We asked for High Elves, we got High Elves

100 Night Elf Hunter
Blizzard obviously reads these forums and changed their story when they saw the 9999 "Alliance needs Helfs" threads.

How else can you explain the massive amounts of Helf lore and NPCS in 5.1 and 5.2? One would think they are the 2nd most populous race in the Alliance.

The Helfs were probably something gross like Draenei or Worgen before we begged Blizz to change them.
Edited by Threeslotbag on 5/9/2013 3:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
96 Undead Warlock
The Helfs were probably something gross like Draenei or Worgen before we begged Blizz to change them.

What, you mean Model wise?
http://www.wowpedia.org/File:Adon.jpg
http://www.wowpedia.org/File:Ranger_Lord_Hawkspear_Old.jpg
http://www.wowpedia.org/File:Caledra_Dawnbreeze-old.jpg
http://www.wowpedia.org/File:Elsharin.jpg

Cause, they were pretty bad before they were updated to use the blood elf model.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Well... I wouldn't rush things like that. Blizz has a history of completely nonsense which turns out to look like sadism towards the playerbase. It's perfectly possible considering their weird logic that rubbing Helves on our faces as some sort of "present" was really... "EPIC!!!". Wouldn't surprise me to see a tweet were Kosak or Metzen says "oh, we just thought Alliance players would like to see them active, but we never had any plans to make them playable".

I'm just waiting here... and I don't know if I will cry or laugh. lol

Anyways, what do you mean by "gross"? Just random Horde bias?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
05/09/2013 03:10 AMPosted by Ximothy

Cause, they were pretty bad before they were updated to use the blood elf model.

I meant Helfs being the main Alliance race of the 5.1 and 5.2 story when it comes to all things magical. If they didn't have the spotlight the Draenei probably would have been in that role instead.
Reply Quote
96 Undead Warlock
I meant Helfs being the main Alliance race of the 5.1 and 5.2 story when it comes to all things magical. If they didn't have the spotlight the Draenei probably would have been in that role instead.

The Silver Covenant are the only faction I can think of that annoys me, because they seem to be doing well for a race on the brink of extinction.

I think that it should've been the Darnassian Offensive, led by Tyrande (replacing Jaina), Shandris (replacing Vareesa), as well as other Night elven characters helping the Night elves against the Thunder King/Blood elves.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock

I doubt it... It's far more possible to Blizz shove a bunch of Humans down the Alliance throat instead of giving lore to another race.

Well, maybe they're holding something back for the next expansion. I have some hope, but I don't believe it can actually happen...
Edited by Osiria on 5/9/2013 3:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
What Helf Lore?
Reply Quote
96 Undead Warlock
What Helf Lore?

Well, in Cataclysm it showed that Vareesa and her people are still loyal to her homeland, if not the government, and her rangers will work with their Blood elven kin for the betterment of Quel'Thalas. That shows that High elves still retain loyalty to Quel'Thalas, and that is devolpment.

Then, in MoP, there is the fact that High elves led the charge against the Sunreavers, marking themselves in lore as the primary push to remove the Blood elves from Dalaran. Then, Vereesa displays her loyalty to Jaina as she follows out her mistress's orders without problem.

On Thunder Isle, High elves are shown to be the primary source of the kirin tor's military might, that is lore. Several High elven NPCs are important in Alliance questing, marking them as important to the Alliance storyline and overall lore.
Reply Quote
It wouldn't make sense for Draenei to be on the Isle. They're not Kirin Tor.

The High Elf/Silver Covenant story line started in WoTLK. This is nothing new.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
05/09/2013 05:50 AMPosted by Draile
It wouldn't make sense for Draenei to be on the Isle. They're not Kirin Tor.

Except there are drenaei(even a drenaei commoner) in the Isle.
Reply Quote
Then, in MoP, there is the fact that High elves led the charge against the Sunreavers, marking themselves in lore as the primary push to remove the Blood elves from Dalaran. Then, Vereesa displays her loyalty to Jaina as she follows out her mistress's orders without problem.

On Thunder Isle, High elves are shown to be the primary source of the kirin tor's military might, that is lore. Several High elven NPCs are important in Alliance questing, marking them as important to the Alliance storyline and overall lore.

All of this isn't really High Elf Lore.

It is Kirin Tor Lore. High Elf Lore would be an example of your first paragraph. The fact that the High Elves make up a ridiculous ammount of the Kirin Tor's standing military isn't High Elf Lore.
Reply Quote
05/09/2013 03:12 AMPosted by Threeslotbag

Had the Mogu been collaborating with the Legion, I could see them sending their army. Hell, I'd imagine the Shattered Sun probably would've showed up.

But without that? I'd imagine they'd only send a small support force like they tend to do.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
05/09/2013 03:00 AMPosted by Threeslotbag
How else can you explain the massive amounts of Helf lore and NPCS in 5.1 and 5.2?

Like this:

05/09/2013 05:50 AMPosted by Draile
The High Elf/Silver Covenant story line started in WoTLK. This is nothing new.

They wanted to continue Jaina's character development in the wake of Tides of War. Jaina's story involves Dalaran. The Silver Covenant is an important part of Dalaran.

05/09/2013 03:12 AMPosted by Threeslotbag
If they didn't have the spotlight the Draenei probably would have been in that role instead.

Maybe if they established that a large number of draenei joined the Kirin Tor in WotLK or ToW. They didn't.

05/09/2013 03:17 AMPosted by Ximothy
The Silver Covenant are the only faction I can think of that annoys me, because they seem to be doing well for a race on the brink of extinction.

Races like the blood elves, gnomes, draenei, jungle trolls and even orcs are also "on the brink of extinction", but they seem to be doing pretty well too.
Reply Quote
Races like the blood elves, gnomes, draenei, jungle trolls and even orcs are also "on the brink of extinction", but they seem to be doing pretty well too.

When you think about it, basically everyone but Goblins, Dwarves, and Pandaria races should be near extinction.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahaha...ha...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
While the endless "high elf for the alliance" threads might have played a part, I think it was more that the High Elves worked both as foils for the blood elves and a convenient tool to give Dalaran back to the Alliance.
Personally, I hate the amount of sceen time the Silver Covenant is getting this expansion, I would have much rather have had a conflict between the night elf highborn and blood elves rather than the fourteenth iteration of the silver covenant and sunreaver dispute. It would have given screen time to a group that desperately needs it while simultaneously displaying the differences between the two races. High elves are just too similar to the blood elves now, both in attitude and motivation.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Death Knight
05/09/2013 09:54 AMPosted by Rainasa
I would have much rather have had a conflict between the night elf highborn and blood elves rather than the fourteenth iteration of the silver covenant and sunreaver dispute.

Yet, hasn't it been noted in-game that the Highborne are seemingly inept when compared with High Elves/Blood Elves?
Reply Quote
73 Worgen Rogue
I don't mind High Elves, they were an iconic Alliance race in the older games and I enjoy seeing them take an active part in the Alliance again.

If High Elves were playable I'd play one.
Edited by Donnie on 5/9/2013 12:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
73 Worgen Rogue
05/09/2013 11:04 AMPosted by Fyorsing
I would have much rather have had a conflict between the night elf highborn and blood elves rather than the fourteenth iteration of the silver covenant and sunreaver dispute.

Yet, hasn't it been noted in-game that the Highborne are seemingly inept when compared with High Elves/Blood Elves?

Not at all. IT is even mentioned that the Blood Elves are unsettled by the reappearance of the Highborne.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
We got High Elves because Blood Elves were getting development.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]