED FROM WRATH OF LICH KNIGHTS NOW I'M HERE." But, the reason if that many people xfered off and not all have returned is due in part to the "Recycable Player" theory.

The Recycable Player Theory is the basis that there's always that one person who is new to the game, creates his account, downloads the game, logs in and is instantly thrown into the character creation screen. He messes around with the features, studies each class's description a bit and eventually creates his first character. He looks up at his character and see's the server he has been selected and sees the word "Misha" scrawled in the top right of his screen. This is how you first, or either the person who recruited you and told you to come to Misha first came across this server if they didn't join in when it was just first added to the realms list. He will eventually level, join a guild, and do whatever he chooses between PvE, PvP, sitting in trade and calling everyone nerds, or maybe a hybrid of all 3. Whatever he chooses to do between PvE and PvP, he will try, relatively fail in his first patch, and next patch he will strive to do better and ultimately be taught by someone on the server "How To Play". In this he will eventually reach a certain standard that he is pleased with, sit in trade one day recruiting for his guild he is currently in or starting a pug, and begin playing with a new player that he is not aware of at first is a version of himself when he first joined this game. In this sense he will feel pity and memory of his early days and teach that new player himself or reference him to someone who will show him what he needs to do. This cycle repeats and repeats time and time again to increase the population of the server, and older players quitting and transferring off the server is what balances the population.

And that is what I ate for breakfast last night.
Reply Quote
Point is, don't count Misha out yet, this is just one ride down on the rollercoaster that is our server.
Reply Quote
Cool story brah tell it again?
Reply Quote
Nah !@#$% that took too long to type out, I think I'ma copy and paste that and edit out everything WoW related and send it to my english teacher for extra credit or something.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Misha is also perfect for the casual players that play to kill time while sipping beers.

Most players don't care about pvp ratings or cutting edge progression , I love Misha cause people are friendly mature and down to earth. I have made enough friends/acquaintances to occasionally be a dps substitute for raid groups without committing to a schedule. I log in when I can without worrying about letting a raid group / pvp team down because I wasn't on 3 hours earlier, and usually find a group that needs a mage or pally to fill in whether it be pvp or pve.

I, like most players have fun no matter what the skill level or success of the group.

Misha will never die because casual players is now the target market for Blizz and Misha is full of casual players. I started on Misha, learned to play on Misha, have met and gotten to know people on Misha and will never leave Misha.

The die hard, super serious, super competitive players in WoW are the minority, those are the only players that care what server they are on. The majority of players just don't care to spend more $$ to transfer toons to other servers. Misha is perfect for people who's only goal is to have fun. Players that have high goals in WoW are the only ones that dislike our server. While it is not my place to say whether or not high goals in a game are healthy or not for players real life I will say that most players take WoW for the game that it is and play/learn at their own pace.

This is why Misha will never die ... the casual players far outnumber the "serious" players.

Misha is a casual server that fulfills the needs of 90% of the population.

Finding pvp or pve teamates on misha is not as hard as everyone says.. its actually super easy. I will play with anyone of any skill level and have fun either way. The only people who think the server is dying are people that will only play with "leet" teamates.

TLDR

Misha is only dying for people that play a game having high expectations

For the other 90% of us Misha is alive and well
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I think the true reality is that the pay for play MMO model is dying and the monster known as WoW is probably going to be the last survivor until its culmination.

I remember getting 5 people from our guild and 5 friends we met along the way to get on the Karazhan key quest back in the beginning of BC. When we first went in, everybody in our (massive) guild kept asking where the hell we where. There was a lot less to do, but a lot more to discover for the first time (for many).

There is so much crap to do now but none of it feels new like it did back then.

And as far as PVP, it was so much more bare bones back then and yet somehow much more engaging than it is now.

But these Misha is dying posts are kind of misguided. Yeah Misha is dying. Every server is dying. To some extent the game is dying. What are we down to now? 8.3 million subscribers.

At some point all this money put into new content is not going to be justified by the amount of subscriptions. I would imagine this number is below 3 million or so. So there is still a lot of time left for the game.

So it's lived a magnificent life but it's winding down.

