Ret PvP

90 Pandaren Shaman
Thinking about lvling up my ret pally...how is ret doing in pvp these days?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Depending on who you ask, you'll likely get "middle of the road", "balanced", "so <Censored>ing weak that Blizzard clearly hates us, get rid of Inquisition!" or "lolret". So, we run the gamut of opinions here.

For me personally, we're doing good. We're not killing it like the FOTM classes, but every patch since 5.0 we've steadily been getting little bumps here and there, and it's nice to be in a solid class that keeps seeing better days ahead than to be in a God-class that you know is going to be nerfed beyond playability come the next patch.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Depending on who you ask, you'll likely get "middle of the road", "balanced", "so <Censored>ing weak that Blizzard clearly hates us, get rid of Inquisition!" or "lolret". So, we run the gamut of opinions here.

For me personally, we're doing good. We're not killing it like the FOTM classes, but every patch since 5.0 we've steadily been getting little bumps here and there, and it's nice to be in a solid class that keeps seeing better days ahead than to be in a God-class that you know is going to be nerfed beyond playability come the next patch.

5.1 was awful, no survivability at all.
It felt like playing a Frost DK with no grip, and 60% of the damage.
However after my break for a few months, I'm enjoying Ret again.

Thinking about lvling up my ret pally...how is ret doing in pvp these days?

Think of it like playing a healer, that can kill you once every two minutes. But really other than defensive capability and sustained damage were in a solid place, as well as getting buffed.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ok. It is a melee/support/"lol heals" class in rated pvp. Our "defense" is sacrificing all our damage for little 40k heals and wasting 4 global cool downs to actually do what you were trying to do. A melee that can get silenced for his self heals. Can FoL only twice before going oom (without selfless healer procs), we have a melee interrupt and a stun on a 30 second cool down. We have small bursts periods where all our damage is becomes pointless if you are feared/stunned the entire burst period anyway due to no counters to CC other than a 5 minute shield cool down that can be easily dispelled in 1.5 seconds. We have divine protection that blocks 40% magic damage but takes up global. We have emancipate but it is sometimes unclear which slows it removes and which ones it doesn't. Emancipate is stupid since once you clear the slow they reapply it anyway and you have to just use HoF anyway.

Also. Don't bother trying to get into rated battlegrounds without a good friend that is willing to add a liability because he is a good friend. Plan on being a <1800 arena hero and maybe joining a RBG if you are lucky and the group doesn't care about rating.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ok. It is a melee/support/"lol heals" class in rated pvp. Our "defense" is sacrificing all our damage for little 40k heals and wasting 4 global cool downs to actually do what you were trying to do. A melee that can get silenced for his self heals. Can FoL only twice before going oom (without selfless healer procs), we have a melee interrupt and a stun on a 30 second cool down. We have small bursts periods where all our damage is becomes pointless if you are feared/stunned the entire burst period anyway due to no counters to CC other than a 5 minute shield cool down that can be easily dispelled in 1.5 seconds. We have divine protection that blocks 40% magic damage but takes up global. We have emancipate but it is sometimes unclear which slows it removes and which ones it doesn't. Emancipate is stupid since once you clear the slow they reapply it anyway and you have to just use HoF anyway.

Also. Don't bother trying to get into rated battlegrounds without a good friend that is willing to add a liability because he is a good friend. Plan on being a <1800 arena hero and maybe joining a RBG if you are lucky and the group doesn't care about rating.

I don't know why you're crying and saying ret isn't viable. I was 2100+ in arenas all last season as ret and 2200 rbg. This season ret is better. The only issue is we're vulnerable to being trained without a strong healer, but we're absolutely viable and emancipate is amazing, between that, freedom and our myriad of ranged abilities you should have no issues dealing damage.

Also our wogs are intended to be a last ditched thing, prior to that we have resil stacking, bubble, trinket and positioning. If you're not going to play better don't go spewing that ret can't get into rbgs, or will be a "<1800 arena hero"
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Doesn't matter how good you are people have a negative view of ret's when it comes to RBG and won't let you even join. JOINING RBG is the hard part. When someone sees a ret in a RBG the other team says: lol the other team has a ret, must be one of those ghetto rbg's... I can spend a week in trade chat and never get into an RBG if it wasn't for my weekly guild run on Thursdays.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Also our wogs are intended to be a last ditched thing, prior to that we have resil stacking, bubble, trinket and positioning. If you're not going to play better don't go spewing that ret can't get into rbgs, or will be a "<1800 arena hero"

