We have HealBot...

1 Human Priest
But can we have something similar for enemies?

Either something really simple that stacks the nameplates into a grid type of setup...

Or, a full DamageBot setup, something that allows us to click to attack?

I am sick of losing enemies in the muddle when 500 nameplates show up and other than having the boss frames, it makes it hard to target when there are a multitude of enemies.

Plus, it would also help keep track of enemies health rather than looking into the sky to see the name plates.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior
There's one for BGs but I forget its name. It works on the principle that you have a fixed number of known enemies before the fight starts all with unique names (or unique enough). These frames are created out of combat and they are able to target by name.

This is not really doable for regular pve like trash mobs through a raid or mobs during a daily. While you could in theory repurpose the frames for every hallway, road, area you're in, based on a massive database kept in memory, it would be unable to distinguish between two mobs of the same name unless someone has one targeted. You can get some information of what's happening to those mobs by their GUID and the combat log. But targeting would still be by name. It would be an unreliable mess.
Reply Quote
1 Human Priest
Would there be a simple addon that just stacks the nameplates in a neat little corner somewhere?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Use tab. For pvp the addon is called "battleground targets".
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

Would there be a simple addon that just stacks the nameplates in a neat little corner somewhere?

There were attempts at this and they were unreliable, buggy and eventually abandoned. Too many limitations when there isn't native support for it in the api.
Edited by Sedivy on 5/13/2013 6:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Human Priest
Use tab. For pvp the addon is called "battleground targets".

It is not about targeting the enemies, more about seeing all the enemies health in the one spot.

When you get to the enemies who are to tall you can't see their nameplates, therefore when you have a large number of enemies you can't tell who is who and what health they have.

Better to just see all the nameplates in one area and see which ones are lower health or marked or whatever.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior
If you're ok with not being able to click to target those nameplates, an addon can do that yeah. But you can't target from those frames.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
You can set default nameplate behaviour so they're stacked on top of one another rather than overlapping which should help with the crowd problem. This however does have some quirks as nameplates can tend to jump around in large crowds, trying to stack. No overlap but plates will not stay fixed in one position, no.

As Ro says you can have a list of mobs with their health levels as bars, stationary, but you cannot interact with them in any way, to target or cast spells on them. This was done/protected on purpose so the point is what you want (an enemy healbot) can't be done and it's that way by design.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
When you get to the enemies who are to tall you can't see their nameplates
I assume you are talking about pve. I understand your problem, but what usually happens when you have several targets together is that you don't really care which one you are targeting, you just use your aoe rotation to deal damage to all enemies at same time.

For some classes (like enhancement shaman) you better target one that is NOT almost dead do apply your aoe rotation, but as a general rule, it doesn't really matter.

When there is a real need to kill in a specific order, it is not usual to have more than 3 targets to pick. At least that is my experience.

As I already said, for pvp battlegrounds you can use an addon called Battleground Targets, that allow you to target clicking on a frame bar. You can see all enemies health in a fixed position of the screen. For arena you can use Gladius for the same purpose.
Edited by Shamantra on 5/13/2013 9:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
I assume you are talking about pve. I understand your problem, but what usually happens when you have several targets together is that you don't really care which one you are targeting, you just use your aoe rotation to deal damage to all enemies at same time.

For some classes (like enhancement shaman) you better target one that is NOT almost dead do apply your aoe rotation, but as a general rule, it doesn't really matter.

When there is a real need to kill in a specific order, it is not usual to have more than 3 targets to pick. At least that is my experience.
My aoe "rotation" includes putting dots (sometimes multiple dots) on each and every target and keeping them there. There is no magical button that puts dots on all of them for me, so I have to target each one as the dot is running out and refresh it. That means I most certainly care about which one I'm targeting.

If it's not possible to stack the enemies in a raid-frames style of grid, it's not possible. However, I *constantly* fight with the absolutely terrible targeting system in the default UI. When there are 5-10 guys on screen and I'm trying to keep dots on them all it can be impossible to do something as simple as running through each one and casting one instant-cast dot.

