My healer! The Hand does nothing!

100 Tauren Warrior
Something seems to have changed in 5.2...

When tanking on my paladins, sometimes a DPS or the healer pulls aggro but I can't figure out what's attacking them. I used to use Righteous Defense to taunt it off them, but that ability no longer exists. Now I use Hand of Salvation to remove their threat... but it doesn't seem to do anything. It certainly doesn't stop whatever it is attacking my group member. I'm not sure, but it feels like the Hand does nothing.

Is this because I'm not damaging the mob? Is it because the DPS is still damaging it, and building threat back up? Sometimes even Reckoning won't pull a mob off the healer. I'm running out of ideas, and PUGs are starting to go sour for me...

EDIT: Yes, I meant Righteous Defense, not Divine Protection. Clearly posting while asleep is a bad idea.
Edited by Stakiyah on 5/27/2013 11:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Salvation reduces the target's threat to zero for its duration, but doesn't remove them from the enemy's threat table. That means that if no one else has generated any threat on the enemy, it's not going to change target.

The question is, why are enemies attacking the DPS, and especially why are enemies attacking the healers? Are you sure you have Righteous Fury on?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Divine protection isn't a taunt, it's a damage reduction cooldown.

Hand of salvation suspends the target's threat for 10 seconds, and then their threat fully returns. If you don't out-threat them, it's not going to help you.

If a healer is getting agro, and reckoning isn't holding it, what are you actually doing to gain agro on anything?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Divine Protection has never been a taunt (perhaps you meant Righteous Defense?). Hand of Protection can be used as an aggro dump, in a manner similar to Hand of Salvation.

You do have to damage things in order to get threat on them. Really, unless a DPS or healer gets an enormous head start on threat, you should be able to grab aggro from them almost immediately just via damage - Righteous Fury gives a 500% threat multiplier, which is pretty huge.

After taunting something off an ally, you should make sure to damage it as well, so that it will actually stick once the taunt expires.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
The problem here is that mobs are standing in my Consecration, getting hit by Holy Wrath, and STILL not switching to me when their target gets Hand of Salvation.

A direct Judgment or Avenger's Shield will only aggro a mob attacking a DPS or healer with Hand of Salvation on them about 50% of the time.

As for Reckoning, I have watched Reckoning tick out on mobs while they spend their entire time under Reckoning attacking something else. Attacking that mob seems to work consistently though.

Every time one of these things happens, I glance up with incredulity to see if Righteous Fury is still on. It is. I only ever turn it off when doing Isle of Thunder dailies.

The only things that have worked for me so far are dropping everything I'm doing and running to the offending mob and melee attacking it, and constantly placing a skull icon on my current target, every single time I acquire a new target. Obviously, both these tactics create problems of their own.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Is the same issue you posted the thread about in the healing forum? If this is the same issue involving a druid, unless it has been fixed, there is an issue with threat when they are using one of their talents.

I think SotF or whatever summons the Treants.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Is the same issue you posted the thread about in the healing forum? If this is the same issue involving a druid, unless it has been fixed, there is an issue with threat when they are using one of their talents.

I think SotF or whatever summons the Treants.

Force of Nature, and that was supposed to be fixed on the 22nd.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
The druid didn't use treants, and that issue was my own fault, not the druid. This is more of me having trouble figuring out how to use paladin Hands effectively. At this point I've decided to just put Hand of Protection on any healer that's suffering, because nothing else seems to work.

The good news is that this kind of situation isn't quite as common in Mists dungeons. Mobs are generally happy to attack me on the basis of AoE.

The problem with pet taunting is mainly one of turning bosses away from you so their nasty frontal cone abilities hit everyone else except you. I am *very* thankful for this fix, and the one for stampede. Now, if only we could convince those level 20 warlocks not to use voidwalkers in dungeons...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
quick question are you using Glyph of Batter Healer?? if not that might be your problem, It is where all our AoE threat is now days
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]