Goldrinn - Why Lo'Gosh?

90 Night Elf Priest
Good point. Varian is freakin' metal. I'd totally choose that too.
I miss the angry Varian :(
Edited by Serendia on 5/11/2013 5:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Ahhh,so yep its true that the orcs had their own "spirit wolf" in draenor, but him isnt' the same "lo'gosh".

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=10791

I just took it to be a case of "hey, this is really similar to something we had back home, so we'll just assume it's the same and call it a day"
Reply Quote
I think Ferlion's comparison to Christianity is the best explanation. Especially after the Romans took it up as the official state religion, they absorbed the local religions into it. Local House Gods and Deities suddenly became Christian Saints, and major Pagan festivals somehow magically coincided with major events in the life of Jesus Christ. The same thing with Lo'Gosh. Goldrinn/Lo'Gosh is an Azerothian ancient, but the Orcs, to assimilate the Tauren and to give themselves more legitimacy on the alien world of Azeroth, have adopted a native god and claimed him as their own.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
The orcs intentionally syncretizing almost feels like it's too subtle and too intelligent to actually be lore, and feels more like a very clever fanon explanation. Not to dismiss it; it DOES make a lot of sense. I just... sadly, don't expect that level of depth and thought to be canonical from on high.
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Paladin
The orcs didn't borrow from the tauren--not except for taking the name for an otherwise universal spirit. Canines exist in both Draenor and on Azeroth, and they happened to be the predator that the original, shamanic orcs identified with.

When the orcs came to Azeroth, they'd already turned away from shamanism, but they turned back after the Second War. During the Third War, they met the Tauren, who worshipped/revered a spirit markedly similar to the nameless wolf-spirit the orcs once revered on Draenor.

Shaman see the elements and spirits as universal, not as bound to any one world--when they learned the Tauren name for a spirit they hadn't ever named, applying that name to their own culture just made sense.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
05/11/2013 04:42 PMPosted by Ferlion
I'll have to dig up where it was said, but the Tauren are the only one's familiar with Lo'gosh (that name specifically) and they passed it on to the Orcs.

I really, really want to see this source, cause I think you might be wrong.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
Comics as said earlier. It was Raghar.

Vyrin, Goldrinn isn't a spirit. Not like Shaman use. He's an ancient.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Ahhh,so yep its true that the orcs had their own "spirit wolf" in draenor, but him isnt' the same "lo'gosh".

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=10791

I just took it to be a case of "hey, this is really similar to something we had back home, so we'll just assume it's the same and call it a day"

That's how I took it too.
Edited by Reignac on 5/13/2013 10:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]