Need Help Please With Lightning

96 Draenei Death Knight
At the risk of sounding stupid, I don't understand how the Call Lightning ability is supposed to work. Whenever I use it on my Wild Hatchlings it seems as though it damages my pets when it strikes them as well. I have read the little explanation for it over and over and I need someone to explain to me how it works, what am I missing?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I run a call lightning team, so hopefully I explain this right lol!

Call Lightning is a double-edged sword, as it can hurt you as much as it hurts your opponent. Right now, the only things that will negate that extra damage from Call Lightning is Shell Shield/Stoneskin (they prevent a certain amount of damage, and since call lightning's hit is a seperate attack that doesn't hit for a whole lot, it's generally negated by the damage prevention of those two abilities), and/or using an Elemental Pet (Elementals ignore weather effects, so your opponents hit wil ldo it's normal damage, but the extra damage from call lightning won't hit)

My Call Lightning Team consists of Sunreaver Micro Sentry, Fel Flame, and Enchanted Broom. I usually start the round by using the micro sentry's shield, because as a non-elemental, he is suseptible to damage from Call Lightning, and I want to minimize that as much as possible. Also, a lot of other players who use weather will generally cast it on the first turn, so I can change that next turn =P

Depending on who I'm facing, I'll bring in my Fel Flame (H/H breed so he's a bit more tanky), dot the opponent with both dots and possibly Conflagrate if my opponent doesn't seem to be dying fast enough. If there's a beast or low health pool pet on the team, I bring in the broom and use his multi-hit attack or wind-up ability to bring him down quickly, while using the sweep to control what pet is brought into the field.

Dots and multi-hits synergize well with call lightning, but like I said, if your opponent uses that same method, you run the risk of jeapordizing your own team (unless you use things that can negate the call lightning).

I hope that makes sense....I may not be really good at explaining it =/
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Thank you very much for your helpful response, I really appreciate it.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
I occasionally run one as well. I'll start with a Tranquil Yeti. Supercharge - CL then switch to something that "drops". Chicken, Darkmoon Monkey, or Squirrel. I'll drop and swap. The drops continue even after you swap.

It doesn't always win but it's more fun than running FoTM comps.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
On the downside, ele pets take no damage from this (due to racial) while still deal the extra damage, which is why buffin has his fel flame. Run into a comp with a shield or 2+ ele, and it makes everything a lot more difficult
Reply Quote
96 Draenei Death Knight
I thank all of you for your help with this. I was embarassed to ask but I am glad I finally did.
Oh and don't even get me started on that Darkmoon Monkey, curse you Fezwick!
Edited by Charvae on 5/15/2013 10:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
I thank all of you for your help with this. I was embarassed to ask but I am glad I finally did.
Oh and don't even get me started on that Darkmoon Monkey, curse you Fezwick!

It's surprising how nice people are to posters like you who ask politely. ;)

Regarding Fezwick, just kill him while he's in the back row by starting with Lil' XT against the Eye, using its rest move and then the AoE. Switch to Lil' Rag to take out the tonk, then finish with your leveller.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
This one time when fighting the ....umm....actually I can't remember which tamer it was....

Anyway, the tamer's pet put up Call Lightning....
I had XT out, with "Heartbroken" which was hit and triggered.
Then hit the Tantrum.

All I can say, if that happens, there is no force on EARTH to stop XT (Well, I guess a good nuke to kill it would do the trick)

XT didn't even get the full 3 rounds and the fight was over......problem was, he killed all 3 pets on one round so I didn't get the credit for the win.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
......problem was, he killed all 3 pets on one round so I didn't get the credit for the win.

What an infuriating bug - I'd never heard of that one.

He's fun against Grizzle too.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
As a side note, Jade Oozeling is a really sick pet to use with Call Lightning.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter

He's fun against Grizzle too.

Haven't tried him with Grizzle, but the Mech Gnome is PERFECT for Grizzle.
Turret, punch X 3, Turret (By this time he's hibernating) Hit repair, 3 rounds he pounces you, you repair, turret then punch and by this time you're on the mecho-peep thing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]