Shaman Tanking ~ New Spec

(Locked)

90 Orc Warrior
I find the amount of tanking abilities on a shaman, especially as enhancement, to point that a shaman should be a viable tanking class.

If not, there should be a 4th specialization such as the guardian spec for druids, called Earthguard or something that uses either dual wield or 1hnd + shield or a staff, lots of room to theorycraft around that. Dual wield/staff could get a huge boost to armor to equate to a shield. And if you used a shield it would give you a boost to attack speed and attack power/damage dealt. Certain Glyphs can be removed and there can be some of the stuff from enhancement and elemental carried over to this new spec.

Glyphs could be something like;

• Glyph of Rockbiter : Causes Rockbiter to reduce damage taken by an additional 25% and threat by an additional 70%
  • Glyph of Fire Nova : Fire Nova now spreads Weakened Blows to spread to all targets hit
  • Glyph of the Wolves : Feral Spirits are summoned they instantly taunt your target and take 10% reduced damage
  • Glyph of The Rock Johnson : The elemental summoned from the Earth Elemental Totem has 55% more health and gets damage reduction equal to yours
  • Some of the unique abilities for the new spec;

Earthen Weapons : Each attack has a 100% chance to proc an ability similar to maelstrom weapon that works differently in that it can only be used for heals and each stack increases healing done and the duration of the heal by 30% each and is effected by mastery, 15 second cooldown between procs stacks up to 15 times and has a 3 minute duration every stack past 3 also leaves a heal over time for 2 seconds per stack for 20% of the base heal.

Improved Feral Spirits : Feral Spirits cooldown is reduced by 30 seconds and they heal for 20% more.

Stonewall : You gain 55% more stamina from items take a passive 10% less damage and gain 100% more threat.

Superior Edge : Attack Power scales into Block, Parry, and Dodge lightly by 1000 per .75%

Lifestone : Each attack has a chance to heal yourself for 1% of maximum health, cannot occur more than once every 2 seconds.
    Edited by Arash on 5/8/2013 12:29 PM PDT
    90 Orc Shaman
    NEW THINGS ON FORUMS YAY
    90 Blood Elf Monk
    People are going to call you a troll because of this topic but I like what you wrote.
    100 Pandaren Shaman
    arash pls

arash sigh
    90 Orc Warrior
    well im literally serious about this lol, 100% think it should exist
    70 Orc Shaman
    Arash, what are you doin? Arash, STAHP
    90 Pandaren Shaman
    How many times must this horse be beaten. Honestly a good chunk of the shaman community (on forums) have said many times we don't want a tank spec so stop bringing this up yes we can use shields but that means nothing about tanking considering 3 of the 5 tanks don't use shields
    90 Draenei Shaman
    I've been very vocal about this in the past. There's nothing more in this game I'd like more than a shaman tanking spec.

It would be a perfect fit for the whole element-based theme we have. I know you're posting this for some blue to come by and decide to champion this idea in the future.

BUT... Unfortunately I don't think it will ever happen.

Think of it this way... If you've spent any time on the forums, you're very familiar with how "up in arms" people get when there's even the slightest perceived unwarranted imbalance/attention to one class over the rest. If they added the wonderful idea of a tanking shaman, the forums would literally explode with people demanding tanking/healing/whatever additions to their own class. "I want a healing mage! I want a tanking priest! WTF Shamans get another spec! I'm QUITTING THIS EFFING GAME!"

If I was a developer, that's one hornet's nest I wouldn't want to stir. Ever.

Also, you have to come at it from a financial and marketing perspective. The work you pay your developers to do must, in the end, give the perception that it would increase revenue by at least what you paid for it. Adding a tanking class to a spec just doesn't sell new copies of the game, nor is it as shiny and sexy as a brand new class like a monk.

Don't get me wrong, I'd personally volunteer my time to help develop the idea of a shaman tank and I'd absolutely LOVE playing one, but in the end I just don't think they'd ever do it.
    90 Orc Warrior
    I get that other people would want their classes to tank and heal aswell but I mean, why not do it for the classes itd make sense to heal or tank, we have enough classes why not add more specs to the existing classes. Although rogues and mages, even warriors shouldn't really get anything added to them, priests aswell. Most classes have what they are supposed to have but I feel as if shamans belong with a tank spec or making enhancement a tank spec.
    90 Pandaren Shaman
    shaman was originally designed as a support class providing different buffs via totems that's changed of course we weren't intended to tank and after time we finally got our tankish talents removed
    90 Orc Warrior
    rockbiter threat?
    90 Pandaren Shaman
    rogues symbiosis
    90 Orc Warrior
    the rockbiter taunt
    90 Draenei Shaman
    I like the enhance spec very much the way it is, tyvm. IMO it would ruin the spec to try to hybridize it even further.

