Challenge Mode Dungeons

100 Pandaren Monk
I know there are people who want to do these.
Last night I formed a group for the first time, went into and Jade Serpent and got Silver.
It was a little messy but it was SO much fun.
I didn't run with guild mates or people whom I knew were "LEET", I just ran with people who wanted to go.
Someone once told me that you don't just walk in and do them... which is sort of true, but there really is nothing stopping almost anyone from getting at least the mount for 9/9 silver.

If you are interested in running challenge modes, pst me and or /join latenight channel and lets make it happen.
There is a lot of info out there to get you started on what to do and how to do it. Try a Google search for your class/spec/challenge modes.

Tonight the plan is Stormstout Brewery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLv7JZMnkdNC-2Y9IYZrpGFQtbwm7eAb4b&feature=player_embedded&v=vD-lCpGUO8I

***Edited***
After running SB on heroic solo all day I learned that in the first room, there are mobs that are buffing the hozen. The buff in heroic is +10K damage addtl. The buff is 45K in challenge mode. O.o
Aqua Dancers - http://www.wowhead.com/npc=56865
and
Fiery Tricksters - http://www.wowhead.com/npc=56867

These mobs will disappear with a taunt or ANY damage, even 1 damage. Doing so will reduce the 45K additional damage buff and Status debuff they apply. It will also reduce their health by half. Before we went through the door, we spent 2 seconds killing the Aqua Dancers. This prevents the tank from taking the 50% speed debuff. The DPS can take care of the fiery tricksters, but a macro doesn't work. There are 6-8 in the room but only three are applying the buff to the hozen.

On the Last boss, I soaked up 2 beams, we had 5 beams going when we killed him. Don't bother trying to kill the adds. Use all your burns. We had our healer switch so we went 4 DPS 1 Tank.

Good luck in there folks, hopefully our learned lessons help ease the pain in this typically "brutal" instance.
Edited by Thondup on 5/20/2013 4:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
You need maor achievement points!

I know a few people who are looking to do some I will send them your way.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Thanks Pook.
I've never been an achievement hunter.
In fact every time I get one and it links to guild I usually say "Oops".
I have some good old ones and feats of strength I'm happy with although I should have more that aren't showing like Hakkar and Rags and stuff. :)
I've also got my Disc who will be looking for runs too.

It's very humbling in there when your gear isn't helping you, to see your DPS go from 100K to 60K instantly.
It's teaching me to squeeze every ounce of play out, whether it's using weak auras to tell me when trinkets proc or stacking vengance intentionally to boost my damage, I've learned a lot about this game doing these runs.
I must say, it's also a great way to earn valor if you're tired of the LFR noobs and idiocy.
It's a challange, you get more valor and if it's the daily, you get almost 200 valor for one dungeon.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Aftermath Challenge mode guides:
http://www.youtube.com/user/theyanger

Nerthfu Challenge mode guides and interview:
http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/02/28/challenge-mode-whiz-kids-spill-their-strategies/

There is good stuff in many of these, and if you look around the net there are MANY strategies to use to speed up times. I saw a whole group go Engineer so they could ALL have stealth every 3 mins instead of 10.

Last night was tough having someone afk most of our first run while they were pulling a fat 18K DPS.
Please come ready to play... please.
I will replace people because you know, AFK.....
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
After 2 weeks, not pro but still fun.
4 silver
4 bronze

If you think you're ready to run some PST me in game.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
4/9 gold now.
There have been some fun runs and lots of learning.

-Tips for Scholomance-

*Everyone in your group can farm the Polymorphic Acid Vial on normal mode in less than 5 minutes, and it will help you out on the last boss. Everyone run the instance solo on normal mode and kill the professor. Use this potion after you invis pot through the room of bored students, just before you kill Gandling.

