Pet Battles PVP Getting stale: Conflagrate

90 Human Paladin
Every bloody pet team I fight lately has been based around one of those flame elemental guys using Conflagrate. People can't even be bothered try out a different pet that knows the move.

Learn to be creative.

I know they nerfed the move recently, but not enough apparently. I think I may need to start just setting up teams based on being resistant to elemental attacks. You know a meta is broken when everybody either plays one way or sets up to hose it...
Reply Quote
91 Pandaren Priest
Constructive criticism can go to the Pet Battle forum.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/7388394/
Edited by Vrakthris on 5/13/2013 1:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
69 Orc Death Knight
Have you tried using snails?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Sorry, I like my fel flame/fire spirit/turnip combo tyvm. good? Yes. OP? No.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
You know a meta is broken when everybody either plays one way or sets up to hose it...

Perhaps things are just different in my battlegroup, but while I wouldn't say that Conflag teams are "rare", they are definitely not the majority.

These things are kind of subjective, I guess.

I don't really think that Conflag is "broken" in its current incarnation; it's pretty easy to hose, and its damage isn't exactly outrageous when compared w/ most other abilities that have similar cooldowns.

I think it's pretty balanced currently, tbh.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
I been using a snow team as of late and faced conflag teams. I haven't seen too much of an issue.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
my server is nothing but deepfreeze teams, feels so good beating them tho

I saw this so much for the last few days with kunlai runts teams. I got obliterated by them for like 5 games straight until I finally began getting creative with my undead ghostly skull and using my pengu and harbinger of flame/or eternal strider more effectively.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
Going one on one w/ a KLR vs a Ghostly Skull makes my Blizzard team sad. :c
Reply Quote
94 Undead Priest
LNC
All I ever run into is kun-lai runt, double elemental teams. Mostly just deep freeze comps. If not, it's lil'rag.

It seems the 1-2 punch of elemental abilities is what everyone's flocking towards now-a-days.
Edited by Xista on 5/14/2013 3:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
All I ever run into is kun-lai runt, double elemental teams. Mostly just deep freeze comps. If not, it's lil'rag.

It seems the 1-2 punch of elemental abilities is what everyone's flocking towards now-a-days.

Yup, It's the reason I been running my Nether Roach, Stinker, Anubish Idol team lately. I can literally win 99.9% of the time (the .1 is the times I fall asleep at the wheel and eat my own Apacolypse =P )

It's really funny.

Conflag is strong but hardly OP, if I don't use my Scorchling carefully I can lose him before he get's to do any real damage.
Edited by Annimositty on 5/14/2013 5:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Rogue

I love teams like this and I don't see enough of them. A lot of them will just forfeit if you block their clearly telegraphed combo.
Reply Quote
94 Undead Priest
LNC

I love teams like this and I don't see enough of them. A lot of them will just forfeit if you block their clearly telegraphed combo.

They often times don't forfeit. But they're predictable in that they'll always use the chill effect > stun or burn > conflag. I counter by using block/dive/switching pets..... yet they don't change their strat until I beat them 3-4 times.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
05/12/2013 03:05 PMPosted by Kylethetrue
I know they nerfed the move recently, but not enough apparently.

They didn't nerf it. It got buffed. It does considerably more damage to targets that aren't burned, while doing almost the same damage to targets which are.

This is nowhere near as overpowered as Sandstorm teams. Pray those never catch on. They are absurdly overpowered (I've even tried my own more-abusive variant to see) but tend to go unplayed because it's slow. If the Elemental racial does get changed, I cringe because of how many viable new Sandstorm users enter the pet pool.

Conflagrate is moderately high damage that occurs 1 time every 4 turns. Sandstorm destroys the entire metagame and completely wrecks half the pet pool.
Reply Quote
This is nowhere near as overpowered as Sandstorm teams. Pray those never catch on. They are absurdly overpowered (I've even tried my own more-abusive variant to see) but tend to go unplayed because it's slow. If the Elemental racial does get changed, I cringe because of how many viable new Sandstorm users enter the pet pool.
You'll have to enlighten me exactly of what a 'good' sandstorm comp is.

Because all of mine get beaten down
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

This isn't very true. I only have two good Sandstorm teams and I lose to RNG if im not careful. Yes they dominate teams with to much focus on dot damage, however there isn't a whole lot of other options to medigate dot damage team's. Most shield pet's are slow devaluing the shield and evasion ability's only help so much. I can't help but laugh at how thoughtless these teams are though. Usually half their own team is hurt by Sandstorm and Sandstorm hardly affects heavy hitting comps which are everywhere (honestly the rise of the Runt may have something to do with this)

Conflagrate is moderately high damage that occurs 1 time every 4 turns. Sandstorm destroys the entire metagame and completely wrecks half the pet pool.

