Healing Classes Mana Usage

100 Blood Elf Priest
Hey all!

I often lead pug raids, and I'm trying to get better about planning major cooldown usage - including mana regen cooldowns.

I've realized recently I just sort of assume all other healers have no problems with mana, and that I can arbitrarily designate all mana cooldowns to me. While this has worked so far, as most of my healers are personal friends, I've decided I should actually try to learn something about it.

So, if you're raiding progression content, what is YOUR mana usage like? What kind of mana cooldowns would YOU want used, and when, to benefit you the most?

The more varied the answers, the better.

P.S. I don't really care what level of raiding you talk about, as long as it's progression. So if you're heroic killing Lei Shen, or some brand new guild just starting HoF in order to gear up a bit, please speak up!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Depends on the fight.

I generally consider my mana my own concern. It's my job to remain solvent, and if I can't either someone else is doing something wrong or I'm doing something wrong. Mana varies wildly from when we're working out a strat to when we get a boss down.

I know that when we have a MTT in the raid, it gets tossed down at times. The Paladins call for Hymn of Hope, but my own is mine to use for me so I don't hold it for the Pallies.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Yeah, depends on a lot of things.

MTT will generally get dropped on CD... but hymn of hope might be given when someone needs it the most. If the priest has too much mana, they could wait until someone is gonna divine plea or innervate. Just try to watch your mage's/warlock's mana so they don't steal it.

I know on my priest, I'm doing a lot of easier content as disc, I have like 12k spirit with trinkets that proc regen - so I never need hymn for myself. So I use it when it benefits others more or after a brez. Can't speak for HM progression or anything difficult, priest's group is stuck on Megaera. :p
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm far from mana efficient, but I gear to compensate. Trinket (about 10%), racial (2%), glyphed Plea (12%), potion (10-15% depending on variant), and Melee for insight (4% per proc).

About a minute into the fight I'm using popping racial, and 30 seconds or so later depending on how much meleeing I'm able to do I use Plea and/or trinket. My goal is to stay as full as possible as long as possible, and to nail the CD's as soon as they come up. I'll throttle back healing after a plea for a couple extra ticks of spirit regen, but for the most part I don't rely on others CD's if I can avoid it.

I favor mastery (absorbs) over spirit, as it buys me time immediately.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The Paladins call for Hymn of Hope, but my own is mine to use for me so I don't hold it for the Pallies.

As far as I'm concerned, Hymn of Hope is used during a convenient Mindbender/Shadowfiend. If the other healers can line up a plea/innervate/mana tea channel, great for them but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it if they don't.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
As far as I'm concerned, Hymn of Hope is used during a convenient Mindbender/Shadowfiend. If the other healers can line up a plea/innervate/mana tea channel, great for them but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it if they don't.

^

I'm not holding my HoH for other people's benefit. It will be used during Mindbender - probably my second or third bender, and then again 6 minutes later if it's a long enough fight.

I will, on request, call it out in Vent or with a macro. Not sure how much good it's going to do you; you're probably going to get more mana by using your CDs on CD than by trying to line them up with mine.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I guess I should add some more info:

I'm specifically talking about mana cooldowns that could be used to help others.

For instance, if there's a dps druid in the party who won't need his innervate (or even a tank if there's time when he doesn't need to be tanking); or if there's a MTT shaman in the party, or if there's a priest in the party (even a shadow one), they all have mana cooldowns.

Healers are generally the only ones who actually worry about mana though, so often many of these don't really get used. However, I carry enough gear with me, that I can drop some spirit if I know there's extra mana cooldowns available (and it won't cut into something else important like lowering dps if we're worried about enrage, or distracting a tank when he really needs to be picking up the boss).

So in those situations where there are extra ones available, would they help you? Would you like to be included in the discussion of when to use them? Would you be able to modify your own spell usage in order to make good use of the extra mana if they were assigned to help you?

