Mastery or Crit for resto shaman?

100 Troll Shaman
I am currently raiding 10man and am mainly wondering what stats would benefit me more. Of course there's aoe healing and tank healing involved in 10man. I've been reforging into crit mostly for a while but I'm wondering if mastery would get more healing out.
I've looked at other resto shamans, read up on a few guides and I'm still not sure which stat I should be going with more. Any advice?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I'm no expert on shamans. But I think you'd benefit most by just reviewing your raid team. How much damage does your raid take, how often are you heal sniped? etc.

Basically, how often would you get the most out of mastery. If it's often, roll mastery. I think it's better in theory, but a lot of it depends on the content you are running and likely your healing composition/competition.

ie, HM progression I would think mastery reallly pulls far ahead. But in a lot of normal modes, you're unlikely to truly see which is better.
Edited by Tonydanza on 5/17/2013 7:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
But in a lot of normal modes, you're unlikely to truly see which is better.

I agree, I've played around with mastery a little and whether I do that or go straight crit I usually pull a lot of heals. I'm just honestly unsure if there's a better stat to go with.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
zZq
If you're running with a pally or disc, you'll likely get more mileage out of crit. Crit can also help with regen, and the various procs. If you're running with less absorbs, or your raid team takes a lot of damage, mastery would likely be better.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Haste is the best throughput increase at your ilvl and with the legendary meta which you have. Your heals are more likely to do effective healing because they land faster, almost all your healing is periodic so it gains ticks, your healing rain will have slightly higher uptime, you'll have to cancel casts less often for boss mechanics, and since the legendary meta is PPM you'll get refunded about 1/6th of your haste as "spirit" via clearcasting.

5199 Haste as goblin is another riptide tick.
7116 Haste as goblin is another HR tick, but will also result in getting another HST most likely due to latency issue.

Since you have 519 gear, I would probably recommend going for the riptide one immediately. Definitely the riptide one immediately. The healing rain one probably isn't worth it yet, but once you get 2pc it'll be worth it for the extra HST tick assuming you get the 11th tick at your latency.

Looking at your gear/reforging... you should be able to reach about 6.4k haste without giving up any spirit or int. So all you need is ~2.5-3 gems, or 1-2 items with better itemization. You are skipping 2 yellow gem socket bonuses anyways.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
Thank you so much Pitkanen. Your input really helped and I will definitely, definitely try that out. <3

Also,
05/17/2013 09:17 AMPosted by Drownedelf
If you're running with a pally or disc, you'll likely get more mileage out of crit.

I am running with a hpally and disc exactly :))
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Who isn't running with a hpal and a disc..
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
for progression mastery will serve you better, helps cover mistakes. Farm crit/haste are better.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Priest
Crit. Get the 5199 haste point and then crit. the additional ticks on your healing stream totem are subject to latency and are exceptionally unreliable.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Im healing with Holypal i have 50% mastery 3800 Haste for the caps totem(if you dont have any problem with ur latency) And everything else is goign crit i have 19% crit Im only 512 ilvl But crit is really good for 10 man I say mastery is much better in 25 man
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Crit > Mastery in my opinion.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
HC
Depends on your playstyle and what you're comfortable with. I personally prefer mastery, but sometimes have gone haste and toyed with crit. Any stat for restoration shamans can work. If you're running with a Holy Paladin/Disc priest no stat will really help you, I would personally prefer to act as a safety net and be able to top people off much faster with mastery since the only thing that will break through all the absorbs/steady healing is burst damage.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I am running with a hpally and disc exactly :))

3-healing most 10man content, your Mastery will be less often of use than if you were 2-healing (especially with your other healers being Disc & pally, as others have said). My guild 3-heals 10man content; myself, a holy priest and a Disc.

Having said that, it's also true that *any* time your Mastery is of use is an incredibly important time to be useful ;)

I run Haste, though. My reforging's a bit of a mess atm, but I should be able to grab the HR breakpoint either by gemming (which will sacrifice a bit of Spirit... I can afford it, myself, and my co-healers are rolling in mana too so I feel for the moment I can skimp on all the Spirit I've been trying to stack) or with maybe one more upgrade.
Edited by Ellarix on 5/19/2013 4:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
If your raid is low on health alot then Mastery
If mana issues then crit will help some
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]