Warning: reputation basher

90 Human Warlock
Recently someone who has some kind of issue with our guild has started making threats using one of our officers towards anyone who RPs with our GM, none of us know this guy, but it very nearly sank an alliance we're forming with another guild, and almost ended the friendship of the GM and officer the person is claiming to have been sent by.

More recently, someone with a name similar to said officer (either a multibox or companion of the above) has began posting in trade telling people to send our GM tells for ERP and tell them "[officer sent them].

While both of these have been reported, rumors can be seeded and spread in a matter of minutes, and need to be quashed before they get out of hand.

* No-one in house haethon advertises ERP openly, regardless of what anyone else says, they're lying

* We do not have problems RPing with other guilds or other people, anyone trying to chase you off for doing so is not one of our members (and if they are, we'll deal with them, we don't like that kind of toxic attitude.)

I realize I may just be angry and venting, but with how fast rumors spread, an extra layer of protection could help while the GMs get to work.
Edited by Reshuv on 5/20/2013 11:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It's amazing, the lengths people go to when they don't like someone on the internet-box.
Reply Quote
Aw dang. That sucks extra since one of my friends just joined you guys.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
This is very unfortunate I hope this person who's reporting your guild gets a swift punishment for it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Well dang, now who am I going to go to fer mah ERPs? All joking aside this person is a butt (Apparently I can't say male genitalia but it starting with a "D".) , and I am sorry for how butthurt people can get on the internet.
Edited by Apruca on 5/21/2013 6:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I first read this early morning, so I only processed some of it. After reading over the specifics again, this kind of behavior sounds REALLY familiar.

Faking the name of someone else, saying stupid crap in trade chat, etc. is a certain someone habitual bad habit.

This person told everyone in trade chat that I was a Foreign Legion member or something and I was going on tour in Iraq, and that I was quitting and giving away my stuff, and everyone should message me for free things. Needless to say, I disabled whispers for a little bit.

Report the person hard because even if they use fake names and delete characters and stuff, it can be tracked.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
We had someone like that when the guild was under another name. She was removed due to bad behavior to many people in the guild. So instead of being mature and moving. She would put alts on our guild and try to spread lies in trade. Even whisper our officers and myself with threats. Sadly this person is still on the server and still immature it really sounds like the same person.
Reply Quote
The "person" I am talking about is most definitely male, and the reason he started in on me is because I told him to swallow a railroad spike after he started throwing homophobic slurs at me.

Despite pulling this trick multiple times, spamming people, posing as people, threatening people, tossing around plenty of racist, sexist, and gay-bashing insults at specific people, generally saying bigot-y things, sending people hundreds of spammy letters in the mail trying to frame other people, and even having his friends get in on the act, this person is still playing.

He kept this up literally for years and now he's doing it to people Horde-side after a faction transfer.

Blizzard hasn't done anything.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Priest
Ugh. I knew someone who was targeted by something similar, the person in trade said they were leaving and to whisper <X Player> for the free gold they were giving away.

There are some people in this game that are far too petty and thrive off of creating and manipulating drama. I hope it stops soon, Reshuv.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Just remember to report and ticket but not talk to the person doing it. If you try confronting said person before reporting, it becomes an interpersonal dispute instead of one sided harassment and it's far more unlikely that Blizzard will get involved.

Also...I am the only person who finds the whisper X for gold prank kind of amusing?

Edit: By itself I mean, not with other forms of harassment >>
Edited by Zieto on 5/21/2013 6:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Shortly after arriving here I had someone badmouth my guild to other GMs and even go so far as to make passive-aggressive forum posts. I spent weeks fielding whispers and even one other guild leader's attempt to 'mediate' our 'dispute' when what this person was doing was straight up harassing me and my guild members.

The worst part about it was that in the end I had to produce screenshots showing that I was not at all responsible for whatever bad behavior this person was accusing me and my guild members of perpetuating, but by then I'm sure the damage had been done. The one person who bothered me for over an hour in whispers until I linked them screenshots could not at all outweigh the other people this jerk had spoken to who probably just quietly made a note to avoid me and mine. I never once sank to 'trying to get my side out' or responding on the forums, but this person ran their mouth all over the place (as evidenced by the leaders/officers of FIVE SEPARATE GUILDS that messaged me with some form of chiding or angry message), and I bet to this day there's people who believe things of my guild members that are actually absolutely untrue.