**In order to get our kill count... We pulled one risen guard with the first boss. This also helps make the fight a little easier since you have more room to move from Frigid Grasp on that side you pulled him from. The vengance smoothing from the adds damage will keep your tank DPS up and it will make the later work of deciding which mobs to pull easier as you'll see next. We opted to pull the whole room of Krastinov Carvers and Aboms. Killing the meat grafts first (for those who were single target DPS) made the carvers go down fast. I feel they are easier to kill, faster to pull and less risky than trying to kill one pack of bored students. After this you can kill the last two bosses and be done. If you don't kill that first risen guard, you will be one kill short, and have to kill 8 bored students instead... not a fun pull or pack.

***Jandice Barov - It's all about the hair girl and Grey is in this season!!! Make sure the hair is right... then check the belt. If the belt is grey, target her, and if the gem is grey, NUKE. I find it helps a lot to get my camera zoomed in to just behind me. Killing the wrong adds causes a lot of party damage so try to avoid this. Again, here tanks can take advantage of Wonderous Rapidity by soaking 2-3 hits to build some vengance. Death Knights can Dark Sim Wonderous Rapidity for some heavy damage.

**** For Gandling... He's easy for the most part. I used transcendance to escape the harsh lesson. Our mage used Alter Time. If you have another similar spell, take advantage of it. When Gandling casts Rise!, everyone should be AOEing. The mobs he summons will explode within 8 seconds if you don't kill them. Rise! is a 30 second channelled cast. The only real other issue is for the tank to take note when the healer gets their harsh lesson and gets summoned away.

**Use Bloodlust on the first and last boss. We noted issues using it on Voss in that we never left combat at the end of the fight. We almost killed her in phase one. She didn't get to finish casting the dark flame spell in phase three and we believe that was part of the issue. We lost a shot at gold because ot it.**

*edit* I forgot to mention this trick but you can use it 5 times in this instance.... Your group may not be able to use DPS potions during some fights because of invis pot requirements, but it doesn't stop them from pre-potting and starting the potion cooldown before entering combat.
Have your tank count down boss pulls so the group can pre-pot.
If you don't need an invis pot right away, you can get 2 damage pots per boss.

TL:DR - No it's not, not if you want gold.
Edited by Thondup on 6/11/2013 4:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
PTR notes 5.4
Dungeons

Players who obtain a realm-best time in a Challenge Mode dungeon (group must contain at least 3 people from the same realm to qualify) will receive a temporary title specific to each dungeon (e.g. Siegebreaker for Siege of Niuzao temple, Darkmaster for Scholomance, etc.). This title will persist for as long as a player retains the top time on the realm. Holding a realm-best time at any point will also confer a permanent Feat of Strength to record the accomplishment.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Woot 6/9!

If there are any tanks with patience, I have two healers I want to start running these with.
A disc and a druid.
PST me in game or add my battletag.

illiquipt#1795
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Your doing such a great job with this Mourn! Thanks for getting all of this going for people and allowing many to get their feet wet with challenge modes (myself included) Great leadership talking people through, making it much less stressful but also productive! Keep it up sir :D!
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Thanks Kru.
These challenge modes have been the most fun I've had in PVE since SSC/TK.
I'm 8/9 and hopefully finishing tonight.
After that Not Viable will work on that guild gold acheivement.

It's been a lot of fun meeting new players from other servers but mostly from KT.
There are lots of good players out there still.
Running with new players so often in a demanding environment, reminds me of vanilla LNR.
Reading combat logs, figuring out encounters and learning the game by playing it instead of reading about it.
Good times buddy, good times.

I am still looking to run these for better times and to help others get mounts and transmogs so if you think you are up to it, PST me in game for runs after 11 PM server.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
9/9 !
Thank you everyone.

If you want tips or to try a run, PST me and we will talk about it. These Challenge modes are a lot of fun. Ask anyone on the leaderboards in our groups.
Edited by Thondup on 7/30/2013 10:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
you still doing challenge modes ? resto / ele shammy if you are RiD scaredy#1900 message me if you can help me out
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]