Regarding Human Mages

90 Draenei Hunter
Being somewhat unfamilliar with the lore as it sits, I ask this to you who likely know better:

Where would a human mage have trained to learn their craft? Apprenticing under a master? Is there a mage college or something in existance?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
Well that entirely depends.

In the north you have Dalaran - all mages and wizards of any means had learned their craft in Dalaran, as long as they lived in the north.

However in the southern part of the Eastern Kingdoms things seemed to be a bit different. Stormwind was the most removed of the Seven Kingdoms, it being the furthest south and without sharing a border (maritime or otherwise) with any of the other kingdoms. As such, in Stormwind at least, their own mages were removed from the Kirin Tor and Dalaran.

So while in Dalaran it might start out more like Hogwarts and then go to a Master/Apprentice bit, in Stormwind it would almost exclusively have been Master/Apprentice.
Reply Quote
75 Blood Elf Death Knight
i went to wizard skool but i rebel becoz i am also pirate man and then i hunt the sea for money so i no help u find wizrad man but they learn to be educate in skoolz

dude. This is the most awesome thing I've read all day.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
thx i am prety kool it come from amny year adventure i took ring to ragefirm chasm and save the world ur welkome no problem i got kick out of skool for steal cash $$$ bill from science man becoz he dum
Reply Quote
(Item not found)
Reply Quote
73 Human Mage
I apprenticed to a Master, but not under his old smelly self, the freaking letch,...as if.

As I became more proficient, and spent time in libraries and reading books I had found, I learned quite a bit on my own.

And found trainers in major cities that for a pretty hefty sum of gold would be willing to train me in some of the more difficult spells as I leveled. I also found a portal trainer handy to train me to speed me around Azeroth.

But that first time, learning the basics, yeah, a Master. (And just so you know, you aren't obligated to sleep with the old coot either!)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
(And just so you know, you aren't obligated to sleep with the old coot either!)

*Slicks back hair*

I can teach you so many things... and I don't look my age.
Reply Quote
73 Human Mage
Ugh *shudder*
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
Ugh *shudder*

Hey, if you want to learn Antonidas' Fortieth Algorithm concerning the Eighth Sphere and the Twenty-Ninth Quadrangle you'll do what you're told!
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Don't listen to him dear, he probably has fleas. There is also that annoying sinus condition that makes him sound like he is sniffing glue. He is obviously only interested in sniffing up your skirt.

(snickers) I do hope you take that in the sarcastic fun tone it was intended Iraelius.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
Don't listen to him dear, he probably has fleas. There is also that annoying sinus condition that makes him sound like he is sniffing glue. He is obviously only interested in sniffing up your skirt.

(snickers) I do hope you take that in the sarcastic fun tone it was intended Iraelius.

Only if you take what I'm going to do as anything other than sexual harassment!

*Gropes and flees*
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
*Turns and fires off a very scorching blast of fire at the fleeing (snicker, or fleaing) worgen*

"I hope that singes off the hair on your behind!! Thanks for proving my point!!" huffs and straightens her robes. A glare in his general direction. "Silly dogs...always have their noses in the wrong places!"
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
*Turns and fires off a very scorching blast of fire at the fleeing (snicker, or fleaing) worgen*

"I hope that singes off the hair on your behind!! Thanks for proving my point!!" huffs and straightens her robes. A glare in his general direction. "Silly dogs...always have their noses in the wrong places!"

... Oh what I'd love to say that could get me banned from the forums.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Ha!! I laughed. Thanks for the opportunity to rp a bit on the forums I love it!!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
For Humans, Dalaran was the City of Mages. Students came from every other Kingdom during its prime. It's ruling government is the Kirin Tor, which also dealt with disaster claims regarding the misuse of Arcane Magic throughout the Continent.

While many Magi aspired to advance in the Magocracy, some left the city behind. Archmage Nielas Aran for example became the Court Conjurer of Stormwind, and Archmage Arugal would eventually server Genn Greymane in a similar capacity.

In other cases, some Archmages would have their own sanctums built, and study in Solitude. Mage Towers are not an uncommon sight around the world. Azora and Ilgalar are examples of such Mage Towers.

Either way, these independent Magi were not wholly free of the Kirin Tor. It was not uncommon for Dalaran apprentices to send abroad to learn under these wizards, instead of those in the City, and then return to the Kirin Tor to graduate. Even Medivh, Nielas Aran's son (who wasn't trained in Dalaran), was convinced to take such an apprentice.

After Dalaran's destruction and reconstruction, this tradition resumed. Jaina Proudmoore agreed to take a Dalaran apprentice while she was in Theramore, herself far removed from Dalaran's policies since the Third War.

Archmage Xylem, another independent whose sanctum is in Kalimdor, has been known to have more than a dozen apprentices at a time. This is unusual, and many of his wards have died in service to him. Apprenticeships are still highly sought after despite his insanity.

Stormwind now has it's own Mage School, the Academy of Arcane Arts and Sciences, within the appropriately named Mage Quarter. Its specific origins are unclear, but it is lead by it's own Archmages outside the Kirin Tor (although they have continued dealings). After Dalaran's destruction, this is where Alliance Human Magi were trained, and presumably acted as their regulating body.

These can all be considered formally educated mages. Mages without formal education exist, and have been derogatorily referred to as hedge wizards.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
05/22/2013 03:02 PMPosted by Aurric
Either way, these independent Magi were not wholly free of the Kirin Tor. It was not uncommon for Dalaran apprentices to send abroad to learn under these wizards, instead of those in the City, and then return to the Kirin Tor to graduate. Even Medivh, Nielas Aran's son (who wasn't trained in Dalaran), was convinced to take such an apprentice.

Trying to learn the secrets of these wizards, mostly.

These can all be considered formally educated mages. Mages without formal education exist, and have been derogatorily referred to as hedge wizards.

Don't sorcerers also fall under this category? Or are they just those who require no training?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Don't sorcerers also fall under this category? Or are they just those who require no training?

Only the Rpg distinguished between "sorcerers" and "wizards". There's been no support from canon material.

I assume them to be synonymous; it just depends on writer preference at the time. Knaak says Wizard a lot, indiscriminately, and Golden completely avoids the word.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]