We asked for High Elves, we got High Elves

10 Blood Elf Rogue
Showing up as aimless mooks for the Horde to kill is a pretty loose definition of "new lore."
Reply Quote
Showing up as aimless mooks for the Horde to kill is a pretty loose definition of "new lore."

Aimless? Their goals are 1. Fight the Horde and 2. Help the Shado-pan defeat the Thunder King and take his power for their own. To fight the Horde. :P
Reply Quote
10 Blood Elf Rogue
05/09/2013 02:49 PMPosted by Cártian

Aimless? Their goals are 1. Fight the Horde and 2. Help the Shado-pan defeat the Thunder King and take his power for their own. To fight the Horde. :P

You mean Jaina Proudmoore's stated goal that we the players did for her? I'm not really seeing high elf lore here. I'm seeing blood elves with blue eyes (and some with blue hair, bizarrely) getting killed for PVP dailies.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that the Silver Covenant seems to be the entirety of the Kirin Tor's military for some disappointing reason. I just tend to associate "lore" with more than just getting killed for PVP quests.
Edited by Falsetto on 5/9/2013 2:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Yet, hasn't it been noted in-game that the Highborne are seemingly inept when compared with High Elves/Blood Elves?

That's the young unskilled new Night Elf mages. The Highborne are quite skilled.

All of this isn't really High Elf Lore.

It is Kirin Tor Lore. High Elf Lore would be an example of your first paragraph. The fact that the High Elves make up a ridiculous ammount of the Kirin Tor's standing military isn't High Elf Lore.

No, it's both. It's like saying the moment when Blood Elves joined the Horde isn't Blood Elf, but instead, only Horde lore.
Reply Quote
You mean Jaina Proudmoore's stated goal that we the players did for her? I'm not really seeing high elf lore here. I'm seeing blood elves with blue eyes (and some with blue hair, bizarrely) getting killed for PVP dailies.

Just because it doenst directly constitute High Elf lore doesnt mean they were aimless. :P
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock

Funny. Same can be said to Blood Elves. The only difference is that you can play them...

05/09/2013 02:58 PMPosted by Falsetto
You mean Jaina Proudmoore's stated goal that we the players did for her?

Again. Same can be said for Theron. He decided to get something out of the Thunder King, and you have to do it.
Reply Quote
10 Blood Elf Rogue
Funny. Same can be said to Blood Elves. The only difference is that you can play them...

That's silly. Blood elves went there to "secure their future," get revenge for the whole Sunreaver fiasco ("It's time to remind the Kirin Tor that the sin'dorei do not suffer betrayal lightly."), and to, yeah, do all that generic hero stuff they make us do for them. What they got out of the deal was blood magic from the dark anima, new insight into the Sunreaver betrayal, the magi giving some lore to the arcane crystals and guardians from TBC, and a nice little appearance of pretty much every hallmark of the Thalassian military. It propelled the blood elven agenda forward with input from every single one of the race's leaders (well, sans Liadrin. Poor Liadrin.)

High elves got to give a staff to Jaina (well, they didn't; we did), whip out recycled robots, and listen to their leader mourn poor scrappy Rhonin. They were treated to stiff and unimaginative dialogue (a common complaint about the Alliance experience in 5.2, actually) and made absolutely zero mention of any high elven plight or goal beyond "For the Kirin Tor!"

I'm really not seeing it.

Though, we did get those stupid mages who opt to melee Horde with a one-hander. That's... lore. I guess.
Edited by Falsetto on 5/9/2013 3:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/09/2013 03:44 PMPosted by Falsetto
High elves got to give a staff to Jaina (well, they didn't; we did), whip out recycled robots, and listen to their leader mourn poor scrappy Rhonin.

Those High Elves consider Dalaran their capital now. So they simply gave the magic to their leader. Just like the Horde did.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Races like the blood elves, gnomes, draenei, jungle trolls and even orcs are also "on the brink of extinction", but they seem to be doing pretty well too.

Pretty much this. Like everyone else, it would seem that the High Elves devastatingly low population has been greatly exaggerated.

Though I wish we could have seen some sort of Draenei and Highborne presence by now.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Maybe some of these races had extremely high populations to begin with, so they remain forces to be reckoned with even after being reduced to 5-10% strength.

It's a shame about your maze runner, by the way.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Maybe some of these races had extremely high populations to begin with, so they remain forces to be reckoned with even after being reduced to 5-10% strength.

Most likely this. As players we don't really effect the lore anyways, population included.

It's a shame about your maze runner, by the way.

