Frustrated in PvP

90 Undead Warrior
Hi. Just feeling really frustrated lately in pvp. It seems like most players are miles ahead of me in terms of their knowledge of classes ability use, combos/mechanics etc. They always seem to have something else up their sleeves, while I struggle to barely get by. The only reason, it seems, that I'm getting kills nowadays is because my enemy has less gear than me. It feels really discouraging putting 6 - 8+ hours per day into trying to learn pvp with little yield.

I dread any time I have to face any ranged classes or healers in arena. They became very little fun once I got to around 1300-1500 elo, where, 100% of the time, warriors are the kill target of everyone and their dogs. It feels super lame having to pop all defensives, leaping, intervening away, doing little to no damage, then still dying within the first minute or two of an arena, and then having your arena partner/mates say you're !@#$ because you did no damage. Teams with rogue mass stealth openers are the worst. Fighting anyone with roots makes combat feel so sticky, and it pisses me off that I cannot control other players the way they can control me.

I hate only being able to go prot in rbg's, and I dislike that no one gives me anything to do but "Go BS with heals. If you die go sit farm for the rest of the game unless an opportunity at BS arises".

I really dislike not being able to heal myself to full hp or not having a bubble that saves me like most other classes do. I dislike the extreme clunkiness of having to use shields, which cuts our damage a bunch, for defensives in arms and fury.

-breathe in-

-breathe out-

Okay. Sorry for all the QQ. What I'd like to ask is how long did it take you to become skilled/good at pvp? I've played wow for probably just under a year now, with maybe 3-4 of those months doing warrior pvp.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
GLM
less than 1 mth..
but my experience may not apply for u as I was an old time player and rejoined 5 mths ago
so I have some basic idea on how to play as a warrior.

it is normal to be struggle a bit at the beginning and get frustrated. u need to be patient and trying to improve all the time. Nowadays no decent warrior clip to learn from but u still can learn a lot by looking at online guide and forum here. Or u may just ask in here for help.

I think the most important thing is you feel comfortable with your keys and setup marco to make thing simplier for u...once u get used to it and know more about how to react in each situation, u will be fine and pvp is much more enjoyable

You are using fury build which is not very popular in pvp and you need to be very well geared to be effective. try arms out and i am sure u will feel better...at least could see some big number damages..
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I agree with ^

I also agree with you as well.

the time i spend in Bgs in 8 sec root effects is ridiculous and it always feels like im the slowest moving player WTb 15% MS b.c hamstring is trash
Reply Quote
91 Worgen Warrior
It takes a while, but by looking at your toon, you're reasonably geared so I must ask this:
Have you pvp'd with any other classes?

Levelling an alt and pvping with it and learning its mechanics will teach you more than just fighting that class over and over or reading a guide on how to duel them.

I suggest you give it a try and you will see that almost all classes have different strong points and weaknesses and you learn how you can fight their mechanics and it will make you a much better warrior.

Take a Ret paladin for example. They are somewhat similar to wars, but they have immunity bubble, good self heals, okay CC and are impossible to root. When you first play one you might think 'this is awesome! No weaknesses!' But then you realize you have no real way to break fears, you have no real gap closer to make up for your immunity to snares/roots, half your abilities aren't usable during silences, you have poor defensively CDs (yes bubble is not that great) and you have to sacrifice a lot of damage to heal yourself.

I find warriors to be one of the most defensive classes, one of the hardest to CC if talented for it (we have a few ways out of roots, can reflect casted CC, zerker for fear, heroic leap to LoS incoming CC, Bladestorm to avoid incoming CC and to break disarms/roots, etc) we can also put out good pressure even without CDs and we have reasonable utility.

Btw, I like the way you QQ. You don't blame the broken class and other OP classes etc, like so many of the whiners that come here.
Rock on and I suggest you level a few classes if you haven't starting with the ones you have the hardest time with (or the ones that look the most fun!)
Reply Quote
91 Worgen Warrior
05/16/2013 10:41 AMPosted by Ex
Btw, I like the way you QQ. You don't blame the broken class and other OP classes etc, like so many of the whiners that come here.

You sure talk big for a Warrior that has clearly done it all.

You sure misunderstood the tone of my post for someone has done it all (almost)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Keep at it. I felt very frustrated when I first started playing my warrior but now he is my favorite out of my mage and rogue. He has great burst, good sustained damage and insane mobility IMO plus decent defenses. I LOVE being practically immune to fear. I'm a priests worst nightmare. The only time this guy iis a little squishy is when I get caught out of defensive stance in a burst but that's my own fault. Come 5.3 we'll be even harder to kill.

One of the biggest things that I notice when dueling or fighting other warriors is that they don't kite. You NEED to be able to kite another melee classes cds. Piercing Howl is amazing for this. Between disarm, slows and stuns, a bursting dk, warrior, paladin can be greatly neutralized. This is also where your self heal, 2nd wind, comes into play and really shines. Keep spell reflect and your fear for counters and keep aggressive on casters.

As you stated in the first post, you don't have much experience and consequently may not now all the other classes abilities and how to counter them. Learn as much as you can. Duel every class and the knowledge you gain will help you 10x more then any macro.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
We're underdogs ATM, But Stick with it.
Warriors are a engaging class that takes time to master but we all play them even when were nerfed to worthlessness cuz frostbolts and rainbows just aint our style.
We're the class that needs to stay on our toes and try to think one or two steps ahead in a fight. The biggest problem i see with freasher warriors is they Blow Through CDs with out any reason which other classes Will punsh you for this, Its almost ESP after you get it. You really need to learn other classes defensive and offensive skills and judge whens the best time to use what you have to counter. But remember Even if you do this flawless most of the time, your still going to get ROfL stomped from time to time and more so others.
I wish i could go on and on but sadly my time is limited these days, it does seem thats theres alot of warriors out in the forums that try to help, but sadly most are worthless boneheaded trolls looking for forum fame.
Reply Quote
I would pay money to watch one of Blizzard's devs PvPing solo as a warrior just to see if they swear as much as I do.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
I would pay money to watch one of Blizzard's devs PvPing solo as a warrior just to see if they swear as much as I do.

