Get the Desktop App for Battle.net Now
- All your games in 1 place
- Log in once
- Automatic game updates
Nintendo has announced an expansion to their worldwide hit MMO World of Mario, to be titled Plains of Bald Eagleland.
The expansion will feature a new race called the Eagle-o, which are strapping bald eagle like creatures that wear ten gallon hats and are hardened by a life of poverty in the trailer park. They like to chew tobacco and spit it into empty plastic bottles which they throw at their enemies as their racial ability, and they have a love for Pabst Blue Ribbon.
A new class will be introduced called the Gunslinger. What really needs to be said about them? I think you know. Bald eagles with guns.
Among the new zones will be an arid desert with a big canyon, a rolling grassland with huge herds of buffalo inhabited by a peaceful race of red-skinned humanoids called the Caricachoree, and a glittering metropolis beset on one side by magnificent wealth and on the other by crime, destitution and starvation.
So my question(s) to you, dear WoW player, is:
1. How would this hypothetical expansion to this hypothetical MMO be received in Mexico, or Canada, or any number of other "Western" countries that are not the US?
2. How would it be received in the US, where players would be treated to a litany of stereotypes purveyed by Japanese game designers?
3. Now, how might a player in Korea receive a so-called Asia-themed, but clearly China-centric expansion?
4. And how might a player in China react to a game loaded with Kung Fu movie and other stereotypes from a Western game studio?
Edited by Hablix on 5/8/2013 2:42 PM PDT
troll or not
1. I look at like regional television programming. Or like how out of town reporters come to your state/city and make biased reports that glaringly shows a lack of knowledge about the area.
2. It wont surprise some people. It will shock others.
Screw the rest of the questions. I'll just put it this way. Ask former service members about how they are portrayed on some movies, games, and t.v. shows. I will tell you that a lot of the times, it's either way over-exaggerated, way too simplified, or just flat-out wrong. I still have not broken myself from the habit of telling my friends, "it's not really like that..etc" whenever we watch or play things that depict combat and non combat experiences. Serious.
Edited by Dendi on 5/8/2013 3:10 PM PDT
OP took this from MMO-Champion to make a satire about MoP in China.
Yes, it was intended to be satire to illustrate a point about the loss of subs in Asia, but apparently it didn't work out. Also got moved from General forum so that didn't help. (I was also the one who left that comment on MMO-Champ if you didn't notice.)
Edited by Hablix on 5/8/2013 3:33 PM PDT
What are you talking about, they FINALLY announced the release of Earthbound for North American Wii-U virtual console!
Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.
Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.
Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.