I believe that they did slightly reduce the damage but to compensate they made it so there's less draw backs if you don't land the ability on a burning target. It takes 7 turns to get two conflags out, plenty of time to kill/counter these pets.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
You'll have to enlighten me exactly of what a 'good' sandstorm comp is.Because all of mine get beaten down

It depends on how much opposing weather you anticipate facing. If it's very little, then Anubisath Idol alone would suffice. If you run into a lot of teams with opposing weather, you may be forced to also drag along a Magic Broom.

Good absusers of Sandstorm include:
- Emerald Proto-Whelp
- Magical Crawdad
- Shimmershell Snail (because 305 power is the highest power snail)
- Stoneskin/Shell Shield users in general (though ones with low power have trouble putting up a return offense and can die to attrition)
- Many forms of healing (Anubisath's humanoid racial is one of the factors that makes it a major abuser)
- Things with good solid sources of single-hit Undead damage (for a mirror match), and Flying doesn't hurt to meta the meta (Sandstorm itself deals a large amount of single-hit Flying damage)

I had tested with Anubisath + Enchanted Broom (2nd Sandstorm user) + Emerald Proto-Whelp. Didn't lose, slow as hell and basically unkillable, didn't lose. Not very fun for me or my enemy. Plenty of better options to replace the Broom if I don't expect to be in a weather war.

Things to NOT use with Sandstorm:
- Elementals
- Anything with multi-hit attacks (many Flying type moves for example, which is what makes it harder to counter a Sandstorm team, as Anubisath is often supported by an Aquatic)
- DOTs
- Things with low power, like pretty much all Speed based pets who already hit weakly and also often rely on multi-hits

If the Elemental racial gets changed, it's more of a buff for Sandstorm than a nerf. Previously Sandstorm screwed over several elementals hard... but a change would mean several more viable users enter the playing field (Pandaren Earth Spirit/Grinder for example). This would make it easier to compose a team with 2, or even 3, Sandstorm users to ensure the weather never leaves your favor.
Edited by Thundere on 5/14/2013 8:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
05/14/2013 07:41 AMPosted by Stax
You'll have to enlighten me exactly of what a 'good' sandstorm comp is.

Because all of mine get beaten down

I've hated the idol since it came out. Once I hate a pet I usually never use it, and relish the opportunity to beat it. This was the case with the idol... until last week. I just got sick of Sandstorm teams annoying the hell out of me, so I did a 180 on the Idol and embraced his Sandstorm lameness.

With incredible results.

I started running an Idol, Puffer, Shardhorn (P/P) team. I chose the Puffer and Shardhorn because they do huge amounts of damage, enough to get way past the barrier of Sandstorm. Sandstorm also helps keep them alive for a bit. I haven't lost much with this team.

Feeling extra lame for Sandstorming, I decided to take my lame to the next level. Idol, Silithid Hatchling, Emerald Proto Whelp. While not as successful as the team above, having 2 sandstorms works really well against people who try to change the weather. The critter attack from the Silithid Hatchling also provides the Idol with some coverage versus undead. And don't forget the lovely Proto Whelp. Lets put up a shield while in a Sandstorm and watch our opponents run away.

Now I just need to get over my hatred of the Crawdad. Then I can be the lamest lamer of the lamelings and run Idol, Armadillo, and Crawdad. (I've only done this about five times, so I can't really speak to it's long term effectiveness, but I can say it's... lame).

I still hate Sandstorm. I would say get rid of it, but it does have a necessary role, and that is countering DoT teams. DoT teams are brutal these days, now that I've embraced the Idol can counter the DoTs easily.

Edit: On topic, I hardly see and Conflag teams anymore.
Edited by Discodoggy on 5/14/2013 8:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I still hate Sandstorm. I would say get rid of it, but it does have a necessary role, and that is countering DoT teams. DoT teams are brutal these days, now that I've embraced the Idol can counter the DoTs easily.

There does need to be a middle ground. Countering DOTs also kills a lot of other Critters or Speed based multi-hit pets. As you can see, Sandstorm is absurdly effective and resillient while not being particularly fun for either player.

And Sandstorm isn't the only option against DOTs. Cleansing Rain is there too, and I swore they're giving a pass at buffing the Aquatic racial a little. I feel Sandstorm could use a ~50% nerf in the damage reduction (or maybe just converted entirely over to the spike skin effect) and Cleansing Rain could use a little bit of a buff or maybe something to make it less Aquatic-centric.

I was actually one of the first users in the game of an ooze-centric team, as my response to all the Fluxfire Felines around. The nerf to Corrosion is definitely an appropriate nerf. The metagame needs more Checks than Counters, things to keep other things from spiralling out of control, not to remove them from the metagame. Sandstorm is a very hard Counter that kills a ton of the metagame.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
I mostly run into multiple Deep Freeze type of setup. Snowman and Kun Lai Runt is creative for my battle group, 2 Kun Lai Runts and an Ooze is the standard. Very few teams beat that, so I have to load up on 3 undead usually just to compete.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]