Top 10 Hunter Changes Since Burning Crusade?

44 Night Elf Rogue
Hello. I'm creating a list of the top 10 positive Hunter changes since Burning Crusade. I'm trying to avoid talking about individual spells. What are your suggestions?

1. More Classes can be Hunters: Humans, Worgen, Goblins, Undead, Pandaren
2. The Hunter “Dead Zone” was removed in patch 2.3 – info here.
3. Aspect of the Pack is now raid wide
4. Call Stabled Pet: This new ability lets the hunter remotely access the stable
5. Stablemasters can now accommodate two additional pets.
6. Pets now have their own trees.
7. Aspect of the Cheetah: Can now be learned at level 16. (3.2)
8. The time that traps will exist in the world after being put down has been reduced to 30 seconds (3.2)
9. Traps can be set while in combat, but require a 2 second arming time. (2.1)
10. Hunters Can Throw Traps
11. Ammo has been removed from the game. (4.0)
12. Five pets can now be stored with the hunter at all times. Any one of these five pets can be summoned via the Call Pet ability. (4.0)
13. Focus has replaced mana as a new resource (4.0)
14. The Stable will now store 20 pets. If a pet is moved into the Stable, its talents are wiped. (4.0)
15. Hunters can now use Auto Shot while moving. (4.0)
16. Tame Beast now tames pets to match the hunter's level (4.1)
17. The Happiness/Pet Loyalty System has been removed. Hunters will no longer have to manage Happiness for their pets, and the previous damage bonus for pets being happy will now be baseline for all tamed pets. (4.1)
18. The Aggressive pet stance has been removed and replaced with the Assist stance. This stance will cause the player's pet to attack the player's target. The pet will not change targets unless the master attacks a new target for a few seconds. (4.2)
19. The Defensive pet stance will now only cause the player's pet to attack enemies which attack the pet or the master. (4.2)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Been so long, some of these maybe already have been in place in BC.
From a PvPers perspective:

1) No deadzone. zomg.
2) Explosive shot, chimera, arcane shot all as viable kiting damage
3) Pet CC (web, mostly)
4) Traps useable in combat, aimable
5) Focus versus mana
6) Disengage not being terrible and useless
7) Not needing a macro to use steady shot
8) Kill shot
9) Permanent track all (track hidden + track humanoids at same time sweet!)
10) No melee :(.....nothing as fun as to hit that 20% warrior or rogue with a huge 2h raptor strike crit after they got too close
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
1. No minimum range
2. Traps in combat
can't think of anything else that was a positive change other than general damage buffs, but those are too basic
Instant aimed?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
The focus change could be considered amazing or terrible depending on what activities you took place in.

In cata it destroyed hunters in pvp because the implementation was horrible, but it was awesome in pve.

The aggressive stance change was not a good one.. It was just a random change that helped mentally challenged people switch their pet's target. Assist stance is one of the most annoying pet AI things to work around. Slow pet reactions and target switching you don't want.
Edited by Curious on 5/8/2013 3:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Not gonna lie i actually hate the fact that they changed my pet to assist simply because i could leave my pet on one target and blow up another and then switch as needed which is impossible to do now other than keeping serpent sting up
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Flame Shield squarely in place, but I'm not a huge fan of numbers 1, 11, 16 and 17 from the OP's post. It's all personal preference, but generally because each one of those changes detracted from choice significance, complexity which contributed to uniqueness, and/or immersion (yeah, I know, the "I" word).

Addressing the specific issues, I'd stress that these are all personal preferences, and while not a RP'er, I am a lore !@#$%. For number 1, originally class/race distribution was loosely based upon lore and the culture or nature of each particular race. While changes to that were definitely possible, I don't believe a convincing job was done story- and lore-wise to justify such large changes.

Regarding number 11, while I can understand how others would view it as an inconvenience, for me having to purchase or craft as well as carry ammo was something that added uniqueness and character to the class. It also contributed to the epicness of raiding or doing a dungeon as part of the 'prep', as well as an additional area of upgrade potential (engineering crafted green and blue quality, and epic quality ammo earned, usually, via reputation).

As to numbers 16 and 17, both of these changes markedly decreased pet significance, rather than adding to it. Not only did you tame that rare pet, but then you took the time to level it up, and get it's loyalty level to 6. This, as well as having to feed your pet to keep its happiness up gave pets more personality and built a greater sense of identity and attachment to particular pets.

Everyone has a different idea of what is fun, so while some people may consider the aforementioned changes something that lead to a more fun experience, unfortunately for myself, they took away a bit.

Edit: for grammar.
Edited by Mizuko on 5/9/2013 2:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Hello. I'm creating a list of the top 10 positive Hunter changes since Burning Crusade. I'm trying to avoid talking about individual spells. What are your suggestions?