---
The only active defense you listed was trinket (everyone has), bubble (ON A 5 MINUTE COOLDOWN), and lol positioning... . WoG as a last ditch effort? the entire match is a last ditch effort. you will be focused and trained and always on the defensive. if a melee is damaging you, you might as well take templsrs verdict off of your action bar so you can WoG to barely stay alive a few extra seconds. And you may be a good player and an exception, But ret has a handicap that makes it much harder to reach those ratings. Bravo to you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

---
The only active defense you listed was trinket (everyone has), bubble (ON A 5 MINUTE COOLDOWN), and lol positioning... . WoG as a last ditch effort? the entire match is a last ditch effort. you will be focused and trained and always on the defensive. if a melee is damaging you, you might as well take templsrs verdict off of your action bar so you can WoG to barely stay alive a few extra seconds. And you may be a good player and an exception, But ret has a handicap that makes it much harder to reach those ratings. Bravo to you.

I LOL'd Pretty hard, I won't lie.
Edited by Amuroraye on 5/12/2013 10:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

---

Do you understand how bad you are? Have you ever read what your templar's verdict glyph does?

Please stop playing this class so you can cry when you suck at an OP class instead.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

---

Do you understand how bad you are? Have you ever read what your templar's verdict glyph does?

Please stop playing this class so you can cry when you suck at an OP class instead.

I think he was being sarcastic....just saying.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I am ret and had very little problems getting back into 2s with my combat(now assassin) rogue friend. After a few matches of getting used to PvP with my new rotation (havent PvP's since cata) I got quite a few streaks. There are of course other classes that kicked my !@#$ when I didn't have specific cooldowns available, and our burst is amazing (I literally downed a DK in 5 seconds) I don't have an extreme rating but thats just numbers in comparison to a player's capability to PvP.

As for self healing, I use FoL with selfless healer and a few defensive cooldowns, and yes I am pretty squishy so I have to work around that y'know.

Overall I haven't had many problems playing Ret, and gearing for it wasnt a job either (I spammed heroics under tank spec to grind JP to convert to HP for gear as well as gotten a few high pieces from world bosses). I say to go for it and see how you do. Not everyone plays the game the same way.

As a note: I hope for 5.3 to yield boosts for Ret's damage, since generic raiders look down on us currently (I say our low damage is from blizz changing us from "lolprocserrywhere
" to a more stable rotation class. And imo Inq is not efficient enough to use in PvP due to the (mostly) quick fights, my burst is more than enough.

I LOL'd Pretty hard, I won't lie.

That face is hilarious.
Edited by Molma on 5/12/2013 3:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

I think he was being sarcastic....just saying.

I am well aware, I mean everything I said after reading not just this post of his but also the rest of his on this forum.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

I don't know why you're crying and saying ret isn't viable. I was 2100+ in arenas all last season as ret and 2200 rbg. This season ret is better.

Forgive my skepticism at your claimed prowess, Lord Challenger.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
k'pow
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

I don't know why you're crying and saying ret isn't viable. I was 2100+ in arenas all last season as ret and 2200 rbg. This season ret is better.

Forgive my skepticism at your claimed prowess, Lord Challenger.

Sitting a team for duelist doesn't appeal to me. I got Challenger S11 because I forgot to leave a 5s team.

I'm sure you're very proud of your duelist 2s in 2009 though, I'm curious how somebody who is a "duelist/2200 2s" has such a poor win/loss at such low rating this season and has no 2k achieves in any other bracket.

Intriguing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
There are 100 of these threads daily. Why don't you just scroll down and look at the answers people got for the exact same question. Ret is crappy atm. CC is out of control in this game and ret suffers from all of the above with hardly a tool to deal with them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You realize you don't ever have to cast Templars verdict for the glyph to work? Marty, the troll who thought he was good.
Edited by Terminator on 5/13/2013 5:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You realize you don't ever have to cast Templars verdict for the glyph to work? Marty, the troll who thought he was good.

What are you even saying, are you trying to troll now? Because that's just an incorrect statement.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Read the glyph then come back here.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
WoG spam IS ret's survival and Holy Avenger is ret's survival CD as well as it's DPS CD. This is why the spec is utter trash in a pvp environment.

Ret:

1) lacks tools.
2) lacks survival.
3) lacks sustained damage.

Off heals mean nothing when you get trained in every fight and "killswitch" means nothing when you remain CCd the entire duration.

Ret brings nothing to the table that another class doesn't bring better.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]