Aw, thanks hun, she was a peach :(
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I meant Helfs being the main Alliance race of the 5.1 and 5.2 story when it comes to all things magical. If they didn't have the spotlight the Draenei probably would have been in that role instead.
Agree
They give focus to a damn race that is not even playable. It is sad. Hopefully they die all the high elves. Or they could go to the horde.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
How else can you explain the massive amounts of Helf lore and NPCS in 5.1 and 5.2? One would think they are the 2nd most populous race in the Alliance.

They are the second most populous race in Dalaran, and Dalaran is pretty much the most active Alliance faction in 5.2.

But the vast majority of the High elf lore and NPCs that we see in 5.2 (and not so much in 5.1) has been there since Wrath of the Lich King. The High Elves may not have been so front-and-center then as they are now, but that's because Dalaran itself wasn't so front-and-center then as it is now.

The Helfs were probably something gross like Draenei or Worgen before we begged Blizz to change them.

Unlikely. Neither the Draenei nor the Worgen had much of a presence in Dalaran; certainly not nearly as much as the High Elves have had.

I wouldn't have minded seeing Draenei and Worgen mages comparing notes with Kirin Tor mages, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to have happened.
Edited by Gibbons on 5/9/2013 8:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
We don't "get" High Elves until I can race-change my characters.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
05/09/2013 08:13 PMPosted by Serendia
I meant Helfs being the main Alliance race of the 5.1 and 5.2 story when it comes to all things magical. If they didn't have the spotlight the Draenei probably would have been in that role instead.
Agree
They give focus to a damn race that is not even playable. It is sad. Hopefully they die all the high elves. Or they could go to the horde.

Honestly, I'd rather all the night elves die first. Not that I want that to happen, but I'd prefer it to what you just said.

There is not a single night elf in lore I care about. Night elf lore relating to the race as a whole was cool... but it's been gutted. Blood Elves to the Horde is in so many respects a mistake of storytelling as it's been executed and presented. If we are essentially preserving a weird sort of middle-ground status quo between WC2 and WC3 in themes (which seems to be the case), it's strange for High Elves to be with the orcs. So yeah, High Elves add more to the game effectively than Night Elves do.
Reply Quote
14 Pandaren Shaman
05/09/2013 12:35 PMPosted by Donnie

Yet, hasn't it been noted in-game that the Highborne are seemingly inept when compared with High Elves/Blood Elves?

Not at all. IT is even mentioned that the Blood Elves are unsettled by the reappearance of the Highborne.

I believe he was referring to a short quest chain in Azshara, where a blood elf has you go into a highborne camp and hack their arcane construct. While they were mainly students they did have an actual highborne mage with them who you kill.

Then the quest text states that arcane constructs like that one have been outlawed for 1500 years because of their instability and that they are prone to being tampered with.

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=14430
Reply Quote
Honestly, I'd rather all the night elves die first. Not that I want that to happen, but I'd prefer it to what you just said.
The lore of the Night Elves, is better, they are more, are more powerful, more loyal and less selfish.

You just want the high elves because they are "pretty".

Bothers me that they are part of the alliance, if you analyze it well they are only for convenience, if they could or had the power, would move away from the alliance. They've done it once, at the end of the second war.

Death to the high elves!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
05/10/2013 10:21 AMPosted by Rholand

I'm maining a female dwarf and you're accusing my motivations for liking High Elves on the basis of being pretty?

No, I laid it out. WoW's stuck on the echoes of WC with every other race, but there's two weird holdouts that're not with the faction they started out on - Broken Draenei and Blood (High) Elves. One of these was a major part of WC lore prior. The night elves had better lore, but they've been gutted for the sake of compatibility.

Yeesh.
Reply Quote
05/10/2013 11:22 AMPosted by Fifira

I'm maining a female dwarf and you're accusing my motivations for liking High Elves on the basis of being pretty?

No, I laid it out. WoW's stuck on the echoes of WC with every other race, but there's two weird holdouts that're not with the faction they started out on - Broken Draenei and Blood (High) Elves. One of these was a major part of WC lore prior. The night elves had better lore, but they've been gutted for the sake of compatibility.

Yeesh.

That is very good justification. That's one of the first arguments for High Elves I've agreed with.
Edited by Cártian on 5/10/2013 11:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Death Knight

It's worth mentioning, in response to the quoted statement, that there have been many people on these forums who have posited that they'd still play High Elves even if their model was changed in a fairly grotesque manner; which shouldn't be unexpected considering we're on the Story Forum, where many people often select their races based upon historical and cultural peculiarities.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]