Casual players take a Stand

90 Undead Rogue
Casual players are probably more social than hardcore serious players because they have more time to just chat because they aren't focused on progressing as much and they are in the game for a different type of fun than just simply progressing through Raids..

"I like this point you made."
90 Undead Rogue
What if a person is a hardcore pet battler? spends hours each day leveling their pets to max level and collecting every pet there is? Doesn't that make them hard core, even if they don't care about raiding?

"And I'd like to say, you have done well. I just got my Venus Pet the night before last. Three more particular Pets, and I get my Zookeeper Title."

I mean where is it written that in order to be hardcore you have to Raid? I mean can't people who only care about PvP be hardcore if they spend hours a day doing nothing but PvP and getting to be the best PvPer they can be?

"Good question."

("Edit: Messed up a sentence, sorry.")
Edited by Cyndilou on 5/11/2013 1:15 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I felt like it was pretty obvious you were trolling. However, you did get quite a few people to get angry, so props to you.

*for future troll posts, don't use so many "!" . Just an observation :P Happy trolling!
90 Tauren Paladin

What if a person is a hardcore pet battler? spends hours each day leveling their pets to max level and collecting every pet there is? Doesn't that make them hard core, even if they don't care about raiding?

I mean where is it written that in order to be hardcore you have to Raid? I mean can't people who only care about PvP be hardcore if they spend hours a day doing nothing but PvP and getting to be the best PvPer they can be?

I meant no offense and I do agree, a player probably isn't casual if they are heavily trying to progress in PvP or bet pattles or anything and spend hours upon hours a day doing so but personally I always consider 'hardcore' players on WoW to be those that raid a significant amount in addition to other game features.

For example, I consider my brother a hardcore WoW player, he raids every weekend and they push hard to try and progress but in addition to that he does pet battles/LFR's/PvP and usually on multiple characters every week..

Of-course looking person by person you could probably say "This makes them a hardcore gamer, this makes them not a hardcore gamer" and so on but I chose raiding as my example.. Even a casual player who has their own personal goal of something to do that day can go after that goal in what could be considered a 'hardcore' manner..

I simply meant to point out that his definition was far from defining a casual player but more so the tendency of an anti-social player that prefers a "Campaign" mode..
Edited by Saulgreat on 5/11/2013 1:16 PM PDT
90 Undead Priest
Secondly Blizz has done better at getting gear for this type of person but lets face it your still off base way off. I pay my $15 a month just like everyone else why do I have to be in Guild to get the best gear in the game. That forces me to do something I do not want to do, is that fair to me. i say NO!

It sounds too me like MMO games are not for you...I am a casual player too but I know how MMO are meant to work...This is a game that is meant to be played with other players! If you want a single player experience go play a single player RPG!

To me it sounds like you are just trolling though.
90 Undead Rogue
05/11/2013 01:14 PMPosted by Saulgreat
For example, I consider my brother a hardcore WoW player, he raids every weekend and they push hard to try and progress but in addition to that he does pet battles/LFR's/PvP and usually on multiple characters every week..

"You got me curious.........."

"My Husband works long hours, and I stay at home, so I do Dailies and Pet Battles, mostly. (Just got exalted with the Tillers, finally. /sarcastic YAY!) We only do raiding/group stuff, etc., on his days off. But on those days we hit every raid, instance, whatever, we feel we can get to. Occasionally we get help from others, but most of the time it's just us two. We have a Guild, it's our own. It's only level 9, and has just a few active members, but we still have fun. My Husband and I play mostly together, alone, mainly because of his hours, he works nights."

"From that, would you consider us Casuals?"
/curious grin
90 Human Warlock
LoL yes casual means many things to many people agreed. But seriously I believe that getting especially pvp gear should not be that difficult.

I pay my $15 a month just like you all so why should i be FORCED to do guild runs or do rated bg's to or arenas to get CP capped. I do not like to play in those type of groups, I do LFR and randoms all day but Why should I not get the same rewards as the others.

This game is about choice, if I choose not to play with others that my choice damn it. I just think that if I choose to do so for my own reasons that should not deny me the opportunity to get the best in game gear. Gear should be available to all player types.

The lone wolfs, the guildees, the i wanna hold your handers, to all.
90 Human Warlock
yes work together but if i choose to be a lone wolf should i by forced to have to rely on others to get the best end game gear? I pay my $15 same as you don't I.
90 Worgen Death Knight
Frist lets define the casual player: One who is not on much and also included in this definition is the player who does not want to be in a guild. Also, the causal player is one who is a lone wolf, does not play well with others type and generally hates someone else telling them what to do in most cases.

Dude, what? I'm casual and I'm in a guild, I love playing with friends.

If you want to be this "edgy lone wolf" go play Skyrim and listen to some more Linkin Park.
90 Night Elf Hunter
go play Skyrim and listen to some more Linkin Park.

Very much this.

Go away, you antisocial weirdo. Shooo!
90 Tauren Death Knight
The game already caters very well to people who prefer to play solo -- which is NOT the definition of "casual", by the way.

But if you think the game needs to do even more to cater to people want to play solo -- if actually using social and communication skills in groups with other people is //that// egregious to you -- then the MMORPG genre is not the right kind of video game for you.

Skyrim awaits.

