Why are my mechanical pets sooo bad?

90 Undead Hunter
Are they all this bad? Right now I have 3 at max, Cogsblade Raptor, Fluxfire Feline, and Rabid Nut Varmint 2000. I try to use them vs Beasts but they get owned so quickly I end up using another beast or some other type rather than the mechanical who is supposed to be strong vs Beasts.

Should I level up my others (have a bunch at low level) or is it not even worth it?

(by the way all are blue)
Reply Quote
92 Draenei Shaman
Clockwork Gnome and Darkmoon Zeppelin should be good, and tankier than Fluxfire. Fluxfire is really good in PvE though, just not a tank by any stretch.

Also keep in mind you can use flyers to take less damage against beasts. Best is probably the Dragon Kite, but obviously hard to obtain.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
What matters when fighting beasts is not that your pet is mechanical, but rather that your attacks are mechanical. If you are using beast-type attacks, which all three of yours can do, you won't get the bonus. Make sure you are using Batter or Metal Fist and not Bite or Thrash. And in the case of the FFF, don't bother.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
FFF is on the squishy side and lacks a decent mechanical-damage ability.

Cogblade Raptor, I would use Screech, Exposed Wounds, and Batter in that order.

Rabid Nut Varmint 5000, Rabid Strike and Metal Fist with either Overtune or Metal Plating depending on if you need the speed or the defense more.

To really mess up some beasts, though, you want to get yourself a Clockwork Gnome and use Turrets. Ideally in conjunction with something that has Call Lightning, like a rare Wild Golden Hatchling.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
05/08/2013 11:45 AMPosted by Ryxl
Cogblade Raptor, I would use Screech, Exposed Wounds, and Batter in that order.

I find the S/S Raptor so fast that Screech is optional. But it is a good 'just in case' you face something truly fast. I might try to find a P/S breed though since 305 and a mandatory speed buff / debuff is pretty nice.

And I agree: exposed wounds + batter is a lot of damage against beasts.

If you can pick up a Darkmoon Tonk while the faire's in town; that thing is also a beast killer, but the Raptor at least is pretty good anti-beast.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
What matters when fighting beasts is not that your pet is mechanical, but rather that your attacks are mechanical. If you are using beast-type attacks, which all three of yours can do, you won't get the bonus. Make sure you are using Batter or Metal Fist and not Bite or Thrash. And in the case of the FFF, don't bother.

That^^^
You're probably using the wrong attacks. Mechanicals can be really good pets if used right. My Clockwork Gnome is a regular in my groups and has saved my butt often.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
What matters when fighting beasts is not that your pet is mechanical, but rather that your attacks are mechanical.

This is biggest hurdle for newcomers to the system I think, you need to compare your pet family based on the type of attacks it can do not on its displayed pet family (though the family usually matches most of its attacks).
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
That^^^
You're probably using the wrong attacks. Mechanicals can be really good pets if used right. My Clockwork Gnome is a regular in my groups and has saved my butt often.

Me too, but I hate repair, if you get stunned (in any round) it doesn't go off, if you get forced swap via deathgrip, it doesnt go off. hots and other delayed attacks do so not sure why this is balanced to not go off.
Reply Quote
94 Draenei Shaman
I use 3 mechanical pets vs Pet Trainers.
Darkmoon Zeppelin vs Thundering Pandaren Spirit (3rd pet) and vs Antari (3rd pet too)
Cogblade Raptor vs Darkmoon Pet Trainer (3rd pet)
Landro's Lil' XT vs Mo'ruk (1st-2nd pets)
Edited by Kiamato on 5/9/2013 8:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
If you can get a Son of Animus it will help out greatly. My personal favorite for beast's and usually a solid part of my everyday team.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Rabid Nut Vermin isn't bad, are you using the correct attack? Good rotation is extra plating, Rabid strike (dmg increse), followed by metal fist (over and over). It's a tank pet, so expect it to tank, not to output a whole lot of damage.

