How are you guys doing 1v1? (any spec)

90 Orc Shaman
Req
I fracking suck at 1v1, totally embarrassed myself trying to defend Thrallmar today against a mage. Before when I was dueling in Org, someone (whom I couldn't beat) told me that Elemental does really well 1v1 due to burst. Do you think this is true? I just started Elemental in MoP so I'm pretty rookie-ish, when I use it in PvP I normally end up feeling totally helpless lol

With Resto I normally can't beat anyone 1v1 anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
You were fighting a mage what did you expect and elemental burst is easy to shut down interrupt elemental blast you can't cast anything, interrupt lava burst during ascendance there goes your burst.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Req
05/09/2013 08:44 AMPosted by Lisara
You were fighting a mage what did you expect

I expected to lose. More the fool am I, I guess.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Elemental actually does really well against a mage and your glyphs are really bad.
Edited by Grenade on 5/9/2013 9:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Ele = Ascendance and GG. Unless the oponent has a brain
Reply Quote
91 Orc Shaman
05/09/2013 09:06 AMPosted by Grenade
Elemental actually does really well against a mage

ele against mage is so much fun.

interrupt lava burst during ascendance there goes your burst

1) Ascendance is not how you burst as ele
2) if you DO get interrupted on lava burst during ascendance Unleash Flame, elemental blast, (by that time the fire lock is over and you just did ~50-110k damage to the mage) and he cant do anything to stop your damage (or healing) for the next 20 seconds.

The scariest thing about mages is Blanket counterspell. Interrupt is nothing.
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Shaman
your gearing is awful. you don't have enough of the following:

resil
pvp power
haste
crit

use nature's guardian instead of astral shift

i highly recommend totemic projection to move your earthbind/grab and capacitor totems

your gems are just plain bad, you need to gem for +resil, +int & + resil, and +pvp power

practice juking casts against classes with interrupts.

if you want to heal, cast lava burst. if you want to burst, cast heals/lightning bolt. when they interrupt it, cast the stuff you want to cast.

don't cast ele blast until they've used all their interrupts/silences.

if their interrupt is on CD, cast heals after a lava burst and/or other crit to get clearcasting heal bonus.

if you get blanket silenced, try to LOS them. if that fails, cry and/or flail your arms around until the silence is up and/or you die
Edited by Naqoyqatsi on 5/10/2013 3:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Req
ty, I'm going to focus on gemming resil then
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Shaman

You want at least 65% resilience and IMO 50% PVP power. After that, it's mastery > haste > crit.

And don't forget you only need 6% spell hit in PVP.
Edited by Naqoyqatsi on 5/10/2013 12:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
05/10/2013 12:20 PMPosted by Naqoyqatsi

You want at least 65% resilience and IMO 50% PVP power. After that, it's mastery > haste > crit.

And don't forget you only need 6% spell hit in PVP.

there isnt a priority for secondary stats in pvp its all about playstyle/comp
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

My gemming is perfect. Do what I did.
Edited by Grenade on 5/10/2013 4:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I hope you all aren't forgetting to purge. And quit wasting your grounding totem on stupid things!

I have noticed I typically die in 1v1 unless of course there is a large gear gap.
Reply Quote
67 Orc Shaman
HAM
And quit wasting your grounding totem on stupid things!

As soon as you get nova'd/Pet Frozen, IMMEDIATELY drop your Grounding totem if you can sheer the pet's auto cast (vs medium skilled frost mage)
or sheer the next Fire hardcast coming from a fire mage.

If the mage has a brain, he's going to ice lance and eat your totem, giving you 1-2 extra seconds of time to think.
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Shaman
there isnt a priority for secondary stats in pvp its all about playstyle/comp

mastery > haste > crit is general advice
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Req
I hope you all aren't forgetting to purge. And quit wasting your grounding totem on stupid things!

I don't forget to purge but I do randomly throw my Grounding Totem out, lol. In fact it's macro'd to my Windshear, just because I might freak out and click it while I'm backwards or something.

I've found that I can hold my own a little better but more often then not I lose. I've defeated a warlock, a boomkin, a fury warrior (Wpvp, probably wrong spec), and a mage in my guild (PvP is not his strong suit but he knew the basics, and I struggled a little).
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Enhancement is fairly weak for arenas but I do pretty well 1v1, especially against frost mages ;) Fire is a little more difficult for me though.
Reply Quote
I've been getting murdered today, this is just no fun. I definitely need to work on my fake casts.

Anyone know a good addon that tracks enemy interrupts/CDs or do I just need to stop being so damn lazy?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
funny thing i was beating everyone on duels friday in orgrimmar, the other guy who was beating everyone was a ele shammy.

when we finally duel eachother he got me at 2 HP! but i won, thougest fight of my spriest life! never lost a duel but he was good, knew what to do and most important what to do against every class dueling there.
Reply Quote
91 Orc Shaman
Anyone know a good addon that tracks enemy interrupts/CDs or do I just need to stop being so damn lazy?

interruptbar is what i use, its nice and simple.

juked is also out there and ive heard good things about it, i just dont use it.

but getting interrupted is sometimes a GOOD thing. you just need to get interrupted on the spells you dont need...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]