Transitioning to LFR

90 Tauren Shaman
If someone would mind scanning over my reforges, gems, and enchants, I'd greatly appreciate it.

How much Spirit is recommended? I'm sitting at 6.5k, and I don't feel like I have enough.

Are healing assignments made in LFR? How do I know who I should heal? Should I just heal everyone?

Any tips for the 5.0 LFRs?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I'm not the Shaman expert by any means, but:

Fill your empty major glyph slot. I'm not entirely sure what the best choice for this would be, but I hear people really like the Glyph of Chaining in high spread-high movement fights, and I've seen quite a few glyph Healing Stream Totem.

Enchant your offhand with +180 to intellect

For spirit, that's entirely up to you. You can get in and heal and see how much you want, it's really a personal preference. You generally want enough that you're not parched for mana, but not so much that you could stand to lose some (in favor of better stats).

As far as healing in the LFR environment, there are no assignments. It varies from group to group- if all 6 healers are healing, it's very easy because that's simply over-healing the content by a long shot. If a few of them are lazy or dps'ing, you might actually have to watch CD's, manage your mana, and overall just play more effectively.

I keep an eye on both tanks, for me it's bubbles, for you it's earth shield for one. I'd then focus on raid wide damage healing, using the DBM timers as a bit of a hint as to what's to come.

All of the t14 content is pretty easy from a healing perspective, simply because many of the people who enter them are overgeared for the content. There's significantly more stacking in t14 than t15.

You'll find that with gear, your ability to have static spirit will greatly increase, allowing you to gem more freely for stats you'd like as well as hit certain break points of you choosing. At this time, with your gear, I wouldn't worry too much about hitting any specific breakpoints other than the one's you've already met. It's likely to be more of a stress than a benefit.

Also, enjoy your healer!
Edited by Naérdriel on 5/9/2013 5:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I am not sure on Shaman stat weights, but your reforges look very deliberate and not random, so you have an idea of what you want.

Your gems are good. Replace the purple in your legs with straight spirit. Set bonus is useless.

As the other guy said Spirit is a personal preference. If all you are doing is healing LFR and never planning to go into ToT normal then you can probably get by with as little as 8k or so and just be very judicious with your spell casting.

LFR healing is borderline suicidally boring. Sure people stand in bad, but the bad stuff rarely does CRAZY amounts of damage. Tank damage is laughable. You can probably get by with just chain heal spamming (mana permitting). Hell, when I go to LFR I just beacon one tank, heal the other and never hard cast on the raid, just help out with LoD and Holy Prism and nearly always sit at top of the meters. It's super easy. I will recommend attempting to get into a raid group once you hit about 495-500 ilvl because healing really gets fun in normals.

Hope you enjoy healing!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Hah I got this shammy to 90 just a little wile ago and went through the whole 5.0 lfr process as well. As someone who already has 2 healing priests and a healing druid playing the shammy was a bit more of a challenge.

There are no healing assignments in LFR, you mostly just heal everybody. Keep ES on the tank and drop HR on the melee/tank group. Most damage from the bosses come in at roughly 1 minute intervals. You have three 3-Minute cooldowns, so the natural thing to do is to rotate them. In most cases other healers will use their tranqs and hymns on the first big damaging attack so I normally use something like SLT or Ascendance for the first big attack then drop HTT for the second.

If there is nothing but small amount of triage healing going off here and there don't waste your mana trying to heal them using Riptide/HW/CH. You will just burn through your mana too fast. I use HST for that, it's a awesome little triage healing ability.

As other have stated more spirit would help you a bunch. Try getting things like the Inscription offhand, the PVP Spirit trinket, and the Honor Helm, Shoulders, and Cloak. All I did was run heroics and convert the JP to Honor. Once you hit the 8-9k spirit things do get a bit better, I'm personally aiming towards the 12k range before I feel comfortable enough with it.

Also keep in mind you are very close to the HSTx1 and HTTx1 breakpoint of 3764 Haste. Once you get some more gear it can't hurt to go ahead and get it. That's what I did about a week ago when I was in your exact situation.
Edited by Domlo on 5/9/2013 5:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Thanks for the help, everyone! LFR doesn't sound too bad, mechanics seem simple enough.

I am not sure on Shaman stat weights, but your reforges look very deliberate and not random, so you have an idea of what you want.

Right now, Spirit > Crit > Mastery > Haste.

05/09/2013 05:04 AMPosted by Naérdriel
I keep an eye on both tanks, for me it's bubbles, for you it's earth shield for one.

If I have Vuhdo configured to display Earth Shield buffs, will it also show Earth Shields that other Shaman cast?

