Driving AH prices down...

(Locked)

90 Undead Death Knight
Anyone else enjoy driving AH prices down by posting dozens of items (gems, inscriptions, ore, herbs, etc) 5-10 gold below the current market value?

Someone on my server will buy up all the available gems (selling for 25 to 50 gold each) and then repost them all for 250 gold each... since they "cornered" the market, they are giddy with the thought of pulling in a 300-400% profit...

Then I come along and repost another 20 or 30 gems for 200g each...

None of our gems sell over the 48 hours, but others post similar gems for way less and someone else beats their price and so on and so on until the price again hovers around 25-50g each)... at which point I post three or four at that price and sell them until some one else comes along and buys them all out again... at which point I repeat the process...

Its like a mini game and I really really enjoy it. Anyone else?
90 Undead Death Knight
I always loved when I went to Ah something and I simply wanted to sell it for a quick turn around. I put the price plenty low... the people who posted higher will whisper me and berate me for doing so. Its kinda humorous.

HAHAH that happens to me daily... some AH baron will message me and tell me I am ruining the economy or they tell me they'll report me...

My position is that nothing in this game should be priced out of the reach of the average player unless it is something SUPER rare... there are few items that fit that bill though...
90 Night Elf Druid
05/08/2013 09:45 AMPosted by Grimmoire

That's the reason for the extremely high mark ups.

You may think yourself exceedingly clever or witty for undercutting AH powerusers, but these people know what they're doing, and your little stunts are things that occur all the time, and are factored for accordingly. In addition to having dozens, if not hundreds of irons in the fire, they've also got the capital to beat you in the long run every time.
90 Undead Death Knight
05/08/2013 09:57 AMPosted by Jathaz

You may think yourself exceedingly clever or witty for undercutting AH powerusers, but these people know what they're doing, and your little stunts are things that occur all the time, and are factored for accordingly. In addition to having dozens, if not hundreds of irons in the fire, they've also got the capital to beat you in the long run every time.

Doubtful...

I have four dual gathering toons and four dual crafting toons. Whatever they can do, I can do equally as well if not better. I'm ok if they still make profits in areas I'm not covering. I just enjoy driving ah prices down on a daily basis... I have enough capital and enough resources to do this all day long. Again... I enjoy doing it as much as they enjoy being "ah power users" so we all win :)
90 Night Elf Priest
Makes me happy. I horde personal raid mats, so whenever I see low prices I buy buy buy.

=)
90 Night Elf Druid
Anyone else enjoy driving AH prices down by posting dozens of items (gems, inscriptions, ore, herbs, etc) 5-10 gold below the current market value?

Idk I think there are more direct ways to irritate people then AH gaming.

Like moving a boss for no reason while tanking :)
100 Draenei Priest
I look for the 2 most expensive cuts (above 100 gold) per color on the AH. And cut a gem for each and mark it down 20%

On some days that I'm on a lot, I replenish certain cuts fairly quickly while seeing the same 10 gems from the same person just languish.

Why would anyone cut 10 of the same gem? It locks you in.
100 Blood Elf Mage
Well. It would take a lot of dedication for a single person to drive the prices of raw mats down on my server... It's very high pop and we have people who play the AH and buy out the herbs and ore literally 24/7. Cheaply priced mats don't stay up long at all, they get bought out by the same people running addons or AH bots within seconds or minutes. For example, you can post 20 stacks of herbs 5g below the current AH buyout price and they will literally sell as they're being posted.

It's insane lol.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
05/08/2013 09:57 AMPosted by Jathaz

Here's a newsflash: We don't all want to be AH tycoons and don't care about who we undercut. If they want to buy up our stock and flip it, they can go ahead and do it - just because I don't get X gold instead of the Y gold I got for it doesn't mean I didn't profit from my sale.
90 Night Elf Druid
05/08/2013 10:01 AMPosted by Grimmoire
Whatever they can do, I can do equally as well if not better.

Not unless you become one of them as well. Or are on a dead server.

We're talking about people that put some Eve station traders to shame. You could be a double gatherer Druid with Forager's Gloves and still get out paced in profit making. Once you get into pissing matches with them, you join them in spreadsheetville and this stops being a game.

