Best RPG's of the last decade

71 Troll Monk
Dark Souls is one I forgot. I don't have a PS3, so I never got to play Demon's Souls, but from what I've heard/seen I probably would have liked that a lot as well. From Software in general puts out a lot of quirky-yet-fun kind of stuff, but that's mostly outside the realm of RPGs.

As far as the FO3 vs. New Vegas thing goes, I think that the latter benefited from the world-building from the previous games in making a cohesive world, and I always found it a bit strange that the Capitol Wasteland was built up so little considering the timeframe. But as a self-contained plotline, I agree that FO3 was better, especially with Broken Steel patching up the potential plot hole.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Skyrim's cool.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior
M-muh blue space waifu!

biosuit space waifu is better
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
But there's SO MANY!

Uhh... Right. Let's see if I can do this without going too overboard. And at least one game will be past 10 years. If it's multiple games in the same franchise, I won't be too specific with which exactly. Cause I'm feeling lazy right now.

Ultima 7
Suikoden 3
Baldur's Gate
Neverwinter Nights
Final Fantasy games
"Tales of" games
Elder Scrolls (Oblivion and Skyrim)
Dragon Age games
Mass Effect games
KotOR
The Legend of Dragoon
Vagrant Story
Shin Megami Tensei/Persona games
Fallout games
Kingdom Hearts games
Ni No Kuni
Might and Magic games (the old ones, not the strats)
The Witcher games
The World Ends With You
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest games
Legend of Zelda games

HNNNNG. Making myself stop now. *flails*
Edited by Ninwyn on 5/15/2013 6:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
05/15/2013 06:00 PMPosted by Altaiea
M-muh blue space waifu!

biosuit space waifu is better

Haha, that's a funny joke.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Shaman
No one mentions Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
I've only seen it mentioned once, mentioning it again:

Dark Souls.

Fun game, fun combat, and a world with lore rather than story. Yum yum.

Loved it.
Still play it, all the time.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Death Knight
Ninwyn pretty much got it covered.
Reply Quote
lol ohhhh my god, how did I forget Demon/Dark Souls. Did I not think of them as RPGs? I dunno.

But yes, Dark Souls was a truly amazing experience. Demon's Souls was even better in some regards, though the whole world/character tendency thing was awful, and stupid. Also, heavy armor wasn't that useful for PvP and there were the scumbags with huge health regeneration.

Dark Souls was the best RPG of the last decade, with Demon's Souls as a close second.
Reply Quote
I'm certain Baldur's Gate 2 was released more than 10 years ago, but I just borrowed it from my friend and it is pretty amazing. Neverwinter Nights. Demon's/Dark Souls definitely, albeit only an Action RPG.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
lol ohhhh my god, how did I forget Demon/Dark Souls. Did I not think of them as RPGs? I dunno.

But yes, Dark Souls was a truly amazing experience. Demon's Souls was even better in some regards, though the whole world/character tendency thing was awful, and stupid. Also, heavy armor wasn't that useful for PvP and there were the scumbags with huge health regeneration.

Dark Souls was the best RPG of the last decade, with Demon's Souls as a close second.

scraping spear and tower shield, gg

also, lol, herb munching
Edited by Battlemaiden on 5/16/2013 2:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't even get why people hate ME3.

Does the last 5 minutes of it make the entire game awful, really?

HOLY GOD WHY AM I AGREEING WITH MADS, BUT THIS IS 100% TRUE

ME2 and ME3 were both AMAZING games, easily my top 3 out of the 10. I don't usually have the patience to do RPGs, but Mass Effect 2 and 3 managed to hold my attention and keep me loving it the entire time. I don't give a crap about the ending, because to me it's about how much fun I have getting to the ending, rather than the ending itself.

That being said, I already said I don't play a lot of RPGs.

Deus Ex: HR was fairly good imo.

Skyrim was also very enjoyable for me. I dunno what you guys are talking about Oblivion for though. Oblivion was turrible. Turrible combat, terrible character gen, terrible voiceacting. The story was literally the only thing good about it. The one thing that made Oblivion good is mods.

KOTOR1 & 2 goes without saying, because I'm a gigantic Star Wars fan. Also, SW:TOR's story was basically RPG, so I'm gonna be naughty and list that.

That's basically my list of RPGs I actually played consistently and didn't get bored of.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
To name a few already mentioned several times:

Dragon Age: Origins - My absolute favorite
MorrowindMorrowindMorrowind - The old reigning champ
Persona 3 & 4 - A pair of strong contenders
Dark Souls - A game that I was confident I wouldn't like, but was swayed very quickly

Other than that:

BioShock: Infinite, which I just beat and was impressed by.
Half-Life 2, Episode One, Episode Two
.hack//G.U. Vol. 1, 2, and 3.

And since there are plenty more that make my list of 'Best', I'll just end it with a more unpopular choice:

Final Fantasy XIII. I enjoyed it beginning to end.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
New Vegas was a far superior game to Fallout 3, which I found it's main story weak and as unappetizing as some of the most generic two to three star films that come out as of late. The concepts of choice, social and economic politics, the a vast majority of other themes that are present in NV and it's frankly amazing and overlooked DLC's are just lost or non-existent in FO:3.

And that says a lot, considering I -LOVE- Liam Neeson.

While I could likely spend hours describing as to why New Vegas is far superior to FO:3, I have a job to do so I will just leave this informative video right here for your viewing pleasure. This man is a genius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvwlt4FqmS0

Edit: Also Obsidian. I love Obsidian.
Edited by Kaayna on 5/16/2013 7:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Priest
herb munching

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n224/lastat811/1262339034102.png

Going to have to second Dark Souls as my favourite. I've unfortunately not been able to play Demon's Souls as of yet, but I bought my brother a PS3 for his birthday a month ago (Pretty much solely for Demon's Souls), so I should be able to give it a go when I get home!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
Everything Final Fantasy.

The Last Story

Xenoblade

Persona 4

Star Ocean: Til the end of time

Dragon Age: Origin

Honorable mention goes to Mass Effect. Never got into ME as much as my brother did, but it was the characters that kept me going then the actule story.

God. No.

I loved that game to bits and pieces, but the only thing good was the combat and crafting systems. Story made no sense and jumped ALL OVER the place.

Edit:

hack//G.U. Vol. 1, 2, and 3.

These are some of my favorites. Even if I am of the belief that .hack should of ended at //IMOQ.

Speaking of which, here's my favorites:

.hack//IMOQ
.hack//GU 1-3

Dragon Age: Origins
TES: Oblivion
TES: (Heavily Modded) Skyrim
Dues Ex: Human Revolution
Dungeons of Dredmoor.. something can't spell the last word. (RPG Roguelike Dungeoncrawler.. parody thing)
Edited by Ximaru on 5/16/2013 7:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Going to have to second Dark Souls as my favourite. I've unfortunately not been able to play Demon's Souls as of yet, but I bought my brother a PS3 for his birthday a month ago (Pretty much solely for Demon's Souls), so I should be able to give it a go when I get home!

I think the PvE experience is just as good as Dark Souls, maybe even better. I mean, there's no Bed of Chaos. One of the gimmick fights is even fun. The storytelling is also less wiki-dependent, and gives off this abstract feel of progressing to a definite end (which is better than the second half of Dark Souls imo).
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
M-muh blue space waifu!

Tali superior waifu.

The waifu to end all waifus
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]