Tips on Resto PvP for BGs

100 Goblin Mage
I wish there was a sticky up on this.

Questions

1. Best glyphs and talents
2. Tips for healing
3. Tips for surviving

Any help is appreciated. Loving my resto PvP and gearing for it now.

Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
1. Talents
1 - Natures Guardian, astral shift is terrible since you cant predict swaps too well and it cant be used while stunned. stone bulwark was redesigned but im convinced its not that great still.
2 - I prefer windwalk totem since you can get away from classes that have a snare, sometimes frozen power vs like warriors/rogues.
3 - totemic restoration is good if you use tremor then the macro to destroy totem allowing for the 30 sec cooldown opposed to 1 minute. call of the elements is alright but again very situational
4 - ancestral swiftness is the only real option here IMO, passive haste and the instant cast can be great for instant hexes or big unleash life combos.
5 - Healing tide totem without question, ancestral guidance is alright but if you get interrupted or silenced its useless.
6 - unleashed fury unless you like the primal elementalist talent for the earth ele stun and bonus effects that give you benefit

2. a lot of micromanagement - watching your ES, WS and riptides helps a lot. use an addon like omniCC if you want to see cooldowns easier. gem resilience so you dont get trained, since the totem nerf/change shamans have issues with being trained - mostly by DKs rogues etc. aim for crit > mastery > haste, haste is pointless since you will be kicked/silenced a lot and its very difficult to hit a haste threshold for riptide or healing stream/tide totem. mastery is okay but crit is the ideal choice since its a lot more gamebreaking when you crit for a 200k+ healing surge. also avoid casting GHW since its easier to cast and healing surge you will crit more and get more mana refunded through water shield/resurgence.

3. read #2, if you play with friends or as part of a premade be vocal if you need a peel of some sort. the best way to learn is to play a LOT and try different things

good luck!
Edited by Motivate on 5/11/2013 8:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Holy crap that tremor macro is amazing. ~26 second cooldown reduction when used with totemic restoration.

#showtooltip tremor totem
/click TotemFrameTotem1 RightButton
/cast tremor totem
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
3. Tips for surviving

Resilience. Until your eyes bleed from all the yellow.

Red: Willful Vermilion Onyx
Blue: Turbid Wild Jade or Vivid Wild Jade (I've seen it go both ways)
Yellow: Mystic Sun's Radiance

Also, almost all your totems will help you survive. Learn to use them, and which situations they're best at.

Airs: Throw Grounding Totem of cooldown (once you're used to it and know what to look for, you can use it to counter specific spells). Use Stun-on-a-stick (Capacitor Totem) as often as you reliably can reliably land the stun; I pair it with the glyph, and use warstomp and earthbind/earthgrab to trap people in it. Stormlash is great when you see any enemy get low, don't be afraid to drop it, and give your teamates/arena partners a little more "oomf". Windwalk to escape snares and slows, or to allow your teammates to do the same. Spirit Link to use a teammates/arena partner's health to survive. It's your most important cooldown, USE IT WISELY!

Earths: Tremor out of everything you can, then destroy the totem (Note: You can throw TT when you're horrified; but it won't break the horror, so pay attention). Earthbind/Earthgrab on cooldown, or when you need to escape. Stone Bulwark on CD, if you took it. Fun note on Earth Elemental: when you summon him, he will immediatly mass-taunt everything around him, eating up Stampeds and Armies.

Fires: Magma Totem is good for spinning flags, it's damage is hilariously low. Searing is also pretty much useless. Fire Elemental packs a wallop, even untalented. Drop him to bring some extra pain when you need to clench a kill.

Waters: HST on CD. HTT is a huge OCRAP button. MTT once you reach the point where if won't be wasted, and whenever it's on cooldown.

2. Tips for healing

Riptide on cooldown. Don't use Chain Heal or Healing Rain, except for extraordinary circumstances. Keep ES on a target that's getting hit or needs healing. Use HST on cooldown. Use Unleash Elements on cooldown, use both charges (if it's talented) with either Riptide for a powerful HoT, or HS/GWH for a massive heal. Use Ancestral Swiftness to cast Hex/HS/GHW in a pinch, it's fairly short CD makes it a life-saver. HTT isn't as powerful in PvP and in PvE, but it's still ridiculous amounts of healing. SLT can save someone's life, but it can backfire, and get you both killed; use it wisely, and be prepared for serious frustration when it misses the person you where trying to save by inches. Pare Ascendance with Spiritwalker's Grace, and spam a few HS in a row to get the most use out of it. After you get a heal or two off, you're going to get CC'd to hell.

crit > mastery > haste

I go Haste (to 12.51%)>Mastery>Crit>Haste.

The haste breakpoint is so easy to make, it's only 3039 rating. I prefer mastery over crit, because even full reforged I'm only gaining 2.22% crit (and losing 7.23% mastery). I find that I can hardly ever cast HS/GHW in a RBG, without using my 4-piece Spiritwalker's Grace, so the regen from crits is fairly negligible.

Both reforges are quite viable, they're just a choice between playstyle.

1. Best glyphs and talents

I think Motivate covered talents quite well.
6 - unleashed fury unless you like the primal elementalist talent for the earth ele stun and bonus effects that give you benefit

Only thing to note here: if you get CC'd in any way, the channel from your pet will break. It's the most annoying thing ever. It's also very easy to run out of the elemental's casting range; again, breaking the channel. That earth ele stun is quite sexy though.

For glyphs, I suggest:

Ghost Wolf: allows you to peel off or get distance very easily, especially when slowed.
Healing Stream Totem: when you're facing casters.
Hex: Because more CC never hurt anybody!
Capacitor Totem: Makes it easier to land the stun.
Totemic Vigor: Your totems still probably going to be one-shot with this, but it bears mentioning. Makes Earth/Fire Ele totems pretty hard to kill.
Purge: Double the purge, double the fun.
Edited by Gijira on 5/13/2013 8:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
You can go Rockbiter and with the Unleashed Fury Talent make a hefty Def CD, i switch between rock/life as i get trained or my team mates are.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
4 - ancestral swiftness is the only real option here IMO, passive haste and the instant cast can be great for instant hexes or big unleash life combos.

I take EM sometimes in bgs AS will keep 1 person alive, EM can keep your entire team up.. i would agreee that AS is clearly best for tank healing.

5 - Healing tide totem without question, ancestral guidance is alright but if you get interrupted or silenced its useless.

yeah if you get cc'd its useless, but if healing tide gets hit by anything, its useless too... both are good choices, with their own vulnerabilites.

Ghost Wolf: allows you to peel off or get distance very easily, especially when slowed.
Healing Stream Totem: when you're facing casters.

05/13/2013 08:34 AMPosted by Gijira
Capacitor Totem: Makes it easier to land the stun.

those three are the best to start with. HST isnt just good against casters though, rogues/ hunters / monks do nature damage dk's/enh do frost damage its real good against all of those.

PE is so lame for PVP... if you have earth ele down, you cant tremor, cant earthbind, and if you do, you lose your 5minute cooldown..
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Mage
Thanks! Lots of great discussion here. I hadnt considered windwalker.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]