And when the PVP'ers start dwindling, all the content in the world won't make the warcraft world feel like a living, breathing and healthy MMO. And PVP'ers complain and post about the state of the game and balance a lot more frequently than PVE'ers do. They'll keep leaving until its just a PVE game mainly (like what happened to SWToR). And then the writing will be on the wall.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
8.3 million Subs. Problem isn't Misha dying it's the game in general. Doesn't help that Misha is basically left with players who sit on teams that would be 1600 in BG9 because they're the highest rated on the sever.

Most players who care about these types of threads are PvPers.

There are some raiders, but whoever you are; you are a very small minority. Which is why I address the PvPers on the server.

This is the end of the roller coaster ride. Everything that has a beginning has an end, even the universe.
Reply Quote
10 Orc Warrior
This is the end of the roller coaster ride. Everything that has a beginning has an end, even the universe.

Actually no one knows for sure if the universe will end, if it even began (remember it's called the big bang theory), or if it is just part of a large and infinite multiverse, meaning it will begin again when it ends. All anyone can do at this current moment in time is make a theory. Notice that there are many theories, but even the top scientists agree that no one can predict what will happen to the universe, because of the limits of our knowledge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_fate_of_the_universe

As truewan said himself (in one of his rap videos), he is like einstein, except not brilliant.
Edited by Lilpeon on 5/13/2013 10:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
As truewan said himself (in one of his rap videos), he is like einstein, except not brilliant.

LMFAO
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

QFT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

QFT

"Except for his brilliance" Was the exact quote :)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Sorry you put so much effort in to your post, but the ONLY reason Misha won't die will be because Blizz sees fit to let it live.

Free server transfers here saved Misha in early WotlK, and it may have to again.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
This whole game needs Life Alert, real talk.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
All video games are played more in winter than summer, for obvious reasons I should think. It never ceases to amaze me how summer arrives, people leave and everybody starts talking about how the game is "dying".

Yes, WoW is down to 8.4 or so subscriptions. But they got rid of boxers, so there went 1 million. The real question is why did the game fall from around 16.4 million, at a time when Blizz said their goal was 24 million, now down to 8 million?

First, look at the name. "World of WARCRAFT". Not World of "Raidcraft". You wanna pvp? Do arenas? Fine, go at it. But none of it is real "WARCRAFT". Both 40 vs 40 venues are based on avoidance strats. Everything else 10 vs 10 and 15 vs 15 is too small to be considered anything but a scrum, and even so these too are often based on what i call "the dance": grab some relic or boxcar or flag and dance around with it, avoiding pvp.

Now think back to Wintergrasp. THAT WAS WAR. There was no limit to how many players that could zone in. Very often we would have 4 full raids on each side, and all the extra players would push the total combatants to anywhere between 200 vs 200 to 400 vs 400. You could enter and leave the zone at will, no more being told that the zone is full. There was a dance if you wanted, taking towers, but also gank-strats because nodes didn't despawn during combat: you would mine titanium or herbs and some rogue would be camping that spot, waiting for innocent opportunists to come along. Taking the fort was no dance. You needed strat, but you could just use brute force. You had to get to the relic by fighting your way through HUNDREDS of enemies. We would finish one match with HUNDREDS of killing blows, especially if you got on a tower gun.

Now that was effin FUN. Oh yah, there was lag, but so too on the Thunder King and any number of PVE fights where Blizz demands too much from our vid cards. There were addons that chimed when it was time to sign in to WoW just to play Wintergrasp again. Until they bring the "War" back to Warcraft, you are going to see matriculation: peeps will slowly leave the game over time.

Let's not forget that before resilience, we would pvp in our raid gear. I got to 80k kills in raid gear on my tank. As Blizz amped up resil gears, they also made a critical mistake. They thought "underplayed" classes such as clothies deserved insane burst damage. Don't take this personally, but nobody should be able to "blow up" another player in pvp. When you go from 500k health to dead in 1 or 2 seconds, that is incredibly harmful for the game. Get rid of resilience gear and "normalize" pvp damage so only heroic classes have any sort of power up over the rest of us. No moar 8 second fears, or chain fears, or chain stuns etc. Make it so when you get feared, you can't get feared again for 10 seconds. No moar perma-stuns. Make CC's and MC"s drop precisely when they say they do, instead of lasting for that extra 2 or 3 seconds of wtf?

