Majority of the 1.3m Lost Subs from the East

90 Troll Priest
Cater to casuals = lose subs in the east.

Not hard to follow.

Plus Chinese/Korean players pay by the day(?) instead of monthly, so they constantly leave and come back.
Reply Quote

Curse us game-ruining casual types!

I did the whole serious "hardcore" raider thing all the way through Wrath. I quit for almost a year just before ICC released because I wasn't having fun. I came back shortly after Cata hit and changed my play style to what most would consider casual. I'm having way more fun now than I did back when I took this game seriously.

I was never hardcore, though I did go through a raiding phase back in late BC early Wrath, and I'm the same way. Once I learned not to take things seriously, I started having a blast. To me, there's always something to do, and I love that. I get plenty to keep me going, and I get to interact with friends as well. It's great.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
I will keep playing until im part of the last 500 subscribers. This game is far from dying as people state. Sure things may turn off some people and some people will quit but that happens with everything. 8 million subs is still a huge amount of people. Im sure the next top game has far less then 8 million people.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I guess all those US servers that are dead and dying that we hear so much about were all filled with Asian people from China. Right?

Because if 1.3 million people transferred to the 7 or so high pop realms, we'd have huge q's and long wait times and even worse stability. But we don't... so... where are all the players going from the dead/dying servers?

You just go ahead and think about that for a bit.

When my dog died when I was 6, my parents told me he went to live on a retirement farm.

Is that where people from dying realms went?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I guess all those US servers that are dead and dying that we hear so much about were all filled with Asian people from China. Right?

Because if 1.3 million people transferred to the 7 or so high pop realms, we'd have huge q's and long wait times and even worse stability. But we don't... so... where are all the players going from the dead/dying servers?

No one ever said that there weren't losses in the US, just that most of them are in the east.

Server populations are an issue. No one (at least no one at Blizzard) is denying that. But part of the problem is players transferring off low-ish population servers to high pop, making them even lower. So rather than having a bunch of medium population servers with a few high and few low, more servers are ending up one extreme or another. It's a REALLY complex issue, created and worsened by a great variety of factors.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
There is only 1 or 2 million US subscribers.
How many of those were lost?
mostly from the East, doesnt tell us anything.
so was it 700,000 from East and 600,000 from the west?

And anyway you look at it, a 15% drop in a single quarter is big.
Edited by Dâlek on 5/8/2013 4:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
05/08/2013 04:06 PMPosted by Dâlek

Uh...
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
05/08/2013 04:08 PMPosted by Cetan

Uh...
um I think there is more then that lol but good guess.
Reply Quote
There is no way there are even 1 million subscribers in the US of A alone, when North America, South America and Europe have a combined 3 million subscribers.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
There is no way there are even 1 million subscribers in the US of A alone, when North America, South America and Europe have a combined 3 million subscribers.

Agree
Reply Quote

People from dying realms come to a realm like Sargeras. There are so many damn people on this server (Alliance side at least) its ridiculous.

My friends and I all transferred about 2 to 3 toons each from Demon Soul in about 2009 or so, and none of us regret it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
That doesn't support the failure theory, and isn't panic-inducing enough, so it will be ignored.

Ignored, reported and spinned in their favor ;)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Maybe it was all the multiboxers that quit.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
05/08/2013 03:21 PMPosted by Cetan
Additionally, during the quarter, Blizzard’s World of Warcraft® remained the #1 subscription-based MMORPG in the world with more than eight million subscribers, although the game saw declines of approximately 1.3 million subscribers, mainly from the East, but in the West as well.²”

You know, like China, where World of Warcraft has been bleeding subscribers for years. Where the game is licensed by a completely different company. Where all the skeleton models are censored out. Where the expansion packs get released almost two years later because they need to pass government inspections. Where part of their subscriber base are prisoners forced into gold-farming. (http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/05/26/chinese-prisoners-forced-to-farm-gold/)

Blizzard had a "better than expected" first quarter. WoW still has over 8 million subscribers. We're likely to hear of the 5th expansion this year. There is no doom and gloom needed; WoW could be doing better, but it's far from dying.

Shhhhh don't you know sense isn't allowed on these forums?! You're supposed to preach the doom of WoW, talking about how you've played since vanilla, listing all sorts of reasons why WoW is dying and how your opinion = fact, and labeling anyone who tries to disagree as a troll!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Drak Tharon is empty. Lots of people quit over the last few months.
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight
Asian people took offense to Panderans. Chinese in particular are a proud people, especially their old folks. NATIVE chinese not American chinese. I told people it was racist caricatures of Asians culture but no one cared. Westerners have a "everything is free game" while Asian take their culture seriously. Even Asian Americans are pretty flippant about their roots.

Look at how Asian games portray westerner medival time fantasy. Swords, Armor, Knights , lots of magic , highly stylized and always good looking. Wow being a big dog , look at how they portray asians, Pandas, fat cartoonish panda. Then the fake accent and force asian feel didn't do Chinese any favor.

They were not amused, that's why the massive lost in the east. They respected western culture but the western company disrespected them.
Edited by Crappytank on 5/11/2013 8:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
I'm going to keep playing until whenever.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Most of the player base is in the east, so that being the place where the most subs were lost is not really news at all, just sugar coating. Considering this game doesn't have serious competition, a massive sub loss may be the kick in the but Blizz needed (the only possible one really) to stay on their toes rather than coast
Reply Quote
75 Pandaren Monk
I was just thinking it's because those in the east know a dying game and we Americans and South Americans..Well were a kind of special folk.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]