low levels need love too!

31 Tauren Monk
as you can see i've been spending my time on my monk lately, and it's been a blast. but there is one problem i've had and that is the fact there are absolutely no class restrictions on rolls in dungeons

meaning the couple of dungeons i run in a day at least one person there needs on everything and takes the gear i could really use. sure, they go by fast but getting those first 60 levels through pure dungeon power gets really disheartening when you lose a roll to someone who's just there to be a nuisance. the technology is there, so why is it limited to higher end content?
Reply Quote
51 Human Paladin
The problem is they have to go through all the old loot tables and manually flag items for specific classes and specs I believe. It's incredibly time consuming I assume. There should be a way to automate it I would imagine, but I haven't been into programming in years. But yes, it does suck. Had a scholo run today with a rogue that needed on everything. Had a 4 hour kick protection. I wonder why...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
It happens. Just keep in mind that most of the gear is a) Replaceable in 3-5 levels (through questing or otherwise, even faster between expansions.) and b) Not actually required to complete anything. I'm quite confident that 5 players with half a clue could complete lower lvl dungeons naked aside from their weapons.

Losing a HoJ to a Balance Druid who is barely even auto attacking does suck though.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
There's not even a full set of plate healing gear before TBC

Level 39 Warriors allowed to roll on agi mail, or are they restricted to nothing, level 39 hunters not allowed to roll on agi mail until they ding 40?

Can I not have that ring with crit on it over my 2 stamina ring, because it has 3 agility on it?

Does it matter all that much, as you'll be replacing everything within an hour anyways?

Also, stop worrying so much about losing rolls, it turns you into a bitter person, especially at 90 when you literally become obsessed over every dice roll and stop enjoying the world for what it's worth. (The downfall of the purple parade that LFR has created)
Reply Quote
61 Draenei Paladin
Good point. Azane.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Agreed with Azane. Even though gear doesn't matter much at low levels, many things are usable that people wouldn't stand for at level cap. There is no stat buff for wearing the right type of gear. If I'm a holy paladin and a piece of cloth with int and spirit drops, you bet I'm rolling on it.
Reply Quote
31 Tauren Monk
okay you all make valid points
i'll admit i have some emotional issues but that's just me
still, i think it'd be best interest to put some restrictions in the dungeons, such as if you can't equip it or use it at all you cant need on it
i've already got three 90s with another on its way, sometimes i just want to forget that and have some fun
Edited by Maih on 5/9/2013 3:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
The problem is they have to go through all the old loot tables and manually flag items for specific classes and specs I believe. It's incredibly time consuming I assume. There should be a way to automate it I would imagine, but I haven't been into programming in years. But yes, it does suck. Had a scholo run today with a rogue that needed on everything. Had a 4 hour kick protection. I wonder why...

I really could not see that process taking more than a few hours for a single person to do, unless someone cares to enlighten me.
Reply Quote
4 Blood Elf Warlock
Not going to disagree with you Maih. But, you're going to out level the gear so fast that putting much development time into greens and blues would be a waste. I mean, you're wearing bunny ears and nothing's enchanted! How serious are you needing gear at the lower levels? When I leveled up recently bosses were getting destroyed in seconds. There was barely time to go through a rotation or two before groups were smacking the next loot pinata.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I really could not see that process taking more than a few hours for a single person to do, unless someone cares to enlighten me.

Before you even get to the actual items, you'd need discussion surrounding the level 40 transitions. Should you block Warriors who've just dinged 40 from rolling on Mail already? Where to cut off?

Then of course, how do you deal with silly items?
Who the hell gets to use The Dreamer's Shoulderpads or or Heaven's Light? Should any of the ones who can use the item be legitimately denied it?
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
05/09/2013 06:08 PMPosted by Slashlove

Before you even get to the actual items, you'd need discussion surrounding the level 40 transitions. Should you block Warriors who've just dinged 40 from rolling on Mail already? Where to cut off?

Who the hell gets to use The Dreamer's Shoulderpads or or Heaven's Light? Should any of the ones who can use the item be legitimately denied it?

Relics from times long past when useful stats were much more...unique
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
05/08/2013 10:03 PMPosted by Maih
sure, they go by fast but getting those first 60 levels through pure dungeon power gets really disheartening when you lose a roll to someone who's just there to be a nuisance.

I've been leveling up a monk lately and I agree with this 100%.

I really don't care about the low level loot, I have all the BoA gear available to me and nothing is going to make a big difference in my damage done or survivability.

To have someone win an item though, especially when they're rude, annoying, or just ignorant is depressing. Random people rolling need on Crusader Orbs, profession patterns for tradeskills they don't have, or Bind on Pick up gear that they are going to sell to a vendor. It's internet anonymity at it's worst.

Lately the groups I get you always have one guy who's rolling need on everything. He's the type of person who goes to a convention and steals everything not bolted to the ground. It's that "free swag" he was promised.
Reply Quote
Simple solution is; sign up as the dungeon leader, and set the loot so they can only roll need if it fits their class. It will also limit them to rollling greed if their item level is a certain point above the item level of what they are rolling on. I forget what the call it, but I know it's there. And if they whine they can't roll need, you tell them it more fair this way; if they don't like it, they can leave.

Some who always roll need on stuff need it for disenchanting items to build up their enchanting profession; most who do it usually just want sell it to a vendor so they can pad their moneybag. That get really annoying when you have been running a certain instance many times waiting for that rare drop you need, and some greedy doink beats you out of it on their "need" roll when they will just sell it to a vendor for a few gold.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
05/09/2013 06:08 PMPosted by Slashlove

Armor switch is at 40 but armor specialization is at 50. 10 levels is adequate for a player to transition over at which point they will be locked out of their previous type. It would follow that any class meant to wear leather could roll on a piece of leather gear that includes stats desirable to them. None of these are really brain teasers, certainly not for someone whos job it is to sort these things out at least.

Besides that, its a balance issue, not a technical one. If it doesn't work, it can be tweaked, it doesn't rquire the setting up of a whole new system, and just because something isn't immediately obvious doesn't mean it shouldn't be attempted.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]