20 24 Bracket: Current State of Affairs II

90 Human Mage
My post capped previous thread..

Have a shield slam day
100 Night Elf Warrior
I've been playing this bracket recently on a few toons, both sides, and I've found it to be a lot of fun.

One thing I've noticed is that there aren't many shamans around. I've seen a couple that seemed to be effective, and obviously they have the option to grab the knockback ability which can be clutch, but I'm wondering what you guys think of the relative viability of the different specs of shaman in this bracket.

I mainly like WSG, and I like to play toons that can contribute either offensively or defensively (running/supporting/guarding/returning). So I'm also looking for good class options for all-around 2-way play.
24 Gnome Warrior
First day in the bracket. Fun stuff. 5 minutes trinket makes me want to kill myself.
5 minutes trinket makes me want to kill myself.
This! Voted up x 100
24 Pandaren Shaman
I've been playing this bracket recently on a few toons, both sides, and I've found it to be a lot of fun.

One thing I've noticed is that there aren't many shamans around. I've seen a couple that seemed to be effective, and obviously they have the option to grab the knockback ability which can be clutch, but I'm wondering what you guys think of the relative viability of the different specs of shaman in this bracket.

I mainly like WSG, and I like to play toons that can contribute either offensively or defensively (running/supporting/guarding/returning). So I'm also looking for good class options for all-around 2-way play.

Resto is almost unkillable.

Enhance is complete trash.

Elemental isn't as good as resto but it does have it's place. For starters it's a spriests hard counter (the most powerful dps spec in the bracket). You prevent them from building orbs and doing dmg by windshearing mindblast, you purge their shields so they're under constant pressure, you keep them snared with frostshock, you easily out heal their dmg, you never OOM with water shield, you watch their mana bar drain and you occasionally lightning bolt crit for 600 just for giggles.

Thunderstorm is great for knocking EFC's into compromising positions.

Next patch all shamans can cast LB while moving.

If you play elemental intending to be a pure dmg dealer you will be disappointed. It's more a utility + support healer kinda of spec.

In short, shamans do not have a competitive dps spec in the 20-24 bracket.
24 Pandaren Shaman
05/09/2013 12:27 AMPosted by Khizzash
I mainly like WSG, and I like to play toons that can contribute either offensively or defensively (running/supporting/guarding/returning).

Prot warrior #1 yolo swag

prot pally
any healer

anything but a dps class

if you must dps go shadow priest or mage.

This guy is either trolling or doesn't have much experience in the bracket if he's suggesting a mage for dps. Mages currently have the worst dmg mitigation in the bracket with no shields to compensate. Any hunter using chain cc's or spriest will just annihilate a mage, lvl 24 or not.

They are also mana sponges due to their terrible mitigation. So even with a healer they will generally still get wrecked eventually.

Sure it's possible to go 30/ 40 - 0 as a mage. I've done it as both frost / arcane on my 24 mage, but if you are actually facing skilled players or the powerful fotm classes, you're going to get floored.
24 Pandaren Shaman
First day in the bracket. Fun stuff. 5 minutes trinket makes me want to kill myself.

Not sure if you're aware or not, but ALL pvp trinkets including the heirloom one, are becoming 2 min cd's in patch 5.3

edit; You really can't complain though....your a gnome. You can escape artist crippling poison and void tendrils if need be.
Edited by Yoshimitzo on 5/9/2013 3:00 AM PDT
100 Night Elf Warrior
Resto is almost unkillable.

Enhance is complete trash.

Elemental isn't as good as resto but it does have it's place. For starters it's a spriests hard counter (the most powerful dps spec in the bracket). You prevent them from building orbs and doing dmg by windshearing mindblast, you purge their shields so they're under constant pressure, you keep them snared with frostshock, you easily out heal their dmg, you never OOM with water shield, you watch their mana bar drain and you occasionally lightning bolt crit for 600 just for giggles.

Thunderstorm is great for knocking EFC's into compromising positions.

Next patch all shamans can cast LB while moving.

If you play elemental intending to be a pure dmg dealer you will be disappointed. It's more a utility + support healer kinda of spec.

In short, shamans do not have a competitive dps spec in the 20-24 bracket.

Thanks, thats a very interesting synopsis. Given the strengths of resto shamans as you've outlined, especially against spriests in this bracket, do you think they're under-represented or have I just randomly not seen many in the games I've played?

I guess I may have to try one out and see.
24 Pandaren Shaman
Thanks, thats a very interesting synopsis. Given the strengths of resto shamans as you've outlined, especially against spriests in this bracket, do you think they're under-represented or have I just randomly not seen many in the games I've played?

I guess I may have to try one out and see.

You don't see many resto shamans because they can't do any damage. 2.5 second lightning bolts that hit for 200-250 just don't cut it.

Whereas other healers like disc priests (penance / instant holy fire), holy paladins (denounce spam) and resto druids (ferocious bite still hits hard) can all kill people.
Edited by Yoshimitzo on 5/9/2013 3:41 AM PDT
44 Worgen Warrior
I think my last wsg in this bracket had 6 fully twinked horde prot warriors.

I play shaman (resto and ele on occasion) both horde and ally side on my ftp account, as well as h.pal and r.druid. Shaman trail behind the others in both damage and healing output but makes up for it in group utility. If you have little group cohesion ele may be more flexible for you.

