New to PVP please help : )

90 Night Elf Rogue
Hey there,

I hit 90 yesterday, and I want to explore the PVP side of the game as I really haven't before. I've been doing lots of reading about rogues and pvp in general and did lots of BG's to 90 but I want more.
so a few questions:

1. What are some things you wish you had known starting out pvping.
Zaylen: Wish I knew how hard war could hit.
2. Where do you keybind your abilities (I am trying to adopt ESDF)?

3. What is the most effective opener for you?

4. What do you suggest as a good way to learn pvp?

5. Have any other usefull tips/tricks?

Thanks in advance guys.
Edited by Allerum on 5/10/2013 5:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Wish I knew how hard war could hit.

I use the F1 to F8 keys for my long CDs

Got 1-5 then Shift 1-5

r,f,t,g,b,v then shift r,f,t,g,v

then you got ctrl key too.. Set them to whatever you like. I put R and T as stuns and interrupts on all my chars. 3 and Gs are heals. Whatever you feel comfortable with, you'll adapt to them.

A standard opener for BGs (im Assassin btw) would be garrot > SnD > cheap shot > Mut > Rupture > Gouge. Wait for some energy to come back. Marked for death > Kidney shot > shadow blades + vendetta + trinket (macro for 1 key) > pew pew pew. If they trinket kidney shot, even better, you get to use blind on them now and restealth. Gouge as soon as kidney shot is about to wear off then disarm if they are melee.

Good way to learn pvp is by doing. World pvp and dog fights are great. There are no rules.

1. What are some things you wish you had known starting out pvping.

2. Where do you keybind your abilities (I am trying to adopt ESDF)?

3. What is the most effective opener for you?

4. What do you suggest as a good way to learn pvp?

5. Have any other usefull tips/tricks?

Thanks in advance guys.

But being a Rogue is not just about bursting down and killing someone. you need to control them and set them up for your team mates too. In AV rogues are excellent at defending and recapping bunkers and GYs, or disarming tanks when they're on Van. Use your stealth to your advantage, dont run with the rest of the bots, remember, you're special forces, not a digger. in WSG BoS is great for flag running, 9/10 times I can get the flag back to our base without any horde getting me.

You'll pick things up as you play more and start to learn new tricks. Watch other rogues, learn where you went wrong, try something else next time. You should hardly ever die as a rogue, if the fight is too tough, vanish and get out of there. come back and try something else.
Edited by Zaylen on 5/10/2013 5:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Thanks! I'm going to be playing sub, but still very helpful.
Edited by Allerum on 5/10/2013 5:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
As a new 90 rogue remember the first rule of being a rogue.

1. If you should encounter an enemy rogue in a bg you are to automatically target said rogue and try to kill him, after all there can be only one.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Wish I knew how hard war could hit.

I use the F1 to F8 keys for my long CDs

Try to keep your keybinds within reach, if you move your hand, there's a bigger possibility to screw yourself up. try f1-4... also try alt (any reachable letter) Shift works the same was as alt. You can use ctrl too but I find that one awkward to hit...

If you can, a gaming mouse can add some buttons to your game play. I have a razer naga and it has 12 side buttons on it, and 2 buttons by the clickers... It's a good investment in my opinion :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Add my battletag if you want to talk Kaysidious#1757
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
do you guys rebind "s" or in my case "d" and if so what to?
what buttons do you guys use for a spammable stealh?
also what macros help and what macros hurt?
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
do you guys rebind "s" or in my case "d" and if so what to?
what buttons do you guys use for a spammable stealh?
also what macros help and what macros hurt?

I dunno, i've never had a problem with F5 - F8. click down both mouse buttons to run for that second your hand is off, I jump a lot too. I dont rebind e,q, or s. I know some ppl do q and e but I use them to strafe. Shift E and Q I would use, but I dont really need anymore keybinds atm..

` is my stealth keybind and 1 is BoS. Have a macro to use your trinket and cast shadowdance at the same time. I don't really play sub, but Ive heard people say not to use shadow blades and shadow dance at the same time.

To make a macro just open your macros menu (/macro), and shift click the spell or item, it will automatically write it into the macro.

/use [trinket name]
/cast shadow dance
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Fairly new to Rogue myself buuuut...

If ESDF doesnt work, go back to WASD if you're more comfortable. Bind A and D to be strafe, and leave Q and E empty for potential.

Don't keybind past the 6 key when it comes to numbers unless you want to pretend you're a piano player.

Bartender 4 is great for setting up bars and the likes. Great for keybinding too. I use a button on my mouse for stealth. Use Shift and Alt as modifiers to get more keybinds without requiring additonal keys to press.

If you need to figure out working keybinds, experiment and see what works. Pairing an ability to a hotkey which shares the same first letter is great to remember... F for fan of knives, E for Evasion ... stuff like that (Not what I use personally though)

PVP will be rough while you're learning, and until you get some gear. Pay attention to the different classes and find what works or what doesnt. There's an excellent sub PVP sticky on this very forum which you can find, and I suggest reading it.

Good luck.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for all the helpful input.

I've done tons of reading and at this point trail and error seems to be what will help most.

Changing to ESDF has gone terribly so far, but in the long run I think it will force me to think about what abilities I am using and improve my play as I figure out my keybinds.

Any more advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply Quote
Don't ask people to teach you how to play, learn it yourself. That's the best way to learn.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Never stun a MW monk :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
so what do you guys use as filler in your rotation (situational) but do you use hemo and backstab? just backstab?
Reply Quote
91 Undead Rogue
so what do you guys use as filler in your rotation (situational) but do you use hemo and backstab? just backstab?
Hemo and Backstab. If the Hemo bleed isn't already up or you aren't behind them, Hemo. If the bleed IS up and you're behind them, Backstab.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Thanks Kil
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Finally! Someone who shares my philosophy! THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]