WildStar looks fantastic this is one to watch

90 Human Monk
I just heard about WildStar on Zybaks channel and it really look fantastic. I will be following this one now. It looks like it has all the good aspects of World of Warcraft and a more exciting version of them too, in addition to many fine aspects from other MMOs.

Official site: http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/

Dev Speak video on movement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qo5nrkYYI0

It also appears to be mixing futuristic tech and magic, very cool combo that hasn't been successfully done in the MMO space imho.

One of the available race choices is a big mean looking robot, totally cool!

High hopes for this one.
Edited by Thessik on 5/9/2013 10:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
75 Goblin Rogue
Heh, I hadn't even heard of this one until a few days ago. Saw it on MMOHut's "Top 10 MMOs We're Anticipating for 2013" video where the art style grabbed my attention, then as I looked up more and more stuff on it I just kept getting more and more excited.

I'm trying not to get too hyped up about it since that usually leads to disappointment, but this game isn't making it easy...

It isn't trying to be as "revolutionary" as GW2, but that also means it isn't throwing the baby out with the bathwater. It takes a lot of the stuff GW2 did right (more action-focused combat, shared mob tapping, PvP gear normalization, encouraging exploration) while not doing drastic things like ditching the tank-heals-DPS trinity (I hated GW2 for doing that).

The combat isn't quite TERA-level "action-MMO", but it's a good compromise. While you can optionally lock targets like in WoW and GW2, all this seems to do is aim attacks in that direction, so you can still miss if the target walks (or dodges) out of the way.

There's no auto-attack, and weapon swings hit everything in their path. However, you can move freely during melee attacks, unlike TERA, which is nice. Healers have to actually aim their heals, so playing Grid whack-a-mole won't work here.

Plus, the art is freaking gorgeous. It looks like an awesome cross between WoW and Ratchet & Clank, except with modern textures, shaders, and models. Carbine studios has a lot (I think 17?) of former vanilla WoW developers and artists on the team, and it definitely shows. The sci-fi/fantasy setting that doesn't take itself too seriously is also pretty cool.

Like I said, trying to temper my excitement.... but it's pretty difficult. :s

The ONLY major caveat with this game is that NCSoft is the publisher. Hopefully it does well enough that they keep their greedy fingers out of it.
Edited by Akeno on 5/9/2013 8:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
The ONLY major caveat with this game is that NCSoft is the publisher. Hopefully it does well enough that they keep their greedy fingers out of it.

Honestly, that in and of itself will probably be enough to keep me far away from it.
Reply Quote
75 Goblin Rogue
05/09/2013 08:26 PMPosted by Mogrigg

Honestly, that in and of itself will probably be enough to keep me far away from it.

I can definitely understand that. They're like the Korean EA.

They seem to have left Arenanet to their own devices, thankfully. And Aion's F2P conversion was actually pretty good.

What they did to Paragon and CoH still stings, though.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
You go where the games are.

Wildstar does look good. I'm more than a bit interested. Even if NCSoft screws the pooch a year or two down the line, there's still potential fun to be had. It is F2P; not much to lose on this bet.

I'll most likely check it out, if nothing else attracts my attention in the meantime.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
It is F2P
I don't think they announced the business model yet unless I fell behind on the news.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
The game diverts from the mold little at all, from what I've seen. Not what I'm interested in. I do like the graphic/aesthetic design though.

I watched a video with TB doing the interview a couple of weeks ago, and it was said the business model for the game wasn't yet announced / still under discussion. Has that changed?
Edited by Lysiana on 5/10/2013 4:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I recall seeing it lumped with other F2P games coming down in the pike over on Gamespot. That's where I first picked up on it. Other than that, I can't say.

It seems most similar to CoH in the way it plays. I'm fine with that. It's not what I'd consider ideal, but it isn't a traditional Diku-style MMRPG, either, which is good.

I still think it's worth a look if it ever goes live.
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight
I just heard about WildStar on Zybaks channel and it really look fantastic. I will be following this one now. It looks like it has all the good aspects of World of Warcraft and a more exciting version of them too, in addition to many fine aspects from other MMOs.

Official site: http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/

Dev Speak video on movement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qo5nrkYYI0

It also appears to be mixing futuristic tech and magic, very cool combo that hasn't been successfully done in the MMO space imho.

One of the available race choices is a big mean looking robot, totally cool!

High hopes for this one.

Will they have an rts game made befkre they release the mmo so we can see how we shape the world? If yes, I am on board, if not I'll just go ff route.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
What is so exciting about this game? I remember seeing the trailer for it like 2 years back and thought nothing of it. Anyone care to enlighten me?
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight
Wow vanilla dev woooo hoooo!. Other then that, not much, they don't even have thdir fourth race yet. But yeah, won't buy a game without an rts in front of it so we can know what is going on.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
more action-focused combat

Twitch is a deal-breaker.

no auto-attack

So it's a burst-fest.

Healers have to actually aim their heals

Incomprehensible fail.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
I dont mind characters that are on the cartoony side. But if the graphics are anything like I saw while checking out the website, no thanks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]