PvE Hunter Compendium (5.3 and beyond!)

90 Orc Hunter
The heroic BiS list doesn't have the weapon listed. Just Fyi.

Thank you for doing thing Bullettime!
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
Great job! Sticky requested and liked.
Reply Quote
Sticky requested!
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
I asked this in the sticky before I noticed this post so I will post it here as well. Since posting in the other thread I saw the bit about PPM trinkets in this thread which helped me understand a bit. But I still don't understand why reforging out out of haste increases my DPS sometimes on
Femaledwarf, but doesn't others. (For instance, if I reforge my Cloak and Bracers away from haste it shows a DPS increase, but then if I also do it to my belt it is a large DPS drop. Is there some kind of plateau in the PPM system?)

Ok, I am a pretty experience Hunter but I am supremely confused in regards to current Survival stat priorities because I'm getting conflicting information everywhere. All guides that I have seen say Crit>Mastery>Haste, but I see Hunters reforging Crit>Haste>Mastery, and I see top Hunters gemming Agi/Haste gems over Agi/Crit gems.

Is there some sort of Survival Haste plateau that I am not privy to? When I mess with my reforges on Femaledwarf I also get conflicting info which has lead me to believe that there must be some sort of plateau. On some pieces of gear it's telling me that reforging Haste to Mastery is a small DPS boost, but then on others I'm seeing a huge DPS drop.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Crit>Mastery>Haste for low gear levels
Crit>Haste>Mastery when you have Soul Charm+Bad juju
Haste>Crit>Mastery BiS
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
But I still don't understand why reforging out out of haste increases my DPS sometimes on
Femaledwarf, but doesn't others. (For instance, if I reforge my Cloak and Bracers away from haste it shows a DPS increase, but then if I also do it to my belt it is a large DPS drop. Is there some kind of plateau in the PPM system?)

The way FD calculates your DPS is to generate a simulated shot breakdown based on the priority, latency, and length of fight you specify. Haste affects both the number of Cobra or Steady Shots you are able to complete and the number of autoshots and pet basic attacks you perform.

For the second case, it is possible that adding a small amount of Haste to your character causes your swing timer (the time between autoattacks) to decrease. This change is then cascaded through the rest of the shot report. The result is that the simulation provides one or two extra autoshots or pet basic attacks, thus increasing your DPS. This affect, is relatively small, however.

What leads to larger swings in DPS is when you add enough Haste to adjust the number of Cobra or Steady Shots performed in the simulation. Again, just a small amount of Haste can be enough to alter the simulated shot selection. By casting a faster Cobra or Steady Shot, the simulation is able to use more Focus-consuming shots. This affect can provide large swings in your DPS.

Because of these affects, Haste is generally overvalued on FD and most other simulations.
Edited by Adarant on 5/10/2013 10:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
The one thing that I noticed. If you are using a shot macro for direhorn beast/humming crystal. You might as well use serpent sting instead of arcane shot to save 5 focus.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Also, glyph of disengage often doesn't get love. I've found it useful in several situations. Namely Iron Qon when I need to get out of Wind Storm or clear several fire lines.
Reply Quote
91 Orc Hunter
Assuming hit/expertise cap, is LFR Juju better than the VP trinket?? I just messed around in femaledwarf a bit and it looks like its simming higher. Am I doing something wrong or is that right??
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Sticky requested. Glad you got this going, Bullettime.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
I'm gonna go ahead and request your post as a Sticky. Very nice guide and hope for you to finish it soon :)
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
Amazing post and sticky requested. Keep up the good work!
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
I'm back! Working on updating/fixing stuff.

@Sarthe A lot of this was done, especially the BiS list, before the math about Haste/RPPMs so it's a matter of updating the guide to reflect recent findings. Working on it though.
Edited by Bullettime on 5/15/2013 4:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
BiS list list and "rotation" coding updated for Surv and Beast. Will be doing some more math and research on Marks.
Edited by Bullettime on 5/15/2013 5:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
Bumping for sticky.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Why hasn't this been sticky yet?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter

Takes awhile sometimes.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
05/18/2013 03:56 PMPosted by Bullettime

Takes awhile sometimes.

Yeah. Just trying to keep it up top while I can :)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Bump. So many posts on the first page about 5.3 changes.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Bullet, I know you're busy and updating this thing takes time, so this is really just a thinly veiled bump...

Assuming that the bugged interaction between Bestial Wrath, basic attacks, and Blink Strikes is fixed, are you also finding that Blink Strikes is the preferred DPS talent for that tier?

Also, Blink Strikes enabled my pet to attack Onyxia during her air phase...it was really weird watching my pet float in the air while attacking. Once she landed, the next basic attack brought my pet to the ground.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]