Some healers

24 Blood Elf Paladin
Is it just me or have lowbie healers gotten really lazy? As this is a new tank toon on a new server I have no boa and as such I thought it was me just being unhealable. That is until I met a shaman who just would not let me drop past 90% health without doing SOMETHING. All these other guys sit with their thumbs up their *** till I hit round 15-20% and by that point it's already too late. There isn't a whole lot I can do till lvl 26ish when I can generate more holy power for a small wog and lvl 40 when I get shield of the righteous for a nice amount of mitigation, I'm just tired of all the corpse runs.
Reply Quote
91 Human Warrior
When one's role is trivialized, it is hard to stay attentive.

Healers / DPS are not needed if a BOA geared tank is played correctly. They can solo the place. After witnessing such things, many players just auto-follow, and que as a healer just for the Exp.

Issues
-> Some tanks have to much self healing
-> BOA gear
-> Dungeons are to easy for some
-> Dungeons are just about right for others

It is a real mess that cannot be solved easily.
Some classes are not so great early on, while other dominate.
This makes tuning the difficulty for dungeons nigh impossible

So right now dungeons are all for the most part 'Easy'
Maybe it is just after playing the game so long, that they seem easy.
Would be interesting to see a group of players new to MMO's etc run a dungeon.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Unless you're pulling more than you should, lowbie healers should not have a problem keeping you up.

At worst they're getting hit with a sleep every now and then in WC.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Honestly, at your level, most of the dungeons are solo-able by tanks. Especially prot pallies. Granted, if you pull too much and are sitting at 15-20% hp, then the healer is probably afking.

Also, at lower levels, you will find more bad healers *because* the dungeons are so easy. When they don't have to learn to react to panicky types of situations early on, it's easy for healers new to the game to decide that they don't need to do any work. They will get a rude awakening at later levels.

Yes, that *is* how long it takes to get to dungeons that are actually somewhat difficult for newer players. And it's a horrible model, because healers need to be some of the most reactive people in the game.

Also, if you are having trouble with healers.... pull less. Go slower. There *are* some new healers who do struggle with low level dungeons because they don't understand their roles as healers. Some of them will try to tank, even. It just depends on their previous MMO experience.

It should be better, though, once you get around level 40.
Reply Quote
24 Blood Elf Paladin
I know I'm not pulling too much, and I know they are just sitting there because I can see future incoming healing on my vuhdo frames. More than likely maece is correct in that they are used to not being needed. Perhaps I should make a macro expressing my need for active participation. However, I don't particularly want to come across as rude or offensive. When I had a warrior I had a macro explaining for dps to wait till I thunder clap before attacking so I could get a bleed on everything and it worked wonders, never had a group not cooperate with me.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
When one's role is trivialized, it is hard to stay attentive.

Healers / DPS are not needed if a BOA geared tank is played correctly. They can solo the place. After witnessing such things, many players just auto-follow, and que as a healer just for the Exp.

Issues
-> Some tanks have to much self healing
-> BOA gear
-> Dungeons are to easy for some
-> Dungeons are just about right for others

It is a real mess that cannot be solved easily.
Some classes are not so great early on, while other dominate.
This makes tuning the difficulty for dungeons nigh impossible

So right now dungeons are all for the most part 'Easy'
Maybe it is just after playing the game so long, that they seem easy.

sums it up perfectly... from my exp with leveling up several healers and tanks, low lvl tanks litterally get two shot or sit at full health. health pools are just too small, but once the expansions start to cycle through, healers will start paying attention.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
If you're not dying, you dropping below 90% health really isn't an issue.

I had a Druid tank the other night who consistently ran away from me. I think I got grey hairs trying to get to him in time to toss a bubble out (yeah, leveling ANOTHER Priest) and save his furry butt. :-P
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I am leveling a priest as well, and body and soul makes it easier now that i just hit 31 but monk tanks roll away from me and druid tanks fly away from me, warriors charge. often times tanks and DPS make it harder on the healers at lower levels as well. especially DPS who think they are tanks and pull things.

I'm not making excuses for the others though.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
If they're letting you die yeah. But when I heal on alts in full BoA I can normally let someone drop past... well heck one heal from a full BoA alt can literally heal you from 0 to full health in one heal. A priests bubble alone can absorb your full amount of health in damage.

It's just incredibly boring as a healer in low dungeons. Half the time, like the first response said, the tank is fully able to keep themselves alive without a healer if they have the gear.

