Want to play healer w/o mouse!

20 Draenei Paladin
I want to play as a healer without a mouse... But everywhere I look people say a mouse is needed to *click* on raid frames. And then they start recommending addons... I am not against addons, but I do not want addons that encourage me to click.

I've been looking at macros and keybinds, but they are ether inaccurate or force me to tab through allies excessively till I get to the injured player. I am aware of F1-5, but I'd like something that can at least cover a group the size of a wsg raid.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Edited by Twivil on 5/15/2013 6:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't suggest anyone play without a mouse. That's my suggestion.
Reply Quote
20 Draenei Paladin

><
Edited by Twivil on 5/15/2013 6:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/15/2013 06:43 PMPosted by Twivil

><

I should probably expand on this. Or ask more of what you're trying to do. Are you just trying to not be a clicker or are you trying to play completely without a mouse?
Reply Quote
20 Draenei Paladin
05/15/2013 06:45 PMPosted by Bavra

><

I should probably expand on this. Or ask more of what you're trying to do. Are you just trying to not be a clicker or are you trying to play completely without a mouse?

Attempting to play completely without a mouse. Its not a matter of not having one, so much as it is trying to see how effectively it can be done.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
It cannot be done effectively for raids or BGs. You can do it for Arenas and 5 man content.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
To elaborate. To heal you need to target (usually a player, sometimes an enemy depending on what healer you are playing). To target you need to either have each player in your group assigned a target keybind or you need to use some other method to select them. The most effective way to do that is to use a mouse (mouseover macro or a raidframe addon that you can click to heal).

For arenas and 5 man content you can easily assign target keybinds (and do some clever things with macros so that clicking the keybind also heals that target if you use a modifier or other smart things) but for raids (especially 25 man raids) or BGs with 10+ on a team you will find that you quickly run out of space and that it's not a practical way of achieving your goal.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Just thinking this through if you are talking about a pvp environment, then a mouse is your quickest way of moving about. Keyboard turning is frowned upon in those environments (it's slower, you will be targeted easier).

It might be helpful if you explained why you don't want to use a mouse. If it's a disability issue then there might be some regulars here who can point you at some information about other ways/devices that can be used instead of a mouse.
Reply Quote
how effectively it can be done.

It can't be effective. If anything you need the mouse to move around and aim your camera. You also as a healer need the mouse to either click on raid frames or for mouse over macros. The game is really based on the keyboard/mouse combo that so many computer games use. You will be severely hampered by not using a mouse.

You will always be out performed by a player using a mouse.
Reply Quote
20 Draenei Paladin
It's just a different style of play from the norm that I am interested in trying out.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
So you're doing it as a sort of challenge? Ok then but as Bavra and I have both pointed out, you are seriously restricting your potential and you will struggle in any serious content.
Reply Quote
20 Draenei Paladin
So you're doing it as a sort of challenge? Ok then but as Bavra and I have both pointed out, you are seriously restricting your potential and you will struggle in any serious content.

Yea, there are a fair number of threads people have made about this, but no one seems to have come up with an answer... So I figured I'd give it a go xD
Reply Quote
but no one seems to have come up with an answer

I think because it's akin to playing with one hand, or with a blind fold on or soemthing. There really isn't a challenge beyond the limitation you're putting on yourself. Personally it just doesn't sound very rewarding.
Reply Quote
80 Human Warlock
Well if you arent against addons you should try some healing addons, they are pretty useful sometimes
Reply Quote
20 Draenei Paladin
05/15/2013 08:38 PMPosted by Bavra
but no one seems to have come up with an answer

I think because it's akin to playing with one hand, or with a blind fold on or soemthing. There really isn't a challenge beyond the limitation you're putting on yourself. Personally it just doesn't sound very rewarding.

I'll report back when I achieve the desired end ;)

Well if you arent against addons you should try some healing addons, they are pretty useful sometimes

Any you could recommend? I've looked at healingbot and grid; both of which heavily stress clicking unit frames, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

I've been trying out [@targettarget] macros which help somewhat as I only have to target the enemy, if I'm trying to heal what that enemy is attacking.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
I'm firmly in Bavra's corner on this one. From my perspective, it's an issue of how – and how well – you want to do your job as healer. In actuality, you could queue as healer in LFR, spec discipline, and smite heal the whole run. You'd be pretty effective, and you could rely on your five teammates to pick up the emergency slack. You won't need a mouse to do this.

Similarly, in 5-mans I suppose you could adopt the philosophy of "I'm the healer. My job is to keep the tank (and myself) alive. The DPS are on their own." You could heal this way without a mouse, I suppose.