Agreed. If I have 3 healers on me seems like I do a bunch. But as of solo PvP. I get whopped. 3/10 times.
Reply Quote
91 Worgen Warrior
One other suggestion I'd make is to gem for resilience over power. Probably not worth it because we are so close to 5.3 and the gems are getting nerfed but if you find you are dying quickly then give resil a try.

Also try to run LFR for a pve weapon to put in your main hand. It will increase your damage considerably because the power on both your weapons doesn't stack (the resil does though)
It will also give you more stam which of course benefits SW and RC.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Thank you all very much for your input

You are using fury build which is not very popular in pvp and you need to be very well geared to be effective. try arms out and i am sure u will feel better...at least could see some big number damages..

I played arms from 1-90 and only recently have I made the (probably) permanent change to fury. I can't really say what it is, maybe its just because it's new, but I enjoy it more than arms.

It takes a while, but by looking at your toon, you're reasonably geared so I must ask this:
Have you pvp'd with any other classes? ......

No. Not really. I've leveled a handful of alts to around 40~50. I played in Cata for like 3 months and leveled a paladin to 75ish (which I donated to my brother), and a priest to 85, although I remember very little of that time. I also currently have a level 87 Mistweaver which I'm kind of excited to get to 90. I should actually hurry up on that as MW's are my most dreaded enemy in arena and I cannot kill one. As you said, I may have to try leveling a number of classes as I understand very little of their capabilities.

Rock on and I suggest you level a few classes if you haven't starting with the ones you have the hardest time with (or the ones that look the most fun!)

Thanks.

in the first post, you don't have much experience and consequently may not now all the other classes abilities and how to counter them. Learn as much as you can. Duel every class and the knowledge you gain will help you 10x more then any macro.

I haven't dueled anybody seriously except for my brother's lock and DK on occasion. I was originally put off from it because some people on the forums said the game wasn't balanced around 1v1 and that it was too broken to help in anyway besides for funsies. I may have to start trying that. Actually, dueling rogues would probably help me a ton for learning a bit about rogue openers.

One other suggestion I'd make is to gem for resilience over power. Probably not worth it because we are so close to 5.3 and the gems are getting nerfed but if you find you are dying quickly then give resil a try.

Also try to run LFR for a pve weapon to put in your main hand. It will increase your damage considerably because the power on both your weapons doesn't stack (the resil does though)
It will also give you more stam which of course benefits SW and RC.

Yea, I used to gem resil but I went power (and now a bit of crit for fury) just because my brother said I needed to have everything into killing power when doing 2's with his Hpally. Although now we don't do 2's that often, and I'm usually just finding randoms to cap, so I will probably swap to resil/crit gems if they aren't too expensive.

About the LFR thing: Is the LFR item in mainhand better than having two tyrannical 2her's? I also don't really know where/how to get a LFR 2h

._.

Anyways, again, thank you all for your input, I'm actually feeling better about pvping.
Reply Quote
91 Worgen Warrior
You want the weapon with the highest weapon damage in your mainhand of course but a looking for raid weapon is ilvl 502 I believe so it will be better than the tyrannical.

When patch 5.3 hits, there won't be any resilience on the PVP weapons and you won't be getting the benefit of power from both weapons. So you will want a pve weapon along with your tyrannical.

I think you are a blacksmith, if you are, you can do the island of thunder dailies and they will lead you to a quest that lets you craft ilvl 502 weapons (it takes a month to get the weapon)
Otherwise you can buy them on the auction house for 15-20k.

In 5.3 you will be able to upgrade PVE weapons as well (although the ilvl will be capped in bgs and arena at 496) so for world PVP that will be nice and the extra stat compared to the PVP weapon will make a PVE weapon in one hand optimal.

Also glad to see you are doing fury PVP. There's still a stigma about it that remains from previous expansions where arms was clearly better for PVP, but with the changes in mop, fury is every bit as good.
/high five
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Fury FTW

And yeah, I've done the Island of thunder daily and already sold a tier 2 weap, and now have 17 lighting ingots saved up. I didn't make myself a weapon because it looks like none of the 2hers have any crit on them, should I make one anyways? Or should I be concerned with other stats?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior

Fury is absolutely not viable in PvP.

The blind leading the blind is never a good thing.

It is at the same level as Arms. Look around the forums, there are quite the number of high rated fury warriors lurking about. Ezyo, Rufin, and a few others that escape my mind atm. Have you even tried fury with proper gear in PvP? It is more gear reliant than arms, but that doesn't make it any worse.
Edited by Sourcedecay on 5/16/2013 1:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Well my apologies that you don't like fury pvp. No need to get worked up about it. And sorry, I thought Rufin was a bit higher rated.

But also:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malganis/Ezyo/pvp#3v3

My gear is much better than yours.

I don't think you really understood what I said when I said "fury is more gear reliant than arms".
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Okay, this is the part where I take a step back and realize you're just trying to egg me on. Well, anyways, thanks once more everyone for your support, have a nice day.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]