/thread
Edited by Rottingbull on 5/11/2013 1:33 PM PDT
90 Tauren Paladin

/curious grin

I would consider you(both) pretty casual players with goals that you like to accomplish each week that may lead to seemingly hardcore hours spent playing.. Me personally I don't like pet battles and dailies get boring but I have been trying to get my blacksmithing up lately so I may spend a ridiculous amount of hours mining because I like mining and I can do it while chatting with people in-game. I do LFR's every week(which is when my hardcore hours come in) where I will sit with 1-2 friends and try to complete every LFR in 1 night so I have them done for the week..

I think the fact that I have time to chat with new people and look at forums during the stuff I am doing means I am playing pretty casually where-as I know both guilds my brother has raided with I am lucky if I can ask him anything because he is just that focused(not only during raiding but that is the most often when it is like talking to a wall).

It boils down to priorities, some feel like you aren't experiencing the true potential of the game if you are sitting around talking to people and not progressing your item level and/or your achievements and others think your missing out if you aren't talking to people when you are playing probably the largest MMORPG game in the world..

I think most casuals fall between those priorities where they do a bit of both..
90 Tauren Death Knight
05/11/2013 01:27 PMPosted by Voldamarta
This game is about choice, if I choose not to play with others that my choice damn it. I just think that if I choose to do so for my own reasons that should not deny me the opportunity to get the best in game gear. Gear should be available to all player types.

I know you're probably a troll. It is the weekend, after all, and I think junior high schools are getting out for summer.

Anywaaaaay...

Choices, eh? Yes! And choices involve something called CONSEQUENCES.

If you choose not to play well with the other kids, then you're not going to get as many cookies.

Consequences.

/thread
Edited by Rottingbull on 5/11/2013 1:37 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Druid
Frist lets define the casual player: One who is not on much and also included in this definition is the player who does not want to be in a guild. Also, the causal player is one who is a lone wolf, does not play well with others type and generally hates someone else telling them what to do in most cases.

First, let us begin with defining a troll who creates a definition that suits their own needs then believes in self-entitlement when they actually do not deserve a single thing.

Welcome to a MMO, honey. This isn't a FP game. What's the point in playing if you're anti-social? Really.
90 Undead Rogue

/curious grin

I would consider you(both) pretty casual players with goals that you like to accomplish each week that may lead to seemingly hardcore hours spent playing.. Me personally I don't like pet battles and dailies get boring but I have been trying to get my blacksmithing up lately so I may spend a ridiculous amount of hours mining because I like mining and I can do it while chatting with people in-game. I do LFR's every week(which is when my hardcore hours come in) where I will sit with 1-2 friends and try to complete every LFR in 1 night so I have them done for the week..

I think the fact that I have time to chat with new people and look at forums during the stuff I am doing means I am playing pretty casually where-as I know both guilds my brother has raided with I am lucky if I can ask him anything because he is just that focused(not only during raiding but that is the most often when it is like talking to a wall).

It boils down to priorities, some feel like you aren't experiencing the true potential of the game if you are sitting around talking to people and not progressing your item level and/or your achievements and others think your missing out if you aren't talking to people when you are playing probably the largest MMORPG game in the world..

I think most casuals fall between those priorities where they do a bit of both..

"Good answer, thank you."

"I consider us Casual Hardcores, lol. When we DO have time, we rip through as much content as we can. I do the Dailies because it gives me something to do while he is at work. I did Pet Battles for the same reason, at first, but then I got to enjoy it after awhile. I would love to play more, but I am leaving Hubby in the dust enough as it is, since I have more time to log in than he does."
Edited by Cyndilou on 5/11/2013 1:41 PM PDT
80 Blood Elf Paladin

LOL yeah this is totally 90% of players.

You know what your talking about
90 Blood Elf Mage
05/11/2013 12:56 PMPosted by Draugjin
I'm a casual player. I play while wearing t-shirts and shorts.

No pants or you're trying too hard.

Can I be casual while wearing some sort of skirt?
90 Blood Elf Mage
yes work together but if i choose to be a lone wolf should i by forced to have to rely on others to get the best end game gear? I pay my $15 same as you don't I.

As several other posters have pointed out, an MMO may not be the right kind of game for you. You are paying $15 a month to play a massively multiplayer game, not a single player one. Perhaps Skyrim would suit you better.
90 Draenei Shaman
Once upon a time I was fairly hardcore, but currently I am a casual player. I also have forsaken guilds because I'm sick of having to look for a new one after they have imploded due to drama or just died a slow death. I just spend my time doing casual bgs, lfr and getting achievements.

There are a few things that bother me about Blizzard's model.

PVP - Having Conquest gear being better than honor gear I feel is stupid. Crafted gear, honor gear and conquest gear should all be the same stats. Bring the player not the gear. I do think that the three types of gear should be cosmetically different. Gear obtained though arena should be more gladiator-esque looking. Battleground gear should be more military looking (soldier-esque). And finally PVE crafted gear should look more adventure-esque. Give high rated players vanity crap that they can buy (mounts, tabards, etc...)

Guilds - Guild buffs are too good and should be removed or be made easier for small guilds or solo players to acquire (Mass Resurrection for example).

Crafted gear - Haunted Spirits only available by disenchanting 522 gear. I am on a dying server (alliance side) and pretty much nobody does 522 content. I have never seen a haunting spirit in the AH EVER. In BC I could craft high end gear without much issue, I miss those times. Having a profession that can't craft gear until it's obsolete is dumb.
Edited by Zsigmond on 5/11/2013 2:19 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]