05/09/2013 05:46 AMPosted by Domlo
Also keep in mind you are very close to the HSTx1 and HTTx1 breakpoint of 3764 Haste. Once you get some more gear it can't hurt to go ahead and get it.

I noticed that and half-considered trying to get it, but I'd rather not lose Spirit or Crit right now. I should probably hit it naturally while I'm gearing up.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Most deliberately reach the 3764 haste cap by reforging Crit --> Haste. I think you may be right, that at this time, it's just not feasibly attainable. Especially since you get mana return on crit stacking, and with your gear, that's more sustainable than haste stacking, which will eat up more mana than the throughput would save you.

There's an article that covers Mastery vs Crit in extreme detail.

http://lifeingroup5.com/?p=2965

Of course, this presents a problem with your spirit. Once you've gotten a bit more gear, the first BP will seem much more sustainable and feasible.

This is a bit into your future, but look at this:

Tier 15 4pc: Non-critical hits of our single-target spells–GHW, HW, RT, HS, and UE–will have a 50% chance to trigger to trigger AA.

So, knowing this, it will be pretty silly to stack crit at that level. Instead, you can focus on other stats more aggressively, and stack a bit less spirit and crit.

As far as Vuhdo, I'm pretty sure you can track "blacklisted" auras, and I'd assume that includes buffs that other players put on a player (and potentially, you can select just earthshield). I use Elvui with some tweaks, so I've not got a lot of experience in this. I know I personally see the weakened soul debuff from my shields, as well as other disc priests. So I'd assume it's pretty common to have that feature in party/raid frames.
Edited by Naérdriel on 5/10/2013 4:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
LFR healing isn't nearly as complex as you're making it out to be. Lots of people go into LFR ungemmed/unenchanted and do just fine. Damage is tuned to be relatively survivable. Try to focus tanks and make sure they don't die. Other than that, you can go ahead and raid heal. Plenty of geared healers are still in MSV farming for sigils (I only got mine last week). Sit back, raid heal a bit, and enjoy the carry!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
If someone would mind scanning over my reforges, gems, and enchants, I'd greatly appreciate it.

How much Spirit is recommended? I'm sitting at 6.5k, and I don't feel like I have enough.

Are healing assignments made in LFR? How do I know who I should heal? Should I just heal everyone?

Hello Nahuul! I'm actually from your server (well, not on this character anymore, but I WAS on MG until recently).

I have some quick tips that will help you in the mana/happiness department:

- Swap one of your trinkets out to the Dragonling, and gem it with 600 Spirit, 600 Haste and either 600 Mastery or 600 Crit (I prefer Mastery, but it's really up to you).

- The 463 blue-quality shield is usually on the AH for 200-400 gold, and it would be a really big upgrade for your offhand.

- You can get 2 450 rings with Haste and Spirit from JCs and they're generally fairly cheap. Barring that, you can buy the 458 ring off the Justice vendor for 1250 Justice. I've noticed that rings, offhands, and necks tend not to drop in the early LFRs (in my experience, anyway - I still haven't managed to get the shield on ANY of my Shaman, and I have three ^_^), so I generally try to get those taken care of before I go to LFR.

- I would actually swap your bracers, cloak, and shoulders for the crafted PvP pieces. For the Spirit. Yeah, Spirit is pretty damn important, even in LFR, as a Shaman.

- I would swap your glyphs to the Glyph of Totemic Restoration (huge mana saver starting out), Glyph of Spiritwalker's Grace (5 extra seconds has been really helpful to me in LFRs and actual raiding), with the third glyph being optional. I have the Glyph of Healing Wave at the moment, but there are other useful ones. The Glyph of Chaining is really unnecessary in any 25 man situation.

- I would swap out Unleashed Fury for Primal Elementalist and use the heal-boosting ability on yourself. Unleashed Fury doesn't apply to Healing Rain, which is what you're going to be using Unleash Elements to boost 9 times out of 10.

- I would swap out Call of the Elements for Totemic Restoration or Totemic Projection.

- I would reforge out of Haste down to 871 Haste for your Earthliving Weapon breakpoint. You're between Haste breakpoints right now, and I don't see any way for you to hit ~4000 Haste (which, due to the inconsistent way that HTT and HST are interacting with Haste at the moment, you need to go OVER the actual Haste Breakpoint to insure they're consistent). Dump the extra Haste into Mastery or Crit, your choice.

- Windwalk Totem is actually really useful for the last half of MSV, when you're fighting the guys that turn you to stone slowly.

