Gelbin Mekkatorque: Underutilized Badass

90 Human Warlock
I've been thinking about possible lore for 5.4 from the Alliance's side, and outside of the Draenei (Who I have regulated to never doing anything ever), one faction within the Alliance stuck out to me in terms of their absence: the Gnomes. I wanted to take a closer look at the Gnomes and their faction leader, Gelbin Mekkatorque. I wanted to ask a larger section of the lore fanbase a question, which you can find in my video about Mekkatorque here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3PC3jI_18ic

Essentially, would you agree that Blizzard's regulation of the Gnomes to a comedic race that is short and has high-pitched voices wasting what could be potentially interesting storylines with them? Even regardless from a Horde vs Alliance standpoint, because the same is applied to the Goblins. Feels as if the Goblins and Gnomes are regulated to the obnoxious tropes of "Short and Greedy" and "Short and high-pitched" respectively. I could make an argument for the Goblins (At least the Bilgewater ones) breaking this trope slightly more than the Gnomes, but it still feels that each race is entirely absent unless a technology is needed, which they are then trotted out to seem important for the immediate story before being shelved again.

The one and only example of the Gnomes fighting on their own in Cataclysm is against the Goblins, of course, in the Stonetalon Mountains. And even there, it's this whole zany "technology gone wrong" spin on what could have been an epic battlefield. I would like to think I give a good argument of where the Gnomes and Goblins could be utilized going forward, and I was wondering about others' opinions of the future of the two technological powerhouses of Azeroth.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
They can't because the "zany technology gone wrong" is how they fight their wars, seriously. People in general can't take this seriously, so those two races are considered jokes. There is no way to use the gnomes in a fight without using their incredibly advanced (for wow) technology, and for some (most?) people this makes them seem like jokes. The ridiculous names certainly don't help either, but we can't take them seriously even when they are put into the game in a serious situation.

Honestly, nothing short of Mimiron descending from Ulduar and taking the side of the Gnomes could give them any remotely non-joke development.
Edited by Dampledobe on 5/10/2013 10:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
...except their entire history and their faction leader? None of it has any elements of the stupid trope that people attribute to them.

Operation: Gnomeregan is a good example where they strike a balance between seriousness and still being able to have a comedic race. You don't have to make them absurdly ridiculous and stupid to be comedic.
Edited by Vergell on 5/10/2013 11:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Yes, gnomes are way underutilized. Not every gnome is an engineer, and not every gnomish invention has to be comic, either.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
The one and only example of the Gnomes fighting on their own in Cataclysm is against the Goblins, of course, in the Stonetalon Mountains. And even there, it's this whole zany "technology gone wrong" spin on what could have been an epic battlefield. I would like to think I give a good argument of where the Gnomes and Goblins could be utilized going forward, and I was wondering about others' opinions of the future of the two technological powerhouses of Azeroth.

I've always liked the Gnomes vs Goblins theme and I fondly remember Fizzle and Pozzik's Speed Barge when I was questing there.
Gelbin is probably my favorite faction leader and I find his story and situation (and the way he reacts to it) believable.
Gallywix on the other hand. Despite not liking him for all he has done the the Cartel, I do like him as a character and find it refreshing to have a faction leader that isn't all happy and kind to his own people and only looks out for himself. Don't get me wrong I firmly believe that he will be overthrown one day and we'll get a new Trade Prince but until then I would like to see a bit of development on him before he is disposed of.

When it comes to taking the Gnomes and Goblins seriously I've noticed that Gnomes got the short end of the stick.
I think this has to do with the difference between how they are portrayed.
Gnomes are these small, high-pitched group of engineers that are small enough to be kicked long distances.
Also the pink hair probably doesn't help their case.
Goblins are a group of money-loving, environment-exploiting, bomb-making loonies, who if you tried to kick would probably blow your foot off.
Like it or not people relate to more to Goblin ideals than Gnomes.
Just look at the world we live and you'll see that "Goblins" are a big part of what our world is today. Industry, Greed, Corruption, Environmental pollution, a global market dedicated to one thing making money.
These aren't good things (in many peoples minds) which is why Goblins are fiercely hated by some people but at least no-one makes punting jokes about them.

I was wondering about others' opinions of the future of the two technological powerhouses of Azeroth.

If we ever do get a South seas expansion, I would love to see Gnomes and Goblins at the forefront of it. Gnome and Goblin fleets battling against the each other (or a common enemy preferably) a return to Kezan and maybe Gnomes setting up a floating sea fortress. Gelbin and Gallywix team up to take out strong opponent (with the help of the heroes). The two races build underwater domes that allow the factions to set up bases while battling naga (maybe).
Just a few ideas I'd like to see that involve the Gnomes and Goblins.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Honestly, I have no idea why Goblins get more character depth than Gnomes do. Gnomes are a naturally curious, bright race that occasionally gets in over its head but usually tries to own their own problems. That sounds like a pretty apt description of the advancement of human society to me, it's just another side of the same coin as Goblins.