I think a shaman tank absolutely makes sense. Air = enhance, water = resto, fire = elemental, so earth = (tank). In addition, there really isn't any fundamental archetype for shamans in fantasy, so they can pretty much do whatever they want in designing the entire class, including adding a tank spec.

But adding another spec for a class, even if it makes perfect sense on a gameplay/thematic level, just won't add enough to the game for them to be worth the effort. There's just way too many drawbacks to adding just one spec to one class, and most of it has to do with pissing off players that aren't getting anything tangible in return. Even if they decided to do it, they'd have to spend the hours working on it that they'd otherwise spend on something else that most likely would bring more enjoyment to much more of the playerbase (like extra dungeons/bosses/scenarios/whatever).

I'm with you, dude. I'd love it. Just realize that this is a very old topic. Some great ideas have been proposed for it, and nothing's ever come of it. I can almost guarantee you the devs have considered it (or in the very least, been aware of it). It'll just have to remain a pipe dream for many of us.
    90 Blood Elf Monk
    How many times must this horse be beaten. Honestly a good chunk of the shaman community (on forums) have said many times we don't want a tank spec so stop bringing this up yes we can use shields but that means nothing about tanking considering 3 of the 5 tanks don't use shields

Don't speak for all shamans. I would love to tank of my shaman if they made a 4th spec and really polished it. Would really love to see it.

Also it could be dwing tank and have earth shield with some added bonuses for tank spec the main shield.
    Edited by Johnz on 5/8/2013 2:04 PM PDT
    100 Tauren Shaman
    05/08/2013 10:39 AMPosted by Arash
    I find the amount of tanking abilities on a shaman, especially as enhancement, to point that a shaman should be a viable tanking class.

with that logic

rogues should tank because evasion

warlocks should tank because dark apotheosis

hunters should tank because bestial wrath

shadow priests should tank because shadowform

just because shamans have unleash rockbiter doesn't mean that they should have a magical special 4th spec added. shamans could never effectively tank anything beyond wailing caverns anyways, even in vanilla. i was there, i have the FOS to prove it.

and to all the people saying "i'd love to play a shaman tank!" - how the heck do you know if you'd love it? you don't know how this hypothetical never-to-exist specialization would play. maybe you're hate it. maybe it'd require totem weaving and pet management and stance dancing and all kinds of such nonsense that nobody likes.
    90 Orc Warrior
    with that logic

inb4 those have no threat gain, those are defensive cooldowns, rockbiter is useless in all forms lol, not a cooldown its a dps loss to use over frost or fire imbue
    90 Draenei Shaman
    In case you're all up for some more futile reading about shaman tanking, these are my (ongoing) ideas for this forever-imaginary spec:

1. Revamp Unleash Elements: Rockbiter to something other than a 5 sec fixate (I like the taunt idea, but it'd need a shortened CD)
    2. Use Earth Shield
    3. Have Earth Shock function as always, and use it to keep the weakened blows effect applied as part of "active mitigation".
    4. Maelstrom mechanic -- I like the idea above boosting heals received, but I'd again prefer it be more active mitigation, much like SotR for pallies.
    5. Use the monk's Stagger mechanic. I think this is a fantastic mechanic... I just can't bring myself to make a tank that throws beer as part of their rotation...
    6. Dual Wield. I loved the idea of frost tanking (aside from parry-gibbing yourself without expertise)
    90 Draenei Shaman
    with that logic

/Agreed -- this is no basis for an argument for a viable tanking spec

05/08/2013 02:16 PMPosted by Naqoyqatsi
    and to all the people saying "i'd love to play a shaman tank!" - how the heck do you know if you'd love it?

I can't say I've ever played a class/spec I didn't enjoy. But that's a very valid argument as well. There's no guarantee this spec, in a hypothetical sense, would be developed (in imaginary land) in the way we're suggesting. But I'd rather have the option to try it and hate it than to not have the option at all.
    90 Orc Warrior
    I think it should be more self-healing based then damage reduction :o
    This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]