Whilst my experiences here on WrA have been by and large very positive, I have had to deal with that sort of thing here. My advice to you, OP, is not to respond to this thread. It's tempting to want to get the story straight, but you frequently draw more attention to the negativity than you might have had to weather otherwise.

(redtext that isn't red because I forgot how to grammar)
Edited by Philomene on 5/21/2013 7:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Just remember to report and ticket but not talk to the person doing it. If you try confronting said person before reporting, it becomes an interpersonal dispute instead of one sided harassment and it's far more unlikely that Blizzard will get involved.

Also...I am the only person who finds the whisper X for gold prank kind of amusing?

Edit: By itself I mean, not with other forms of harassment >>

Whisper Zieto for 100 gold!
Reply Quote
89 Undead Priest

That right there. THAT RIGHT GOD-DAMN THERE. If you are getting harassed, don't try talking to the person to try and settle the matter like adults, just report and walk away, and I am NOT being nasty here.

I can attest, personally, that trying to be an adult with online griefers like the screaming mongoloid our OP has described only nets them a slap on the wrist and an apologetic response from the GMs. The instant somebody starts to get nasty on you, and I mean nasty as in throwing homophobic comments / death threats / slander / religious bile around, hit the report button and hunker down till the GMs can deal with them.

Sadly, the instant you make contact with the offending player personally, it becomes a situation where Blizzard is unwilling to step in. Contact their Guild Leaders and ask them to stop it, if possible, or if not ... report button. Civility and mature discussion nets you nothing within the framework of this game, against the sort of mono-brow twits that think they are 'hilarious', or worse still, perfectly justified to go out of their way to harass and harm other players.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Ugh, that is the worst. I hope that you guys get it all sorted out.

I've run across a couple of people like that on WrA. Sometimes people will do that to a whole guild, or just a few members, or just that one person they really dislike. The most frustrating aspect is that people listen, often without bothering to contact the person being snarked about.

Forever ago I removed a pair of guys from a guild because I had reports from four different women in the guild who had predated the guys' memberships, and it was about serious sexual harassment and !%##%@!! jokes. The result? The two dudes made a channel and went about on a slander campaign. It was a... ...unique experience. :| And eye-opening, about how salacious people in the community can be about malicious gossip. The more ridiculous a lie, the more people want to believe it, I swear.

The best you can do is just weather it, as there's little to be done aside reporting to GMs and ignoring the perpetrators. Unfortunately, making any kind of fuss seems to just provide them exactly what they want and somehow more traction for rumourmill junk like this, because if they can get someone emotional, they'll keep trying to stick pins in.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
05/21/2013 07:50 AMPosted by Ziíchi
The more ridiculous a lie, the more people want to believe it, I swear.

I'm a shameless cynic, but I'd expect it has something to do with some very ridiculous things having been true in the server's past (not, I say, not necessarily anything to do with whomever is the target of any new rumours). People can be crazy, and those are the moments that stick in most people's minds.

Plus, y'know, it's gossip. I heard Yuyn eats babies.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Oh for the love of-

First of all, Mena, I don't know who'd want to mess with you, of all people. Good grief, I mean, what is it? Guild tag envy? <Servitors of Lothar> is a pretty neat name. Maybe they just wanted friends, or who knows, but yeesh... <SoL> is an awesome guild, regardless of the alternate meanings of that short-hand.

(This is Bagu/Kanas/Sil BTW to clarify)

That said Reshuv, I hope you get this whole mess sorted out sooner then later; although your annoyance is understandable. I don't know what it is about this game sometimes that seems to imply the social enviroment is one where all must find themselves thrown back into High School. Spreading false rumors, peddling lies, yelling and harassing other guilds for whatever petty reason...

If I wanted to watch that go on, I'd be a dyed-in-the-wool Jersey Shore fan; and I despise that abomination of a show. (For the record by the way, REAL 'Jersey folk do not fist-pump. They do pump something else though in public, and it's a gesture that gets alot of attention from the adressee; I'll let you guess which one)

Also, to whoever is spreading these rumors: I don't know who you are, nor your goals but.... I heard from a little bird that told another little bird that you not only smell like poop, but you are a sentient bag of poop IRL. And you stink as much in-person as you do online.