Second, let's look at whats happening right meow. PVP not your thing? Fine. We could talk about how 90% of those eligible for ToT normal arne't raiding it. Why? Because Blizz HerpDerped when they introduced the shared-raid lockout. Making 10m ilvl 522 and 25m ilvl 528 and getting rid of the shared lockout would vastly help player retention, but franky its far too late in the expansion to rescue the game at this point. Too many guilds are only looking for experienced players. The last 25m pug you saw was for ICC. Yes, "flex-raids" is a step in the right direction, breaking the instance into several 3-boss zones but its still a bit wierd. If even one person hasn't done a boss, then combining two 10m raids is fruitless, they just gotta repeat that boss again. So you'll see some 25m pugs, but not many. And at this point, experienced players are soooooo far ahead of those capable but inexperienced raiders that they don't want to start over training up the nubs.

End of story: Blizz fekked up their game and drove away tons of players. These are the peeps that pay their mortgages, put diapers on their babies, put their kids through college. Lesson for the next expansion: don't mess with the Golden Goose. Understand where your profit stream is coming from. If peeps are paying to see ToT normal, make it so everybody can play normal dammit! If peeps want to play real Warcraft hundreds vs hundreds, then make a bg like Wintergrasp and tweak your software so its more playable (auto-turn down spell effects, no more snowy backgrounds making bid demands on vid cards etc).

I'm not hating. Blizz fixed so many things and made so many new positive changes it would be hard to know where to start, but yet they lost membership so... yah. Heed the Zoog baby. I'm only just about the longest playing member of this game (way WAY before Vanilla mmmkay).
Edited by Zoog on 6/15/2013 10:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10 Orc Warrior
The meaning of 'warcraft' was clever at one point but now just confuses. Craft wasn't meant to mean just 'the skill or art of' war, it was also meant to mean 'a boat or aircraft' of war. That was what the strategy game was, making boats and planes. Now everyone assumes 'world of warcraft' is like some 'art of war' thing but it's just the name of the game in which their world exists. They should have chose a better one for the mmo because right from the start, the horde and alliance lore suggested there would be more to the story than just WAR fight fight WAR. (meow?)

I often wonder though if the name was 'world of azeroth' if they'd have ever gotten 200 subscribers. 'world of warcraft' definately sounds more like a fightin' game.

06/15/2013 10:38 PMPosted by Zoog
but franky its far too late in the expansion to rescue the game at this point.

reminds me of this thread from a long long time ago in a very different galaxy:
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/25902237

My favorite post is the last one:
"TBC killed the enjoyment of the game for casual players and I don't think Blizzard can do anything to fix it at this point."

The thing that I find the most amusing about all the personal theories regarding wow dying is that it is Blizzard that is killing wow. It's like they poison their own baby, or... crash their ferrarri into a tree, just for the masochistic fun of it. It's like a story out of greek theatre, or melrose place.

Seems to me what's causing sub numbers to drop has little to do with wow itself (it still has all of its addicting qualities doesn't it?) but is more likely to have something to do with free to play games that are addicting and profitable and newer like 'age of wushu' but that's just my opinion of course.

Ah summertime... yeah.

Anyways, speaking of misha dying, anyone else excited for virtual realms or is that going to kill wow too? Thoughts?
Edited by Lilpeon on 6/17/2013 1:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The meaning of 'warcraft' was clever at one point but now just confuses. Craft wasn't meant to mean just 'the skill or art of' war, it was also meant to mean 'a boat or aircraft' of war. That was what the strategy game was, making boats and planes. Now everyone assumes 'world of warcraft' is like some 'art of war' thing but it's just the name of the game in which their world exists. They should have chose a better one for the mmo because right from the start, the horde and alliance lore suggested there would be more to the story than just WAR fight fight WAR. (meow?)

Ironic. The very first version had no lore and it was all about building cities and seige engines to assault the enemy.

Other than that, battles were played on a square field that was blacked out. Battlenet was brand new 7kps blazing fast. There were no alliance nor horde until the second version, which was a pretty good standalone game and where I got my name "Zoog". Orc workers said "zug zug" when they were happily mining or chopping down forests and "Zoog! Zoog!" when being attacked. I think Vanilla was the 5th rendition.

