Martian internet

90 Goblin Warrior
How do you think people will have the internet on mars?

I supposed there will be a larger satellite that has traffic goin from earth satellites to martian satellites.
Reply Quote
I'm sure they will have servers on Mars. So there will be a Martian internet. But I really don't think that one planet will be able to access another planet's internet. It will take too long for the data to be transferred.
Edited by Arvin on 5/19/2013 10:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
server timeout
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I could think of a way for a Terran and Martian Internet to be integrated. The primary limitation would be the speed of light. Transmissions between the two planets would take anywhere from 4 minutes and 20 minutes in one direction, even longer if some sort of handshake protocol or data integrity measure were in place. That would mean that the Terran and Martian systems need independent systems if the users wish for near-instantaneous access to information.

Data that is frequently accessed would be housed on both planets, with regular verification of edited files, perhaps via time stamps. Less frequently accessed files would require a delay to get a hold of, which the software would no doubt notify you when it's in various states of readiness. You'd probably first get a message saying, "Your requested file has been found and is being transferred." Then it would go on to, "Some errors were found in certain data packets. Would you like to view the file now or wait 40 minutes for verification?" And so on and so forth. You'd better hope that cat video is worth the wait.

Logically, you won't be able to hop onto Skype and chat with your Martian friend in real time, or pop onto a Terran realm while on vacation to see how your auctions are going (or worry about those damn Tharsian gold farmers). But other functions such as email and message boards would work fine, though still with a delay due to the speed of light.

The other big issue, though, is bandwidth. At interplanetary distances, you're going to see radio transmissions between satellites spread themselves out so that everything receives what the other planet is sending. That means that you can't have a dedicated satellite dish for every signal the way we do now. Everything basically comes in one stream. You can split the stream up into separate frequency bands, but this is still limited to the sensitivity of the hardware, which has its theoretical limits. If the population on Mars gets big enough, there is going to be a huge backlog of data passing between planets. You have bad server queues now? Imagine if there are a billion other people waiting ahead of you, just to send an email. Data rationing may prove to be necessary in order to maintain efficient data transfers. Truly, in such a universe, Twitter would be king.
Reply Quote
89 Night Elf Death Knight
Once we get high enough percentages of quantum super-symmetric systems to communicate over large distances, Earth to Mars being a perfect intrastellar scale test, then we will be beyond satellites. The issue is that until we get there, the speed of light is literally a wall to any system outside of the first sentence based transmission and reception technology.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
An interesting thought, although the application of such a device if we ever were to possess one is minute-
The ansible. If you read Ender's Game, you probably understand.
Instant communication of thought through machinery. If I remember right.
Just look it up. :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
An interesting thought, although the application of such a device if we ever were to possess one is minute-
The ansible. If you read Ender's Game, you probably understand.
Instant communication of thought through machinery. If I remember right.
Just look it up. :)

Until physics can conclusively prove that the ansible is possible, we're stuck with light-speed communication. Remember that Ender's Game is a work of fiction, no matter how awesome it is.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/150207-chinese-physicists-measure-speed-of-einsteins-spooky-action-at-a-distance-at-least-10000-times-faster-than-light

This was one the first thoughts that came to mind, and was about to suggest it until I see that you already have!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I know, Tritha, but if such a thing ever existed, then our problems with inter-planetary communication would be relatively moot.
Just saying it would be cool. I'm not saying that it's realistically possible.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
There is currently serious study into implementing the internet on an interplanetary scale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interplanetary_Internet
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
There is currently serious study into implementing the internet on an interplanetary scale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interplanetary_Internet

Huh, that's kind of neat. And I see that the smart people with degrees have many of the same concerns as me.

And, yeah, FTL communication would be pretty cool, so long as it's practical (as in, there are possible ways to do so but they would either use obscene amounts of energy or require precision which is incredibly difficult with our current level of technology). And, until it is, the slow path will still be the way to go.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]