Too few "real" class sets

90 Human Paladin
I keep finding myself annoyed that all of these awesome sets that are supposed to be class sets have "Lookalike" sets, that can be used by other classes. For example, Immolation (T12) has a Lookalike set, which can then be used by Warrior and Death Knights. So it's like "Oh a Pala- nevermind." It ticks me off. I'd be fine with Lookalike being class restricted, so that you could still get it without having the Tokens or whatever.

To be clear, I DO like the Recolor stuff (Like Judgement and then Purple Judgement) because that distinguishes a bit more. Does that bother anyone else?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It doesn't bother me even a little bit. In fact, I have several times been pretty bummed (here and in other games) to find that a certain look I was excited about is actually exclusive to [class I don't play].

I suppose I've never placed much value in exclusivity in games; to me it's just a pointless barrier.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
At least the golden version of the transmog I am wearing is exclusive to paladins. That's kind of nit-picking on my part because the warrior and death knight versions are just recolors. But I look like a paladin.

Some paladin sets, I see too many death knights and warriors wearing (purple judgment, immolation look-alike, and the tier 6 look-alike head). I don't know why non-paladins want to dress like paladins, but I guess that is the point of transmog.

Edit: I just looked, and there is a whole set of golden paladin-esque gear that matches my transmog from ToGC. I am sad now. Maybe I should run MC until I collect a banana suit.
Edited by Velmorna on 5/14/2013 10:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
05/14/2013 10:39 PMPosted by Velmorna
I don't know why non-paladins want to dress like paladins

Same reason Pallies always get bad-mouthed - they're just jealous of how awesome we are.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I don't know why non-paladins want to dress like paladins, but I guess that is the point of transmog.

With dks in t2 recolour, it's because the dk might have been a pally before undeath and thus wore judgement. Basically rp, but it looks pretty cool.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
go for season 2 or 3 sets, only costs honor and only pallys can use em
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Either the non-tier gear would have to be unique models or there would have to be versions of each piece for every class/spec. Either way would probably suck.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Eh...no
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I like the idea people are gearing "outside" of their sets, makes things that much less linear. I've done what I can to make this guy look like a DK, and it only makes sense that a DK (a fallen paladin) would look like a paladin.

What I can't figure out is why it really bothers anyone what someone else looks like. Does it affect your game play? Do you walk around in the real world and look at people and get pissed about the cloths they wear?

There will always be people complaining about NOTHING AT ALL, for fun I guess.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
So special snowflake syndrome then.

Yeah, don't really sympathize. Nothing wrong with being able to dress outside your class a bit, I have a warrior lookalike armor set myself.

Also this.

05/15/2013 10:35 AMPosted by Zhoe
What I can't figure out is why it really bothers anyone what someone else looks like. Does it affect your game play? Do you walk around in the real world and look at people and get pissed about the cloths they wear?

05/15/2013 10:35 AMPosted by Zhoe
and it only makes sense that a DK (a fallen paladin)

Death Knights aren't fallen Paladins, a Death Knight can be a former Paladin just like they could be a former any other class.

Not a requirement, I don't know where people keep getting that idea.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin

I blame Blackguards from D&D who, like Death Knights, aren't required to be ex-Paladins but Blackguards get a lot of nifty benefits for being ex-Paladins.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
05/15/2013 11:23 AMPosted by Grôgnárd

I blame Blackguards from D&D who, like Death Knights, aren't required to be ex-Paladins but Blackguards get a lot of nifty benefits for being ex-Paladins.

I don't think you have to look outside Warcraft to see how people would get that impression; such a limitation is never explicitly stated, but the DK lore we have DOES focus a lot on fallen Paladins, and very little on (say) fallen Mages. Arthas, Mograine, Bolvar, etc.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Also numerous NPC death knights in-game cast paladin-esque spells, like Unholy Light.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
And there's the caravan questline in EPL, where some NPC comments that paladins like Gidwin make excellent death knights.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
There are heavy Paladin themes involved in some of the DK lore, but there's nothing that states or really even implies that Death Knights must be fallen Paladins.

The DK starter zone alone makes this clear.

Big Death Knight characters like Darion Mograine, Thassarian, Koltira and Trag Highmountain were never Paladins.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
05/15/2013 12:37 PMPosted by Ravicana
I don't think you have to look outside Warcraft to see how people would get that impression

True enough, I suppose. From an in-game perspective, there isn't much that deals with the true origins of the Death Knights, so it could be assumed that Arthas, as a fallen Paladin himself, started the whole thing. This is particularly true if you don't read anything but "kill X Crusaders," and "collect Y skulls" in the DK starter zone.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Like I said, this is on a personal basis. No, it doesn't affect my gameplay at all, but why try to look * exactly* like "X" class? I like the recolor stuff, but seeing a DK or Warrior in an exact look-a-like set annoys me. Same eiht Warrior T13 (the Deathwing set), I love the model, but if it is supposed to be a Warrior set, why make the EXACT same thing for others? Why not just roll the class then? I, personally, want to stand out in something that with a glance says Paladin, without having to do a double take, even if it just the colors on a shared model. I LIKE shared models. Purple Judgement rocks! I have it on my DK. The difference is that it *Isn't* that same red/gold/black set as the original. It's still unique.

Anyways, it's just a little thing that bugs me. Nothing more :)
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Looking like a warrior, DK or a paladin is played out. Troll or go home!
Edited by Apospathi on 5/15/2013 7:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
05/14/2013 10:44 PMPosted by Grôgnárd
I don't know why non-paladins want to dress like paladins

Same reason Pallies always get bad-mouthed - they're just jealous of how awesome we are.

Your long, full beard makes me jealous. I just have this short little thing. I suppose my awesome hair makes up for it, but I'm a paladin...so of course I have awesome hair.

Hmm, if a human paladin is bald, does he still have awesome hair? I think so.
Reply Quote
100 Human Monk
Big Death Knight characters like Darion Mograine, Thassarian, Koltira and Trag Highmountain were never Paladins.

Darion was. He was one of the founders of the Argent Dawn.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]