Have you done much healing? What is your approach, and how effectively do you want to safeguard all party members? Speaking as a veteran healer and DPS – and occasional tank – I wouldn't want you healing ANY group I was in if you were coming in with the philosophy of "Hey guys! I wanna see if I can do this (to steal Bavra's image) with one hand tied behind my back." Remember that while you are working out the bugs and "seeing if this works," the party will be wiping, and you will be wasting at least four other people's time. When you explain what you are doing, their fingers are going to be nervously twitching over their kick buttons.

Simply put, you will be a MUCH better healer if you adopt the philosophy of, "My teammates aren't there for ME, I'm there for them."
Reply Quote
I've never run outside macros inside WoW, but if you can, then it should be possible.

http://www.autohotkey.com/

You can create a macro that sends the mouse pointer to any location on your screen and click or just hover at that location. I imagine this sort of script is frowned upon or blocked though, I'm not really certain. Still, it's just mimicking mouse input, so it shouldn't be too egregious an over stepping of propriety.

Just use a part frame set up you like, macro the proper portrait positions to the keyboard and you should be good to go.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
I once leveled a mage without using any gear, just to see if I could do it. Fun challenge, but I wasn't about to jump into LFD because I didn't want to disrupt the run for four other random players.

However, playing devil's advocate here: since you're a trial twink on Aerie Peak, it shouldn't be hard to find four other players who'd be okay with you trying it out, especially since the first couple dungeons would be a much safer environment than if you were to attempt this in level 90 heroics. Try it in Deadmines or WC, if it goes well, step it up in the Stockade.

But I agree that subjecting other people to "I wanna see what happens" is rather selfish, and trial twinks have a bad enough rep as it is. It's one thing to have physical limitations, or to be stuck with a laptop and no mouse, but to do it for the sake of doing it, you'll gain a lot more ground when the other people involved are working with you.
Reply Quote
20 Draenei Paladin
Have you done much healing? What is your approach, and how effectively do you want to safeguard all party members? Speaking as a veteran healer and DPS – and occasional tank – I wouldn't want you healing ANY group I was in if you were coming in with the philosophy of "Hey guys! I wanna see if I can do this (to steal Bavra's image) with one hand tied behind my back." Remember that while you are working out the bugs and "seeing if this works," the party will be wiping, and you will be wasting at least four other people's time. When you explain what you are doing, their fingers are going to be nervously twitching over their kick buttons.

Simply put, you will be a MUCH better healer if you adopt the philosophy of, "My teammates aren't there for ME, I'm there for them."

I played a priest to lvl70 back BC. The guild I was in cleared all of Black Temple, but never finished the Sunwell... So it's been a WHILE since I've done any serious healing.

At level 20 here, things aren't too complicated, when it comes to healing; Flash of Light when you can, Holy Shock to healing while moving, and Word of Glory for emergencies.

The goal is to create a reliable way to heal without using the mouse at all. The aim would be simplicity while maintaining efficiency.

However, playing devil's advocate here: since you're a trial twink on Aerie Peak, it shouldn't be hard to find four other players who'd be okay with you trying it out, especially since the first couple dungeons would be a much safer environment than if you were to attempt this in level 90 heroics. Try it in Deadmines or WC, if it goes well, step it up in the Stockade.

But I agree that subjecting other people to "I wanna see what happens" is rather selfish, and trial twinks have a bad enough rep as it is. It's one thing to have physical limitations, or to be stuck with a laptop and no mouse, but to do it for the sake of doing it, you'll gain a lot more ground when the other people involved are working with you.

Uh-oh, someone is on to me lol. Yea, I'm not gonna jump straight into a group environment without working out the bugs, don't worry.

I've never run outside macros inside WoW, but if you can, then it should be possible.

http://www.autohotkey.com/

You can create a macro that sends the mouse pointer to any location on your screen and click or just hover at that location. I imagine this sort of script is frowned upon or blocked though, I'm not really certain. Still, it's just mimicking mouse input, so it shouldn't be too egregious an over stepping of propriety.

Just use a part frame set up you like, macro the proper portrait positions to the keyboard and you should be good to go.

I've been looking at that program for sometime actually, but if I understand what you wrote, I could just use the in-game keybinds, or macros, to select party frames when healing.

I do appreciate the suggestion though; it's creative stuff like your comment that made me think to post here :)
Edited by Twivil on 5/16/2013 9:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/16/2013 09:30 AMPosted by Twivil
I've been looking at that program for sometime actually,

I wouldn't use the program that was posted. That looks awfully like something that will automate for you. You are on a highway to ban town if you do that. Just work within the framework of the blizzard macro window.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]