1. More Classes can be Hunters: Humans, Worgen, Goblins, Undead, Pandaren
2. The Hunter “Dead Zone” was removed in patch 2.3 – info here.
3. Aspect of the Pack is now raid wide
4. Call Stabled Pet: This new ability lets the hunter remotely access the stable
5. Stablemasters can now accommodate two additional pets.
6. Pets now have their own trees.
7. Aspect of the Cheetah: Can now be learned at level 16. (3.2)
8. The time that traps will exist in the world after being put down has been reduced to 30 seconds (3.2)
9. Traps can be set while in combat, but require a 2 second arming time. (2.1)
10. Hunters Can Throw Traps
11. Ammo has been removed from the game. (4.0)
12. Five pets can now be stored with the hunter at all times. Any one of these five pets can be summoned via the Call Pet ability. (4.0)
13. Focus has replaced mana as a new resource (4.0)
14. The Stable will now store 20 pets. If a pet is moved into the Stable, its talents are wiped. (4.0)
15. Hunters can now use Auto Shot while moving. (4.0)
16. Tame Beast now tames pets to match the hunter's level (4.1)
17. The Happiness/Pet Loyalty System has been removed. Hunters will no longer have to manage Happiness for their pets, and the previous damage bonus for pets being happy will now be baseline for all tamed pets. (4.1)
18. The Aggressive pet stance has been removed and replaced with the Assist stance. This stance will cause the player's pet to attack the player's target. The pet will not change targets unless the master attacks a new target for a few seconds. (4.2)
19. The Defensive pet stance will now only cause the player's pet to attack enemies which attack the pet or the master. (4.2)

I’d like to present a counterpoint to the positive spin on your list, and I mean no disrespect in doing so. The following are just from my own perspective as a hunter since my realm first opened (2006 or so):

1 Not awful, but more homogenization is not good.
2 The ‘original dead zone’ was in fact very difficult to deal with versus reasonably skilled players. The next so-call ‘dead-zone’ was appropriate, as it required the hunter to use his tool box to maintain distance. The current iteration? “Hunter For Dummies”.
3 Positive.
4 Negative. Convenient? Yes. Hunter flavor? Decidedly not.
5 Not sure I understand this one.
6 Negative. Back in the day a special pet was indeed special, as was learning the skills needed to teach the pet. Currently it’s terribly dumbed-down.
7 Positive.
8 Neutral.
9 As old school as I am, having to drop combat to set a trap was too much. This is a positive change.
10 In PVP I think this was needed. In PVE I’ll bet one hunter in ten couldn’t trap a mob the way it used to be done. The finesse sometimes needed was actually quite a thing to watch on a really good hunter.
11 Bad. Bad. Bad. Hunter flavor gone. Working our way through the minefield of requirements to get to that next level of ammo was a test of perseverance and dedication.. Those things are gone.
12 For pet lovers? Positive. For others? Meh.
13 Blizzard has figured out the focus needs, just like they had figured out the mana needs. This one’s a wash.
14 See number 12.
15 Negative. A simple skill that was nonetheless required to play at higher levels. Allowing auto-shot while moving was another dumb-down change.
16 Negative for sure. Taming pets and training them in the world, while also learning the skills you wanted to teach them was part of being a dedicated hunter. This change makes it all about end-game. And this change is exploited frequently by arena hunters.
17 Negative. Our pets are now just a DOT. We don’t wean them, we no longer train them to know certain skills, they are no longer unique in any shape or sense, and the hunter no longer has any sort of bond with them. The way it is now, while streamlined, fast, easy and convenient, is a shadow of the old way. New hunters will never know the real joy.
18 Negative. Blizzard bowed to complaining rogues and in doing so made our pets look like they’re leashed with a yo-yo.
19 Neutral.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
one of my favorite changes would have to be the pet your taming scale to your level lol didnt really like having to level a pet 30+ levels under me

also removing the loyalty system would be another one of my favorites. now that i know the game alot better i wouldnt mind having it back, but when i first started playing WoW..the biggest problem i had was my pets abandoning me because i didnt have the food they needed..xD *horrible owner*
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
[quote]

6. More Classes can be Hunters: Humans, Worgen, Goblins, Undead, Pandaren
1. The Hunter “Dead Zone” was removed in patch 2.3 – info here.
3. Call Stabled Pet: This new ability lets the hunter remotely access the stable
7. Stablemasters can now accommodate two additional pets.
4. Pets now have their own trees.
5. Aspect of the Cheetah: Can now be learned at level 16. (3.2)
2. Traps can be set while in combat, but require a 2 second arming time. (2.1)
3. Hunters Can Throw Traps
1. Ammo has been removed from the game. (4.0)
8. Five pets can now be stored with the hunter at all times. Any one of these five pets can be summoned via the Call Pet ability. (4.0)
9. Focus has replaced mana as a new resource (4.0)
10. The Stable will now store 20 pets. If a pet is moved into the Stable, its talents are wiped. (4.0)
11. Hunters can now use Auto Shot while moving. (4.0)
1. Tame Beast now tames pets to match the hunter's level (4.1)
12. The Happiness/Pet Loyalty System has been removed. Hunters will no longer have to manage Happiness for their pets, and the previous damage bonus for pets being happy will now be baseline for all tamed pets. (4.1)
terrible change --> The Aggressive pet stance has been removed and replaced with the Assist stance. This stance will cause the player's pet to attack the player's target. The pet will not change targets unless the master attacks a new target for a few seconds. (4.2)

better if my pets attack stealths on his own when i see them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]