Majority of the 1.3m Lost Subs from the East

90 Worgen Druid
Additionally, during the quarter, Blizzard’s World of Warcraft® remained the #1 subscription-based MMORPG in the world with more than eight million subscribers, although the game saw declines of approximately 1.3 million subscribers, mainly from the East, but in the West as well.²”

You know, like China, where World of Warcraft has been bleeding subscribers for years. Where the game is licensed by a completely different company. Where all the skeleton models are censored out. Where the expansion packs get released almost two years later because they need to pass government inspections. Where part of their subscriber base are prisoners forced into gold-farming. (http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/05/26/chinese-prisoners-forced-to-farm-gold/)

Blizzard had a "better than expected" first quarter. WoW still has over 8 million subscribers. We're likely to hear of the 5th expansion this year. There is no doom and gloom needed; WoW could be doing better, but it's far from dying.
Edited by Cetan on 5/8/2013 3:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
I'm going to keep playing until whenever.
Reply Quote
That doesn't support the failure theory, and isn't panic-inducing enough, so it will be ignored.

And I'm with Grretchen -- I'm going to play as long as I'm having fun. I don't play because the game is popular. I play because I enjoy it. More now than on the day I started.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Make the topics stop....
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I'm going to keep playing until whenever.

This. Until they shut down the game forever I'll keep playing, even if I'm the only one left.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
This. Until they shut down the game forever I'll keep playing, even if I'm the only one left.

It'll be you, me and my Worgen pup for life!

Also, the way they phrased that statement, it could mean 700k East/500k West, or something like that. Mainly from the East *but* also from the West as well makes me suspicious they're trying to spin it positively (as in, well those are low-revenue subs anyway).
Edited by Dliver on 5/8/2013 3:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Cater to casuals = lose subs in the east.

Not hard to follow.

For some reason, I thought you were worgen...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Silly communists.
Reply Quote
05/08/2013 03:30 PMPosted by Dliver

Curse us game-ruining casual types!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Honestly, I really don't care how many subscribers they have. Until the servers are officially shut down, I will continue to pay and play. [Unless real life issues come up, like I suddenly become a parent or something...even then I'll sneak in some game time.] Not because of its player base, but because I like the game.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I will continue playing.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
This needed a thread!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'll keep playing till Blizzard shuts the servers down.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
how did this get reported?

Activision/Blizzard's Q1 press release.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ACTI/2467905505x0x661909/7302db20-fd71-4d87-b4c3-9a76620ce038/ATVI_Q1_2013_press_release.pdf
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
Cater to casuals = lose subs in the east.

Not hard to follow.

Or Chinese players don't appreciate the Kung Fu Panda stereotypes maybe?

Or Korean players don't appreciate an expansion being based almost exclusively on Western interpretation of Chinese themes?

Probably a combination anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Make the topics stop....

No one's forcing you to read them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
05/08/2013 03:30 PMPosted by Tianjan

Curse us game-ruining casual types!

I did the whole serious "hardcore" raider thing all the way through Wrath. I quit for almost a year just before ICC released because I wasn't having fun. I came back shortly after Cata hit and changed my play style to what most would consider casual. I'm having way more fun now than I did back when I took this game seriously.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]