Also what Jarshey said, you either get a tank that doesn't need heals, or a tank that gets two shotted. >.<

Also keep in mind some healers at lower levels don't even have that many heals to choose from, further adding to the boredom. It's not fun to run through a dungeon and just cast a HoT to keep the tank up and you're done. And don't say DPS, imo we have incredible mana for healing at low levels, but try and DPS and you're just gonna OOM.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
This is a bit why I have 4 healers and only one dps.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Low lvl dungeons as a healer as priest druid pally or monk i try to beat the tank at dps so far i can only consistantly beat tank in dps as priest. That being said I have rarely let a tank die usualy from being cc during large pulls. Low lvl healing is boring unless you are dpsing. At 80 plus dpsing causes mana issues so i usualy start focusing on heals past those lvls.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Maybe the get bored, start dpsing, and lose track of their party member's health. I have been leveling this toon as a healer for several weeks now. If a tank is pulling slowly then I just bubble them and start dpsing. But if I do that too much I get tunnel vision and don't notice when the bubble wears off and they start taking big hits.

It also could be that you're pulling too much at once. I meet a lot of tanks that will pull 12 trash mobs and the boss all at the same time. An unlucky stun or silence on me and it's a wipe.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Monk
The last time I had someone criticize my healing on this character, I thought they were dropping rather fast, so I asked them if they were using shuffle. They didn't know what it was. At level 52. I didn't think to ask if they were using ox stance...

So you might want to think twice before assuming it's the healer that's doing it wrong.

Of course, you should also double-check that the tank didn't run out of range or LOS the healer. That happens a lot in low level dungeons (and sometimes heroics too).

I think they would do fine (provided they understood what their abilities were for), because they wouldn't expect to pull whole rooms and run continuously without stopping. Most of the problems come from the speedrun culture. "Oh, the tank only pulled 5 mobs? I better pull 5 more" and stuff like that. This is also why the bosses are usually the easiest part -- people *usually* have enough brains to single pull them.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I think they would do fine (provided they understood what their abilities were for), because they wouldn't expect to pull whole rooms and run continuously without stopping. Most of the problems come from the speedrun culture. "Oh, the tank only pulled 5 mobs? I better pull 5 more" and stuff like that. This is also why the bosses are usually the easiest part -- people *usually* have enough brains to single pull them.

You haven't met the new players I've met. >.>
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'll also add that in some cases as a healer, I'm so incredibly bored that I'll see how close I can let the tank get to dying before actually healing. In low level dungeons, a HoT tick can take someone from 25% to 100%, so unless they frequently take spiky damage, I'm not too concerned for their well-being.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
I am almost inclined to believe they are trying to dps instead of heal. I know on my resto druid, I get severely bored and love going kitty to dps. I try to out dps the dps'ers! Sometimes I forget to heal but I have never had anyone die on me ever! I might let them dip as low as 50% but that's about it. One rejuv tick gets them to 80%+ in low levels.

I really, REALLY hate that all dungeons are absolute cakewalks until 85. They used to be so fun!
Reply Quote
29 Gnome Priest
I play health bar roulette if I get bored, but one heal is always enough so get you into a safe zone. People rarely die or if they do it's from running away from the healer or pulling multiple groups that stun/silence.

And have to throw this in, as disc it's not an issue since you should be pre bubbled, but a lot of lowbie tanks get literally one shotted.
Edited by Compactdisc on 5/19/2013 11:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Monk
05/19/2013 06:56 AMPosted by Venna
I am almost inclined to believe they are trying to dps instead of heal.

In my experience the tanks are at least as likely to have this problem as the healers, maybe even more so. Breath of Fire spam and stuff like that. The difference between "buttons you push to do a bit more damage" and "buttons you push to become harder to kill, which may also do some damage" isn't necessarily clear for people who don't have real tanking experience on another character.

Hopefully, it doesn't take healers anywhere near that long to figure out which of their spells can heal people.
Reply Quote
20 Undead Mage
i think the answer to your question is most people in the game are used to running thru dungeons with no probs you being not geared they are not used to it they have to actually play wich they dont normally have to.

i was a dps disc priest in a dungeon once and i kept picking up the 'healers' slack cuz he was barely doing anything yet in all boas i saved the group a few times from death and once i mentioned how much he sucks and that im picking up the heals then he started playing like his life matered.

dont worry about it its not your prob its the people who just want easy runs and to put no effort into a challange.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Monk
I'll also add that in some cases as a healer, I'm so incredibly bored that I'll see how close I can let the tank get to dying before actually healing. In low level dungeons, a HoT tick can take someone from 25% to 100%, so unless they frequently take spiky damage, I'm not too concerned for their well-being.

Limbo! How low can you go? :)

I've done that before at level cap. Usually it just means I don't like the person. I may or may not be passive agressive. ;)

Once was in Cata in the air elemental instance that I forget the name of. He was running around positioning things horribly. At first I thought he was just bad. Then he holds one of the trash dragons inside the big healing circle and begins bragging about trolling the dps and how earlier he kept trying to get them killed.

So I kept him within a hair's breadth from death on the dragon then right before it was over, I slipped. Oops. Then I vote kicked him. :)
Edited by Kipery on 5/21/2013 11:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]