The default tab targeting is bad at best, and gets even worse. I've had 20-30 guys standing on top of me beating me, and tab does nothing at all (so I'm still selecting a corpse or something). Or it selects a guy behind me or just out of range (so I can't even cast an aoe threat generator). Or it selects a guy who's not even in combat (so now I have even more guys I can't hit on top of me). On occasions, it even selects a guy who's behind me, out of range of any of my spells, and not in combat (which isn't the worst case, but. . . how?). Sure, mostly it sorta-kinda cycles through the mobs in front of you, with some kind of retarded accidental-click protection that I can't find any way to disable (how I hate that "feature"), and is reasonably ok. But then it goes to hell and I've spent 5+ seconds and just decided to /tar <enemy> on one of two mobs attacking me, because it worked better. Or died.

Trying to click an enemy (or player) who is "behind" another enemy can be impossible,and the hit boxes on many bosses are just ginormously bigger than the actual boss, making the problem even worse. I spent a good 30 seconds in HoF LFR last night trying to click past the boss and grab a player out of the tornadoes with Leap of Faith, and finally just gave up. I suppose I could have turned on friendly plates and tried to click those, but trying to click the player model itself wasn't going to happen.

Trying to click a nameplate usually results in a different nameplate being selected than the one you wanted. There's some kind of z-ordering filter, so if you click enough times you'll eventually get it, but if you take your time, the mob has gotten the cast off before you can interrupt or the friendly is dead before you actually select them, and if you try to rapidly get to the one you want it's really easy to click once too many times and end up needing to start over again. Furthermore, on many of the bosses and large trash mobs, the nameplates are 9 miles above the ground, so you can't even see the nameplates to try targeting them anyways. Unless you stick the camera under your feet, which is just annoying.

Obviously, I manage to deal with it, and in most cases the system works well enough, but it is hardly ideal. Many, many times, I've just starting mashing buttons on my tank until something happened because that was more predictable than the WoW targeting system (to be fair, I'm usually mashing buttons related to targeting functions while mashing aoe abilities in the hope that I will coincidentally aoe something while it's targeted). On aoe fights, I've often just applied dots until tab either stops cycling targets or brings me back to a mob I've already dotted (usually after 3-4 mobs out of 10-20), then just using hellfire/mindflay/whatever and not caring about my dps because it's just not worth the effort.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
For sticky targetting, go into Interface-Game-Controls and uncheck Sticky Targetting checkbox.

For nameplates that you're supposed to interrupt, it's a little tedious as you gotta make sure you mouseover the nameplates at least once in order to see the mob casting a spell (though in 5.3 blizz is adding native support for this), but right now if you're using something like Tidyplates, go into Opacity option of the skin, uncheck Use target opacity if no target exists, then check Bring casting units to target opacity. That should always bring the currently casting unit to full opacity making it easier to pick out of the crowd. You can also vary its scale so if it starts casting, it gets bigger (instead of the threat response) and so you can see it a little easier to mouse over and interrupt.

Tab targetting can be somewhat problematic I tend to agree, as it seems all over the place. For boss fights, I'd definitely go with premade macros that target specific mobs by name, so to not mess around with tab.
Like on Horridon, you should theoretically have only 2-3 kinds of adds per door (and hopefully previous adds are done before next come).
So you can do

/target door1mobnamehere
/target door1mobname2here
/target door2mobnamehere

and so on, so that it cycles through and targets what you need it to, and so you can interrupt. But...this won't necessarily pick the mob of the particular name that happens to be casting at the moment. So that part still has to be watched via nameplates. Make sure you turn on watching casting bars of non-targetted/mouseover units on.

For LoF, absolutely either target first then press LoH or do it directly on raidframes.

For applying dots as a caster dps, this gets a little easier. Go into Tidyplates and choose in Scale options, Scale Spotlight Mode to be On Active Auras. Then make the ones with active auras really small. So that you have a bunch of small plates for those mobs that have ticking dots on them from you, and only big plates are the ones where you haven't applied dots yet. Makes them a little easier to find.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
When there are 5-10 guys on screen and I'm trying to keep dots on them all it can be impossible to do something as simple as running through each one and casting one instant-cast dot.
Try cascade and mind sear instead? Maybe cast SWP and VT on a couple to get some procs and mana back. I am not very aware of current raid but as i said before, when you have 5-10 targets, is it very unlikely that they will survive long enough to be worth dotting them all.

My Tidyplates is configured exactly as Sedivy suggested :) it seems i am on the right track.

About the sticky targetting i am not so sure. I like it on (never played with it off). I think it can be useful to turn it off as a healer in pvp because it makes easier to drop target and self cast heals. Not so sure how turning it off would help dps though.
Edited by Shamantra on 5/13/2013 10:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]