Ah, good ole days. How I don't miss them. What I do miss: the Horde on our battlegroup were led by a group of ex-military brothers who were pretty famous. They employed a wide variety of military strats in Wintergrasp and they respected anyone that could beat them. Once we formed a commando team to climb the hill above the fort Then we jumped off, with 50 of us floating on parachutes down into the fort to rain down the pain, and being armed with seaforium charges we nuked the door and gg. There were so many ways to get at the relic. Gawd I miss the ballin, brawlin and shot-callin.
Reply Quote
10 Orc Warrior
Ironic. The very first version had no lore and it was all about building cities and seige engines to assault the enemy.

Other than that, battles were played on a square field that was blacked out. Battlenet was brand new 7kps blazing fast. There were no alliance nor horde until the second version, which was a pretty good standalone game and where I got my name "Zoog". Orc workers said "zug zug" when they were happily mining or chopping down forests and "Zoog! Zoog!" when being attacked. I think Vanilla was the 5th rendition.
I never played 1 but I loved warcraft 2 and played the campaign through many many times. Then I started modding it, making my own units in paint shop pro, etc.

Ah, good ole days. How I don't miss them. What I do miss: the Horde on our battlegroup were led by a group of ex-military brothers who were pretty famous. They employed a wide variety of military strats in Wintergrasp and they respected anyone that could beat them. Once we formed a commando team to climb the hill above the fort Then we jumped off, with 50 of us floating on parachutes down into the fort to rain down the pain, and being armed with seaforium charges we nuked the door and gg. There were so many ways to get at the relic. Gawd I miss the ballin, brawlin and shot-callin.
That wasn't at all what it was like here on misha. We had some fun battles in the first few months it was new, but nothing was ever organized, and even though horde had better pvpers, the alliance had numbers 90% of the time, and so horde stopped going after awhile. Eventually it just turned into a way for allliance to get free gear, and they always took it back in the first 2 minutes with a zerg. There were problems with lag and server crashes, and also that place was extremely exploitable. I knew that sometimes the alliance would log onto horde side (thanks to the faction changes implemented during wrath) and tell people attacking what the horde defense was doing, as if they needed that advantage. The only fun part was when horde attacked, and/or if I got over 10 stacks of tenacity, which I'm sure was not fun for the alliance, even though it meant they'd probably still win because tanks couldn't make the walls against superior numbers... I still have mixed feelings about WG (and TB for that matter). Being a battlefield fan, I thought it could have been amazing, but it never lived up to its concept. What server were you on and why'd you leave?
Edited by Lilpeon on 6/21/2013 12:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Sorry you put so much effort in to your post, but the ONLY reason Misha won't die will be because Blizz sees fit to let it live.

Free server transfers here saved Misha in early WotlK, and it may have to again.

Makes sense.

I think my guild experience is similar to many others on Misha. My guild was started in early Wrath and was slowly built up. While always remaining somewhat casual, we raided Ulduar to a small extent, and ICC frequently. We exploded in Cata, and we eventually downed 4 bosses in Heroic DS. We were ranked in the top 20 in raid progression for a short while, and ranked 6th in Misha in guild achievement points. Somewhere during Pandaria things fell apart. Older members left, and we simply couldn't find any replacements. Thus far we have only downed 2 regular bosses in MV, and that was in the fall of 2012. Even more players have left since, and fewer still have joined.

This is a symptom of Misha's illness, and could very well be systemic to the entire game.
Reply Quote
10 Orc Warrior
Server's can't get sick. They don't die. They are just computers in a closet. This thread is a symptom of the old way of thinking about servers as realms. The truth is tiny virtual worlds don't build communities they build cliques. A large realm made of many servers is much more of a 'community' by definition at least. Thankfully, this old technical hurdle is going away with the next patch. They will simply be login servers, for the most part, except where the servers already have large populations. Here's a quote regarding realms for you to chew on...

How will things like realm forums, realm first achievements, and other realm specific things work with Connected Realms?
Frankly, we won't be doing a lot of that stuff going forward, so that's how.

Source: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/3345-Tom-Chilton-Interview-Shaman-Cosmetic-Armor-Raid-Testing-Blue-Posts-BG-Downloader

Enjoy the isolation while it lasts.
Edited by Lilpeon on 8/24/2013 3:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]