Keeping HP generators on CD over TV (Ret)

90 Tauren Paladin
Icy veins claims that ret should keep Holy power generating abilities on cd over a tv assuming that inquisition is up and that you dont have 5 holy power, making it so templar's verdict is used at 5 holy power or when all other hp generators are on cd. I have been using Templar verdict at 3 holy power over Holy power generators. Im curious as to which is better for damage. I am also using Holy Avenger so if i go with how icy veins priority would the priority change?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Delaying HP generators is going to result in less damage because you will be using fewer TVs due to generating less HP. You definitely want to hold on to TV until 5 HP or all HP generators are on cooldown.

For Holy Avenger, you basically want to use your highest damaging generators between each TV. So, Hammer of Wrath > Exorcism > Judgment > CS. (That's without 4T15, anyway.)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
The difference between SW and HA isn't that big. Between DP and them, yeah. SW is better, but not that much better.

HA, any time you're using HA it's standard generator priority > TV > standard generator priority > TV for the duration. Using two HP generators under HA means you clip HP and you don't want to do that, and what icy veins says should cover that.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
@sub I know Sanctified Wrath pulls better numbers. ATM I am more comfortable with HA. I was mainly curious if i was doing the optimal rotation/priority for ret.
Edited by Baelovmoo on 5/16/2013 3:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Alright. I am noticing a dps increase from keep hp generators on cd. Thanks
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If you have a builder available and you're at 3-4 Holy Power, then your options are:
A. Builder, TV
B. TV, Builder
Either way, you spend two GCDs, and do the same total damage. But with A, your builder is one GCD closer to being available again, while B has no advantage. So A is preferable.

Note that you don't have to *avoid* using TV at 3-4 HP, builders just take priority. If you don't have any builders available and you're at 3 HP, you should still use TV.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
The only problem I have here boils down to the fact that Ret paladins have the highest downtime of any DPS spec - All my builders are on CD and I can't use TV/ES.

IMO, paladins need DP to be inherent to the spec. While it's an interesting choice as part of the talent tree, and can be useful to all specs, it's just too unreliable on its own (which people complained about while it was our mastery). Stick it back into the spec at 15% flat proc rate (like it was in Cata after our mastery became Hand of Light), and maybe change the talent to make the ability available to the other specs if selected and cause mastery to increase that slightly (maybe base of 2%, mastery increases it at a rate of 1k = 0.9%) or something.

Or it could change divine purpose to allow free use of a holy power ability if all direct attacks are on cooldown. Paladins could use a filler ability.
Edited by Imadkwoot on 5/18/2013 1:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
05/18/2013 01:14 AMPosted by Imadkwoot
The only problem I have here boils down to the fact that Ret paladins have the highest downtime of any DPS spec

No, the spec is fine; you just need more haste.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
With decent gear, Ret downtime is on the order of 7%. I have no idea if this is actually the most downtime of any spec, but even if it is, it's still not actually a lot of downtime.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
The only problem I have here boils down to the fact that Ret paladins have the highest downtime of any DPS spec - All my builders are on CD and I can't use TV/ES.

I'm pretty sure that's rogues and Ferals. Ret's downtime is relatively minimal by comparison, even with low haste (it just feels worse with low haste).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]