I think the reason shaman are under-represented is simply they aren't op. People don't often want to twink a toon that makes you work for it, and shaman of all specs make sure you work to be competitive. Witness all the prots, s.priests, r.druids....
Edited by Zoomiez on 5/9/2013 5:53 AM PDT
24 Blood Elf Warrior
The above posters have it right. As for healing specs, shaman damage is right at the bottom with druid, and shamans have the worst instant heal of any healing class at 24 (not including monk in this discussion). I do have a 24 resto shaman, and the added utility between flame shock, frost shock, purge, and dispel do make it a blast.
28 Pandaren Hunter
05/09/2013 07:00 AMPosted by Khizzash
hunters are near-worthless vs all the tanks.

This guy is either trolling or doesn't have much experience in the bracket

Just to back up what people have said before, I'd highly recommend Ele Shaman. They're super versatile and have tons of utility. Really solid offheals, a decent bit of damage with a crit/sp stack, Purge, Thunderstorm (amazing for defense - knocking people off roof, preventing repicks etc), Frost Shock, the outrageously long 30 second Flame Shock dot for rogues.

As long as you can fake cast (not very hard to do effectively in this bracket), you'll have really solid survivability. You'd also bring some much needed class diversity to the gulch.
21 Blood Elf Mage

Whereas other healers like disc priests (penance / instant holy fire), holy paladins (denounce spam) and resto druids (ferocious bite still hits hard) can all kill people.

Yoshi hit the nail on the head.

I made a 24 goblin shaman, and I quickly lost interest in it. I decided that shaman is not a class for me, and I deleted it. It's not that I thought shamans were bad, but the mechanics and the general play-style of shamans does not appeal to me or the masses.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lacrìmosa
90 Undead Warlock

I was discussing making a level 24 with a friend a few days ago. They used to twink, and seem to be getting tired of grinding Conquest on different chracters.
I believe I said I would roll an Hpally.
Solid healer? There seems to be a decent amount of gear available.
Maybe I'll just get it to 24, get a decent level of gear and check out the bracket. Doesn't take long to see what's what.

Hpally is a solid and versatile choice for this bracket. Hpally has some several interesting options for gear sets, which will allow you optimize your gear to suit your own particular play-style.
Edited by Frosthoar on 5/10/2013 4:29 PM PDT
21 Blood Elf Mage
An update of what's current and interesting from the May 7th PTR patch notes:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/9135374

General:

The following summoned pets/totems will now chain cast their spells with no delay between casts, allowing them to cast their spells more frequently in the same amount of time.
Mage: Water Elemental
Shaman: Searing Totem
Warlock: Wild Imp

PvP:

All characters now have a base Resilience of 65%.

Battle Fatigue now reduces the amount of healing and absorbs by 45%, up from
30%.

PvP Power bonus to healing is now based on class and specialization.

Healing specializations receive a 100% bonus to healing from PvP Power.
Damage specializations for Druids, Monks, Paladins, Priests, and Shamans receive a 70% bonus to healing from PvP Power.
All other specializations and classes (including tanking) receive a 40% bonus to healing from PvP Power.

The following PvP trinkets now have a cooldown of 2 minutes, down from 5 minutes.

Bequeathed Insignia of the Alliance
Bequeathed Insignia of the Horde
Inherited Insignia of the Alliance
Inherited Insignia of the Horde
Inherited Mark of Tyranny
Insignia of the Alliance
Insignia of the Horde

Hunter:

Hunters now have 50 pet stable slots, up from 20.

Aspect of the Hawk now increases ranged attack power by 25%, up from 15%.

Revive Pet now has a cast time of 4 seconds, down from 6 seconds.

Intimidation is now a level-30 talent available to all Hunter specializations and no longer learned by Beast Mastery Hunters at level 20.

Mage:

Arcane Explosion now deals 40% more damage.

Blizzard now deals 40% more damage.

Priest:

Penance now deals 10% less damage, but healing done is increased by 10%.

Shaman:

Lightning Bolt can now be cast while moving.

Warrior:

Defensive Stance now decreases damage taken by 25%, up from 15%.

Shield Slam (Prot spec) now receives a 50% bonus to attack damage from attack power (down from 100%) for Warriors below level 85.
24 Human Priest
I have to say I really enjoy playing my resto shaman if only for purge. Apart from the odd heal that's about all I do is spam purge/windshear.

Its not an op class at all but maybe for this reason I find them really fun to play.

Also, finally got a charged gear of intel today!
29 Night Elf Priest
<<too lazy to farm gnomer, im not sure how people can handle more then one trip in there and thats coming from someone who's farmed revolosh more times then i ever care to figure out.
90 Undead Warlock
Hpally is a solid and versatile choice for this bracket. Hpally has some several interesting options for gear sets, which will allow you optimize your gear to suit your own particular play-style.

Ty :)
24 Worgen Hunter
Started this guy last night and got to 24 today.........Jesus Christ worgen starting zone is the longest, boringest, god get me out of here zone in wow..

Anywho, i hate going in to xp off with out nearly bis but did tonight. 5 games.. we steam rolled 3 got steam rolled 2. Have not played a hunter in over a year in pvp and boy did i suck.. but constant damage leads charts but burst.. not so much.

Gonna get my bis gloves tomorrow.. have 15agi on scroll. Was fun but not sure if it's as fun as it used to be, i used to get off work and log onto hunter and relax and kill 300 f2p and log off.. now it's very much like max level .. most kills take time to set up.

P.S. My god boomkins.. they snatch the life right out of you..
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]