Goldrinn - Why Lo'Gosh?

90 Night Elf Priest
Good point. Varian is freakin' metal. I'd totally choose that too.
I miss the angry Varian :(
Edited by Serendia on 5/11/2013 5:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Ahhh,so yep its true that the orcs had their own "spirit wolf" in draenor, but him isnt' the same "lo'gosh".

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=10791

I just took it to be a case of "hey, this is really similar to something we had back home, so we'll just assume it's the same and call it a day"
Reply Quote
I think Ferlion's comparison to Christianity is the best explanation. Especially after the Romans took it up as the official state religion, they absorbed the local religions into it. Local House Gods and Deities suddenly became Christian Saints, and major Pagan festivals somehow magically coincided with major events in the life of Jesus Christ. The same thing with Lo'Gosh. Goldrinn/Lo'Gosh is an Azerothian ancient, but the Orcs, to assimilate the Tauren and to give themselves more legitimacy on the alien world of Azeroth, have adopted a native god and claimed him as their own.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
The orcs intentionally syncretizing almost feels like it's too subtle and too intelligent to actually be lore, and feels more like a very clever fanon explanation. Not to dismiss it; it DOES make a lot of sense. I just... sadly, don't expect that level of depth and thought to be canonical from on high.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
The orcs didn't borrow from the tauren--not except for taking the name for an otherwise universal spirit. Canines exist in both Draenor and on Azeroth, and they happened to be the predator that the original, shamanic orcs identified with.

When the orcs came to Azeroth, they'd already turned away from shamanism, but they turned back after the Second War. During the Third War, they met the Tauren, who worshipped/revered a spirit markedly similar to the nameless wolf-spirit the orcs once revered on Draenor.

Shaman see the elements and spirits as universal, not as bound to any one world--when they learned the Tauren name for a spirit they hadn't ever named, applying that name to their own culture just made sense.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
05/11/2013 04:42 PMPosted by Ferlion
I'll have to dig up where it was said, but the Tauren are the only one's familiar with Lo'gosh (that name specifically) and they passed it on to the Orcs.

I really, really want to see this source, cause I think you might be wrong.
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
Comics as said earlier. It was Raghar.

Vyrin, Goldrinn isn't a spirit. Not like Shaman use. He's an ancient.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Ahhh,so yep its true that the orcs had their own "spirit wolf" in draenor, but him isnt' the same "lo'gosh".

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=10791

I just took it to be a case of "hey, this is really similar to something we had back home, so we'll just assume it's the same and call it a day"

That's how I took it too.
Edited by Reignac on 5/13/2013 10:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I came into this waaaaaay late, but, Here's my two cents:

Orcs we're in fact literate... On Draenor to some extent... Maybe not enough to hold more than three word conversations with an Azerotian, but, amongst the people of Draenor, a different story. The Orcish peoples had a word for a fight or flight instinct, one fighting style of great ferocity, one seen commonly amongst the canines of Draenor. Now, follow me to the real world a sec, but, it is a German or French word that does not have an English equivalent. If I recall, the best translation has something to do with a certain class of 'fancy'. Take this into consideration when thinking on this topic. Then, the Orcs meet the Tauren and hear "Hey, there's this ancient wolf, we call him Lo'Gosh..." So, the Orcs are like, "Lo'Gosh? Wow! Lo'Gosh is just like the wolf of Draenor... For the sake of ease of people in the future, we'll now call the Wolf, Lo'Gosh!" And in my thought, The term is new(ish) for an old style and combat commonly used by wolves, to fight as the somebodies life depended on it, like a wolf always fights...
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Varian's backstory is like... one of those things most likely to get retconned as soon as possible.

Just like War2 - War 3 - WoW
Retconned the Orc's from being Demon-roided thugs, to Honor-Bound Green Barbarians.

Lothar's assassination to Lothar's Epic duel that he lost.

Arthas: merged soul-less creature with Ner'zhul that was neither Arthas or Ner'zhul that was on par with Archimond to whatever the heck he was in WoW... a walking talking Frostmourne in Arthas skin.

Varian's backstory in the comic for the first 10 or so issues was the first and ONLY time in my life I read comics and I freakin thought it was a brilliant set-up but a little unoriginal that tied into WoW ! By the time of the end of the comic... It was no longer Warcraft and had become a Super-Hero book that was so lame a Power-rangers episode had more depth.