I mean, seriously, what race in Warcraft shut everyone else out from their problems, not because they were too proud, or because they were too xenophobic, but because they literally thought, "our allies have enough to deal with - we can't burden them with this?"

That's pretty hardcore.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Gelbin wasn't a joke in his short story. Id like to see more gnome story like that was presented. Infact the short story showed the gnomes as a very reserved race that hide any doubts, fears or anger under a appearance of positivity and cheerfulness. And in a very gnome way, for practical reasons.
Edited by Trook on 5/10/2013 3:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Gelbin wasn't a joke in his short story. Id like to see more gnome story like that was presented. Infact the short story showed the gnomes as a very reserved race that hide any doubts, fears or anger under a appearance of positivity and cheerfulness. And in a very gnome way, for practical reasons.

Exactly. I want the Gnomes like Mekkatorque was in his short story.

Hell, they can still be the comedic race too. You don't have to be ridiculously stupid and slapstick to be funny.
Edited by Vergell on 5/10/2013 4:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Just remembered a question i was thinking about the other day.
Are there any high ranking Gnomes or Goblins that are in charge of a multiracial force?
eg. a Gnome commander that commands Gnomes, Dwarf and Human soldiers?

I can't think of any.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Leading? I don't think so...

Although I would assume Wilfred Fizzlebang has a decently high ranking in the Argent Crusade, being "Grand Warlock" and all.

Although he 100% plays to the stupid trope, so he doesn't exactly count imo.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Yall need to get the Dark Riders graphic novel that just came out one of the characters was a bad !@# gnome rogue named Brink. He was also one of the SI:7 rogues that went with Varian to kill Moria in The Shattering and has his own action figure.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
I"d love to see the gnomes get involved.

Thus far them,worgen,undead,goblins haven't done much in terms of the races. I wouldn't be surprised if goblin leader guy who isn't in game atm is a boss in siege of org. Whats going to explode the forums is when sylvanas gets involved
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Yall need to get the Dark Riders graphic novel that just came out one of the characters was a bad !@# gnome rogue named Brink. He was also one of the SI:7 rogues that went with Varian to kill Moria in The Shattering and has his own action figure.

I've read it, but again, he's in the comic. And he's never seen again after his individual storyline.

I don't even think they have him in the actual game.
Edited by Vergell on 5/10/2013 5:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I love Gnomes, don't get me wrong.

However, the only development they can really receive is recapturing Gnomeregan, and Blizz is dead set against that. They don't know what they can do for the Gnomes other than Gnomeregan.

Honestly, I feel like Blizzard needs to just get rid of the stupid dungeon, rehaul Gnomeregan into a city, create an exit to the mountains to have a vehicle depot for the Alliance and add a tram to and from Ironforge and Stormwind. I know the city is fairy close to Ironforge, but who cares? It's a fantasy world with multiple races, cities are going to be close to one another.

They should also make Bilgewater Harbour an actual functioning city unless they want to add in the Undermine, which I'd prefer.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
After Cataclysm Gnomeregan is essentially very nearly fully recovered.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I think that the Gnomes are among the races that would benefit most from a direct model revisioning. Sure, they're not going to do the 360 I'd like, but if they were to slant them away from the misproportioned chibi-dolls they are now, maybe they'd have some hope at being taken seriously once and a while.

Goblins are zany, sure, but they can be out and out DARK when the situation calls for it. There was nothing comedic about the Goblins aiding Deathwing, for instance. And honestly the gnomes deserve as much of a chance at being taken earnestly every now and again.

So yes, comedy is fine, but no race should be damned to that roll in every occasion, and really, the Gnomes have just as much to take seriously as anyone.

Betrayed from within, lost their homeland, and had a massive portion of their population warped into crazed monsters. Lordaeron, Quel'thalas, Gilneas, AND Gnomeregan ALL qualify. Forget the silly character design and technology, Modern Gnomish history is founded on tragedy. Yet all we ever see of them is comedy, wackiness, and a total aversion to playing the dramatic straight man.

Yes, they're short. Yes, they're into what many see as a genre defying level of technology that's unreliable to the point where it hasn't eclipsed everything else and dissolved our swords and sorcery setting. But any given Gnome could potentially say they watched their loved ones convulse and die in a radioactive cloud just because they couldn't get out fast enough.

If THAT isn't grounds for knock off the jokes long enough to be transcend the "wacky short joke race" type casting, then I don't know what is.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Precisely. I make most of your points, although probably not as eloquently as you have, in the video.

Kudos.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I wonder what removing the curse of flesh would do to leper gnomes, would it remove their leprosy?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Blizzard hates gnomes. They were begrudgingly created and added in as a playable race because the developers felt that the game needed a token "cute, funny" race -- to appease the players who like playing those types of characters. Just like with worgen and draenei, don't expect the gnomes to amount to anything ever.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]