If you just need it to tank for a while use extra plating and repair. Usually it's good to que up some long shot moves ahead of this like Curse of Doom. And don't repair too early, I usually do it when I know it'll take them about 4 turns to finish my robot, so I can comfortably repair.

Also mech is best vs magical pets. Beasts can still hit very very hard and it'll be a problem if your damage output is low.
Edited by Kenpo on 5/9/2013 9:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I personally think tranquil mechanical yeti, clockwork gnome and darkmoon tonk have the best combos. The yeti with super charge+call lighting deals a lot of damage and adds a 25% more damage to following abilities and dropping towers with the gnome after this crushes pets. The tonk has a 25% stun with one of its abilities, lock-on/ion cannon also hurts.
Only downside is you need a stone for the yeti.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
I get pretty frustrated with my mechanicals right now too, Cogblade Raptor and Anodized Bear, especially when the bear's one ability has a high chance of missing. See me raising fist at monitor then looking around hoping no one noticed. I am currently levelling my Clockwork Gnome and the Sentry (full name escapes me at the moment but he looks to have some decent abilities.) A suprising opponent against beasts is the Effervescent Glowfly when used properly he is quite effecting.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
The ability that solves this issue; Extra Plating.

The mech pet that have been in service and seen more battles than any other mech pet combined is the Warbot.

It starts off as a uncommon, you need a stone to get it up to rare quality. This pet usually hits pretty hard due to its P/P only breed.

What very nice defensive ability is Extra Plating. Reduces 50% damage for 3 turns. Pick a pet that has Extra Plating and it will work wonders at taking punishment.

Darkmoon Zepplin is my second pet of choice, it has the decoy that absorbs two energy shots.

If survivability is an issue I suggest you pick a mech pet with Extra Plating.
Edited by Urbersproak on 5/14/2013 4:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
19 Human Paladin
My primary go to engineering pets are 325 speed with solid move sets that replaced my FFF's when they got nerfed.

- blue clockwork rocket bots (have 3), one of the best overlooked eng pets, all six abilities are solid, no worthless filler spells on this pet.
- robo-chick (have 2) mostly use batter, overtune (needed against leap speed ups), windup

it is hard to face tamers major payne and gutrench in northrend with slow eng pets. major paynes bear will wipe alot of eng pets if he gets to go first. gutrench's worms bring terror on slow and fast eng pets using leap (speed up) which then in way pull 2 turns on you

- rabid varmint 5000 (have two 325 speed) abilites are rather lame/weak
Edited by ßettyßoop on 5/15/2013 2:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
I am currently levelling my Clockwork Gnome and the Micro-Sentry, they look like they are going to be effective, am I correct about that?
Edited by Charvae on 5/15/2013 10:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
I am currently levelling my Clockwork Gnome and the Micro-Sentry, they look like they are going to be effective, am I correct about that?

Very correct.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
I can't say enough about the Clockwork Gnome.
The turrets may look silly and SEEMINGLY only do piddly damage....but the turrets will mow down beasts faster then you think.

But, give it a try....anyone who has any fustration or hesitancy with Mechanicals I would say give the Clockwork Gnome a try. He is, IMHO, the best Mechanical toy out there
well...at least for PVE....

*sigh*...one day I'll start doing PVP....
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Druid
The turrets may look silly and SEEMINGLY only do piddly damage....but the turrets will mow down beasts faster then you think.

The turrets are cool, but shell shield and similar moves counter them HARD because they are a multihit dot.

On the other hand they can be really brutal when you swap to something with an ability that increases damage by a fixed amount, like the Kun-Lai Runt's mangle or Oily Slimeling's corrosion. The stampede family is pretty effective too, or for even better results, both (with the zandalari raptors that can do that combo).

Lightning storm, swap to gnome, build turret, swap to zandalari, black claw/exposed wounds, hunting party would probably be overkill even on a beast of fable.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]