He's def gona get a revision of some sort...
Reply Quote
100 Troll Rogue
05/11/2013 04:58 PMPosted by Ferliona
Goldrinn may be a symbol of ferocity and something that people who feel those emotions look to, but in the end he's an aspect of nature like every other Ancient. It has nothing to do with emotion.

And your certainty is based on what new material from Blizzard about Ancients/Loa/Wild Gods/Latest Blizzard name? Because beyond that vague and incredibly incomplete bit about Ancients arising out of Azeroth itself, Blizzard hasn't said boo about the nature of such entities.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Normally I'd be loath to join a necro'd thread, but this stuff is still pretty relevant and interesting. There have been some implications that the Emerald Dream spans different worlds, and in fact exists on Draenor.

I wonder if Blizzard will expand on that, and potentially use it to somewhat explain the Orcish affinity for the wolf ancient (e.i. Maybe the Azerothian ancient could have also existed in Draenor, or been related to a similar ancient that existed in Draenor).
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
I don't think there's enough evidence or contradicting evidence to really be making statements of facts, merely speculation.

02/06/2015 01:05 PMPosted by Mistmourn
Normally I'd be loath to join a necro'd thread, but this stuff is still pretty relevant and interesting. There have been some implications that the Emerald Dream spans different worlds, and in fact exists on Draenor.
A piece of the one of Draenor's moons (Presumably the Pale Lady from the looks of it) is a perfectly acceptable thing to use in a dedication of a moonwell to Elune to make it powerful enough to torture a demon, and the finishing text says "Thank you, <name>. The White Lady will be pleased." Not Elune or the Goddess or Mudder Moon, but the name that is strangely similar to the spirit/embodiment/something of one of Draenor's moons.

Skylord Omnomnom also says the arrakoa fall under Aviana's domain.

Although An'she and Ruhkmar more than likely aren't the same or go against the theory of 'multi-planet Ancients', being opposite genders and Dezco doesn't seem all that okay after getting one of the arrakoa's sunstones (Given Dezco, that she's world boss, and the high arrakoa have gone crazy, she has prooobably been corrupted)
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
05/11/2013 04:35 PMPosted by Fifira
Tak'rik Ragehowl seems to be speaking otherwise.

It is stated in the novel Wolfheart that Lo'Gosh is the Taur-ahe word for Goldrinn.
Reply Quote
I don't see how the arakkoa fall under Aviana's domain, considering they're form different planets, and it's established that the Ancients are local to Azeroth.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
02/07/2015 04:33 PMPosted by Vesiana
I don't see how the arakkoa fall under Aviana's domain, considering they're form different planets, and it's established that the Ancients are local to Azeroth.

It's probably the arakkoa saying that anything and everything that flies, on any world, automatically falls under Aviana's domain because she is a demi-goddess of flight. Basically co-opting other religious aspects into other cultures based on similarity.

Or the quest designer didn't think about it too in depth and let it slip past him/her that Aviana is an Azerothian Ancient, not Draenor. ie, a slip up that was never noticed or corrected.
Reply Quote
97 Human Paladin
I love Varian but why would he be the aspect of a Wolf-God when there's a whole BA race of werewolves running around with some completely awesome warriors for leaders?

That's all I want to know.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/08/2015 02:24 AMPosted by Aelamdor
I love Varian but why would he be the aspect of a Wolf-God when there's a whole BA race of werewolves running around with some completely awesome warriors for leaders?

Possibly because Varian was the strongest Alliance physical fighter at the time or perhaps Goldrinn wanted his Champion to be the head of the pack so to speak and not some flunky.

As for the worgen leaders

Genn is pretty old already.
Crowley was a traitor
Ivar - well he is viable, but we dont really know much about him so he is kinda minor.
Reply Quote
93 Gnome Warlock
Ivar cannibalizes the undead.
He considers Darius to be "soft"
The Bloodfang pack went on a ramapage in early gilneas starting zone.
He is more in tune with his worgen side.
His bloodfang pack burnt down orcish ships.
He humiliated the Orcish navy with worgen armed with with burning bromsticks, planks with nails and rolling pins.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]