Petty little pot shots here and there for !@#$s and giggles is fine, but the moment you start thinking you can make a serious effect on the market with such antics is the beginning of the end of a lot of useful hours and days played.
90 Undead Death Knight
Well. It would take a lot of dedication for a single person to drive the prices of raw mats down on my server... It's very high pop and we have people who play the AH and buy out the herbs and ore literally 24/7. Cheaply priced mats don't stay up long at all, they get bought out by the same people running addons or AH bots within seconds or minutes. For example, you can post 20 stacks of herbs 5g below the current AH buyout price and they will literally sell as they're being posted.

It's insane lol.

I suppose in situations like that, where someone is buying up mats super fast (at least mats that are 5 to 10g below AH buyout price its still win/win... I sell my stuff, you buy my stuff to repost, I sell you more of my stuff ad infinitum... everyone wins... On my server at least, I can stay way ahead of the ah nuts...

and I cut whatever I have excess mats for in Jewelcrafting... I collect upwards of 1000 ore a day just by gathering while I do dailies so each night I cut whatever I want and post on the AH... driving prices down to reasonable levels... i do it every night and every morning I do it all again.
90 Undead Death Knight
Petty little pot shots here and there for !@#$s and giggles is fine, but the moment you start thinking you can make a serious effect on the market with such antics is the beginning of the end of a lot of useful hours and days played

All i want is to drive prices down and I succeed... at least on my server. Do I do it to every item on the AH? Not even close, but I do it often enough that prices aren't outrageous on this server most of the time... I'm not kidding myself into thinking I am changing the economy... but I do enjoy how i approach the game.
Edited by Grimmoire on 5/8/2013 10:22 AM PDT
90 Human Death Knight
I suppose in situations like that, where someone is buying up mats super fast (at least mats that are 5 to 10g below AH buyout price its still win/win... I sell my stuff, you buy my stuff to repost, I sell you more of my stuff ad infinitum... everyone wins... On my server at least, I can stay way ahead of the ah nuts...

and I cut whatever I have excess mats for in Jewelcrafting... I collect upwards of 1000 ore a day just by gathering while I do dailies so each night I cut whatever I want and post on the AH... driving prices down to reasonable levels... i do it every night and every morning I do it all again.

As a practical matter, you are likely over-imagining your personal impact.

Hard core auction house players use a variety of add-ons and keep themselves involved in a huge range of markets to minimize the impact of things like this. Yes, you can cause a particular player to be "less profitable" for a period of time in a particular good. But invariably, your negative impact is overwhelmed by the markets you *aren't* competing in. And, frankly, most people can't stick with it, as it is pretty boring to do.

Not saying you shouldn't keep at it. But I once had my day in the sun as an AH baron, and I can tell you bluntly that the kind of reposting you are talking about has a trivial impact on long-term profitability.
90 Dwarf Priest
I do enjoy it, but not because I've driven the market price down. Although, I'm not much of an AH player, really.

I enjoy it because I accomplished getting something I don't want out of my bags and got some gold in my pocket.
90 Human Death Knight
All i want is to drive prices down and I succeed... at least on my server. Do I do it to every item on the AH? Not even close, but I do it often enough that prices aren't outrageous on this server most of the time... I'm not kidding myself into thinking I am changing the economy... but I do enjoy how i approach the game.

Yeah, I hear you.

Now that I'm done with the AH, I like tossing up things for 'reasonable' prices in the hopes that average players will grab them.

The depressing truth is the #1 buyer of my reasonably priced items are AH barons who immediately repost them, lol.
100 Night Elf Druid
I only do it if there is obviously one guy with a lot of inventory that I want to make disappear. Bonus if he's one of the AH campers that re-list as soon as they see you have lower prices.

I'll put my stuff up for rock-bottom prices and he'll drop his price way down. They sell quickly so will less supply, there is more demand for mine... at better prices.

It's a risky maneuver and one that doesn't work on the chronically-overstocked glyph/gem/enchant guys, but I've done it a few times for single listers and it's worked wonders at getting the AH price back up where I want it.
90 Human Rogue
As a practical matter, you are likely over-imagining your personal impact.

Hard core auction house players use a variety of add-ons and keep themselves involved in a huge range of markets to minimize the impact of things like this. Yes, you can cause a particular player to be "less profitable" for a period of time in a particular good. But invariably, your negative impact is overwhelmed by the markets you *aren't* competing in. And, frankly, most people can't stick with it, as it is pretty boring to do.

Not saying you shouldn't keep at it. But I once had my day in the sun as an AH baron, and I can tell you bluntly that the kind of reposting you are talking about has a trivial impact on long-term profitability.

Pretty much this. People try it all the time on my server. Doesn't do anything to me at all.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]