See? I can spread mean rumors too! :D
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Reshuv,

An associate of mine had people whispering her guild members, potentially sniping them out from her guild.
I'd like to ask a few questions related to the whispers just in case.
Of course, this will be a private matter and I shall find you in-game once the servers are live.

I have my suspicions, but I won't paint a target.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Things like this are why I encourage people never to take someone's word for it when warned against another player. Often it's a friendly warning and I've had friends spare me a great deal of headache with a simple "avoid this person." However, it's also often a smear attempt like this nonsense right here.

My policy, which has served me very well and which I encourage others to adopt, is that when I am told of someone's wrongdoing or status as a "known bad" by a person I don't already know and trust, I thank them politely and then put BOTH individuals on probation, to watch for further behavior. Because in that situation, either the person you are warned about OR the person doing the warning is someone to avoid, and it's unwise to take the opinion of either for it, sight unseen.

As an additional note, it never pays to get involved in someone else's slapfight. In the worst case scenario, where you encounter firsthand proof of one or the other party's bad behavior, do nothing more than /ignore.

My two coppers.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

That right there. THAT RIGHT GOD-DAMN THERE. If you are getting harassed, don't try talking to the person to try and settle the matter like adults, just report and walk away, and I am NOT being nasty here.

I can attest, personally, that trying to be an adult with online griefers like the screaming mongoloid our OP has described only nets them a slap on the wrist and an apologetic response from the GMs. The instant somebody starts to get nasty on you, and I mean nasty as in throwing homophobic comments / death threats / slander / religious bile around, hit the report button and hunker down till the GMs can deal with them.

Sadly, the instant you make contact with the offending player personally, it becomes a situation where Blizzard is unwilling to step in. Contact their Guild Leaders and ask them to stop it, if possible, or if not ... report button. Civility and mature discussion nets you nothing within the framework of this game, against the sort of mono-brow twits that think they are 'hilarious', or worse still, perfectly justified to go out of their way to harass and harm other players.

I'm just going to quote this because it needs to be expressed repeatedly until everyone understands it. We've all been raised with the concept that being an adult is learning how to talk through conflicts. It's something you are going to have to break yourself from, because the moment you muddy those waters with trying to 'talk reasonably' with someone, it stops being harassment and starts being a difference of opinion. This is the same irl, on other websites, etc. etc. etc. The MOMENT you respond you have changed it from unwelcome attention, to retaliating with moderator actions because they don't share your opinion. Because obviously if you like them enough to respond to them as a mature adult, you aren't being harassed. The gms are not in the heat of this situation and are keenly aware that you are BOTH human beings who may both have valid sides to the story, so they step back unless it's cut and dried that very clearly this is a case of harassment and not just two friends who are suddenly full of hate.

I know it's a difficult concept to grasp, but it's one that people have been using to get away with harassment scott free for years now, often goading you so that you DO react typically to 'be the better person' and talk things out. Being the better person these days means *walking away*. It means not spreading the rumors around as well. If someone says "Well I heard x and y and z" just laugh and shake your head and say "the rumor mill isn't my thing." If someone wants to believe x and y and z? I hate to say it but.. they're not worth your time. This is game time, not 'justify your reputation' time. Believe me, it's taken me years to learn how to let go and just walk away from things I feel are unjust because it's *MY* reputation on the line.

At the end of the day, you need to decide what is more important to spend your time on. Focusing on these rumors, etc, or finding the fastest way to get it out of your hair so you can continue with the entire reason you've logged onto this game to begin with. Playing. The best thing you can do for yourself is be aware of when you are devoting your attention to things like this person's reputation bashing, and walk away. Be creative, be inventive in the ways you remove yourself from it and go on to have fun. It *can* happen and it is entirely possible to enjoy the game even with someone flailing about and actively trying to ruin your good time.
Reply Quote
People can get to feeling mighty big behind a computer screen. As to the posts above me say.. Just don't respond to it. To those in the community who know your guild and know you, they will know that whatever posted isn't the truth.

We've had similar happen to us; blatant attacks by someone we really didn't even know. Took to our thread, in /say, or in whatever manner that said person could muster up to screw with us. Report the issue and put the person on ignore. If they are going to behave stupidly then they don't deserve a response. It only tends to fuel them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]