(For instance, I did Horridon once with 7 innervates cast on me, which allowed em to wear PURE dps gear, which increased my throughput by a significant amount.)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
You can dump all the mana you want into a holy priest. I assure you, we can make good use of it. Paladins are probably a safe bet too.

Other specs have lower returns on mana. It's probably not worth gimping your boomkin's DPS to innervate a disc priest. (Feral/Guardian druids are fair game, though.)
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
H

I've realized recently I just sort of assume all other healers have no problems with mana

This made me laugh because I didn't see the his class but when I read it I was like he must be a disc priest....What a lovely world you must live in.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Just want to point out:

I run with 5.7k spirit, my main spec IS shadow, and on the first 5 fights in ToT, I can hold my own just fine as a third healer. Probably wouldn't want to 2 heal any of them except Jin'Rokh. My spirit is so low that even with rapture, PW:S costs me mana, so I only use it if the tank is getting spiked. The extremely high haste allows my atonement spam to actually hit multiple people fairly rapidly (smite for instance is a 1 second cast any time I've got any haste cooldowns going, which means I can pop 50k heals on people all over the place; with 25% crit, DA is going pretty strong too. Would that stop mageara's rampage? hell's no. I bust out my SS, pop power infusion, and cast 8 prayers of healing instead.)

But I'm always worried about mana, no matter what fight it is. So I'm trying to learn more about other healers and their mana concerns, so that I can plan things better.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
But I'm always worried about mana, no matter what fight it is. So I'm trying to learn more about other healers and their mana concerns, so that I can plan things better.

My best advice for you then: start making a disc set. Rapture works off how much spirit you have. Otherwise you are forcing your other healers to use their mana CD's at moments when neither one of them will actually benefit from it. That's a lot to ask.

I will always make sure at least 2 people in my raid will benefit from my MTT. I don't drop it if it's only one person- just feels like a waste to me. It's on a 3 minute CD- I want to make sure I'm not wasting it for just one person.

On my priest- who is MS disc- I almost never need mana and I'm only running with 9K spirit. I make use of rapture, I make use of my mindbender (personally I like this talent much more than solace), also I only ever use POH as a way to spread spirit shell during high damage phases. I do my best not to just sit there and spam my smite macro also.

Smite spam kills your mana. Cascade is a much nice spread heal after the high damage has gone out.

I'm also running a mastery/crit/low haste build (which effects our shields <PW:S and Divine Aegis procs>). I have no problems keeping a raid up.

Like I said though, you need to put together a healing suit. Disc stat priority is a lot different than shadow.
Edited by Jujubiju on 5/17/2013 11:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I keep a close watch on the other healers' mana bars.

I pop MTT early-ish, once their mana bars look like they could use a top-up, and then on cooldown.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
unfortunately, in the last 156 bosses killed/coins rolled, i've only got 2 pieces of useable gear. this has led to a distinct lack of a secondary set of gear yet. But it is certainly one of my goals!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
You can dump all the mana you want into a holy priest. I assure you, we can make good use of it. Paladins are probably a safe bet too.

Other specs have lower returns on mana. It's probably not worth gimping your boomkin's DPS to innervate a disc priest. (Feral/Guardian druids are fair game, though.)

Paladins? No. Paladins can not make good use of mana. You are going to have to explain taht one to me for me to buy it.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest

Feral/Guardian Innervate awards 6k mana to the receiver.

You should probably learn what you are talking about before talking about it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Feral/Guardian Innervate awards 6k mana to the receiver.

You should probably learn what you are talking about before talking about it.

I think you misread what he was saying.
Reply Quote
96 Blood Elf Mage
I've just started healing on my 84 resto druid and I notice that when the whole group is starting to take damage, I have to start using wild growth and swift rejuv on everyone to keep them up while keeping up my lifebloom charges and rejuv on the tank as well. After a minute of consistent party damage, my mana is near like 65%.

Like I said I am new to healing so should I start bringing pots and drinks with me or is it not needed?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]