- While in raid, try to use HST any time there is damage out and it's off CD. Recall it ~1 second before it expires to refund all of your mana you spent on it (thanks to the glyph). Try to keep a boosted (via Unleashed Elements) Healing Rain down as much as possible. Use Riptide for spot damage (but don't glyph it, as it will sap your mana like no tomorrow). Use Earth Shield on one of the tanks (I recommend you set it up so you can see other Shamans' Earth Shields so there's no overlap). Chain Heal is your go to when you see multiple people damaged. I highly recommend getting an addon like VuhDo so you can see where your Chain Heal will chain to.

I think that's about all I have to add. I'm probably forgetting a few things, though. :)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Thanks for the help everyone, and sorry for asking so many questions. :x

So I'd assume it's pretty common to have that feature in party/raid frames.

I'd hope so. The first time I had to heal with someone else, it happened to be a Resto Druid, so I didn't get the opportunity to check firsthand.

Sit back, raid heal a bit, and enjoy the carry!

I guess that can be a perk of rerolling after the expansion started. :P

05/10/2013 11:23 AMPosted by Tiriel
I would reforge out of Haste down to 871 Haste for your Earthliving Weapon breakpoint.

I thought that I had to have 3039 Haste for that breakpoint. Are you figuring in the +5% Haste raid buff?

I highly recommend getting an addon like VuhDo so you can see where your Chain Heal will chain to.

Already have Vuhdo. ^.^ The AoE healing assistance is pretty nifty.
Reply Quote
93 Goblin Shaman

You want to be gemming spirit and spirit hybrids, at least until you feel you have enough spirit.

My suggestions (wish you had logged out as resto- would give me a better idea of things here):

1. If you can afford it (it's fairly cheap on my server) get the inscription spirit offhand. It's not a shield, but it will suffice until you can get a shield.

2. Since you are an alchemist, you need to make your alchemy trinket. Get rid of that dps trinket you have.

3. Concerning JP gear: at this point in time, it is better to convert your JP's into honor points. There are certain intel/spirit based pvp 476 items that will hold you over until you can get decent PVE replacements.

If this were any other expac, I wouldn't advise this, however, the pvp stats no longer eat into the item budget. It used to be that pvp items would be missing one stat in replacement for resilience. Fastest way to do this is keep running heroics (you still need trinkets from them anyways), convert the JP to honor points at the vendor in Org. Note: don't buy the pvp trinkets- completely worthless for PVE.*

The person that sells the pvp items is at Serpents Spine (the one between Kunlai and Townlonge). There's 2 Serpent Spine Fp's.

4. Best advice I can give you though: keep running heroics. At least until you've done #2 and 3. Just because you've got the ilvl doesn't necessarily mean you're ready to run LFR. Also, start doing the Isle stuff- you can get a 476 belt at honored for gold.

This is from someone who gets really tired of seeing people that really aren't ready for LFR coming into LFR. As a healer- it's especially important to be in at least more 463 gear. You wouldn't want your tank walking into LFR in all greens, would you?

*The cloak and one of the rings both have spirit on them- more spirit than you will get off the 458 rings/cloak:

Malevolent Gladiator's Armbands of Meditation
Malevolent Gladiator's Band of Meditation
Malevolent Gladiator's Drape of Meditation

This is coming from someone that's normally very anti-PVP in PVE by the way.
Edited by Jujubiju on 5/11/2013 7:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
93 Goblin Shaman
f I have Vuhdo configured to display Earth Shield buffs, will it also show Earth Shields that other Shaman cast?

Yes- you just have to set it up (what I do is have both ES's show in the same spot). It makes life a lot easier so you aren't overwriting someone elses ES.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
05/11/2013 04:02 AMPosted by Nahuul
I thought that I had to have 3039 Haste for that breakpoint. Are you figuring in the +5% Haste raid buff?

Yes, which you will almost certainly have in LFR. I'm also factoring in Ancestral Swiftness, which gives you a static 5% Haste.

Already have Vuhdo. ^.^ The AoE healing assistance is pretty nifty.

:D It's actually one of the reasons I picked up the addon on my Shaman.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
This is coming from someone that's normally very anti-PVP in PVE by the way.

So am I... But I'm not above purchasing some PvP gear to hold me over. Thanks for linking to the pieces. I completely forgot about the alchemy trinket, so I'll make sure to grab that. Thanks for the help. :)

Yes- you just have to set it up (what I do is have both ES's show in the same spot). It makes life a lot easier so you aren't overwriting someone elses ES.

Thank you. I hate it when my ES gets overwritten, and I'd hate to overwrite someone else's - just leads to mana-wasting for both Shaman.

Yes, which you will almost certainly have in LFR. I'm also factoring in Ancestral Swiftness, which gives you a static 5% Haste.

That's what I figured, but I didn't think it'd hurt to double-check. :P

:D It's actually one of the reasons I picked up the addon on my Shaman.

As far as I'm concerned, the AoE healing assistance is the icing of the cake. :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]