Would using portals in WoW cause this paradox

55 Troll Shaman
Just wondering if use of portals in WoW would trigger the transporter paradox?

What do you guys think?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Nah, that's not how WoW portals work... 'Magic' just transports entire bodies instead of little tiny particles...
Reply Quote
55 Troll Shaman
Are you sure?

Can others also confirm this?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
It comes up with engineering transportation in Borean, never mentioned about portals.
Reply Quote
55 Troll Shaman
Really?

Can you give a link please?
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warlock
What does the paradox specifically state?

In any case, I think the answer would be no. The Star Trek teleporter technology and WoW portals operate differently.

In Star Trek, a person that is "beamed up" gets broken down into a kind of electromagnetic signal, transferred into a computer buffer and then reconstructed at the target location.

In WoW, a portal is a magical window in space that allows a person to move from one location to another as though walking through a door. The magic doesn't act upon the person but rather upon the world itself.
Reply Quote
55 Troll Shaman
What was fifira referring to about Borean?
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
Are you sure?

'Portal' is defined as a door or opening. So, a portal to X is a door to X location. You step through said door. Logically a we can assume that the magic used to open a portal for people to step through and the personal teleport both function in a similar manor. So, no it is not using the same concept as Star Trek's teleporter. In WoW you are moved whole to the new location.
Reply Quote
55 Troll Shaman
Are you sure?

Logically a we can assume that the magic used to open a portal for people to step through and the personal teleport both function in a similar manor.

What exactly did you mean here? I didn't quite get it
Reply Quote
55 Troll Shaman
Also I don't think this paradox is limited to Star Trek. I've read it can be applied to real life, if we are ever able to achieve teleporting. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:Let_Bixie_Know

The evil twin was created by a transporter accident, which in other media is usually the result of the transporter paradox with a bit of corruption.
Reply Quote
55 Troll Shaman
http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:Let_Bixie_Know

The evil twin was created by a transporter accident, which in other media is usually the result of the transporter paradox with a bit of corruption.

The page you provided doesn't say anything about the twin being created by a teleportation accident. Am I missing something?
Reply Quote
55 Troll Shaman
So would you all say that the person going in the portal in WoW would also come out of it as the same guy (same consciousness) and NOT a "twin" or copy?
Reply Quote
63 Draenei Paladin
Gnomes most likely have a variant of Star Trek transporter technology that mages don't use.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:I%27m_Stuck_in_this_Damned_Cage..._But_Not_For_Long!
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage

Logically a we can assume that the magic used to open a portal for people to step through and the personal teleport both function in a similar manor.

What exactly did you mean here? I didn't quite get it

Mages have two spells. One opens a portal, or doorway. The other teleports the casters. I am saying logically they both open a 'path' of sorts that the person travels through. Think of them as a wormhole.

Also I don't think this paradox is limited to Star Trek. I've read it can be applied to real life, if we are ever able to achieve teleporting. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, paradox is not really the right word. But, the answer to your question is: Maybe. It all boils down to how the mechanic works. Star Trek presents the idea of dematerializing on one end and rematerializing on the other. This creates the idea that a person stops existing and a copy is generated. In Star Trek fiction, we don't really know all the mechanics. In sciences we are miles from developing anything like it. And to many mechanics remain in question. If/when we achieve some kind of instant teleportation the function may be like Star Trek presents their transporters, or it may be completely different. The question is academic at our level of tech, and may be rendered moot as tech gets close to it.

So would you all say that the person going in the portal in WoW would also come out of it as the same guy (same consciousness) and NOT a "twin" or copy?

So, yes. The guy taking the mage portal is stepping through a doorway. Again, think wormhole. He is not taken apart. He is full and whole as he passes through.

Gnomes most likely have a variant of Star Trek transporter technology that mages don't use.

This certainly seems the case. Like the transporters to Toshley/area 52 that can mix up your pattern.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Death Knight

Yes. Portals, magical teleportation, and Runes/Scrolls of Recall (the official, magic-y name for things that work like our Hearthstones) move the person back to wherever they take you. There's no recreation. There's travel.

It can be travel through the Twisting Nether (portals - and the Shaman Astral Recall spell), or through some other not-quite-normal space (like whatever Death Gates go through), but it's not your usual death-and-recreation sci-fi teleportation.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Death Knight
And even Gnome teleporters don't really suffer from the paradox.

Why? Because in WoW, "The Soul" is a real concept.

The body might've been recreated, but the user's soul went through the transporter, and is now occupying the near-identical (or maybe not so identical, in case of malfunction) body. Since the soul is real, and the soul is what matters, and the soul would remain even if the body was killed, well, the brief death is nothing to worry about.

The Northrend malfunction happened because of this very thing. It was an in-story use of this possible transporter debuff:

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=36901

The Gnome's soul was split in two. Her evil twin is the, well, evil half of her. She made it through the transporter, but her "evil" side went somewhere else.
Edited by Sylassanna on 5/12/2013 8:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
what is this paradox? from reading the posts im guessing it has something to do with creating duplicates of whoever is being portal'd
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight

In WoW, a portal is a magical window in space that allows a person to move from one location to another as though walking through a door. The magic doesn't act upon the person but rather upon the world itself.

Pretty much this. Gnome/goblin transporters work like a paradox but portals do not.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]