Ret PvP

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Read the glyph then come back here.

Still not seeing your point. Unless you actually think that using it through exorcism only is worthwhile.

WoGs are only relevant healing if you are pillaring, healing somebody else or not taking damage in the near future. In 6 seconds 10% damage reduction exceeds the 20k healing you receive from a WoG.

Although I don't know why I'm trying to explain this to you.

Whine more, the only buff ret needs is a way for templar's verdict to apply whether we've recently used an ability or not, most swaps will generally happen out of CC/during stuns meaning that the glyph is generally down. Of course at low rating they'll just try to kill you (what you've experienced) where you'll be able to wog repeatedly but that's not the case against good players.

Our sustained damage is fine and our tools are extraordinary.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Played Ret since Vanilla, both horde and alliance, unless you are going to enjoy always being behind, the fuel for a lot of jokes, and knowing that you could do a lot better on another spec go for it lol.

Hybrid melee will never ever = pure melee.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
lmao this thread

No, Ret isn't so "viable" for very high end play, but I doubt you're looking for that.

Ret's great in random bgs, duels, 1v2-3-4world pvp(depending if youre good enough and how good your targets are) mid tier arena mmr, and mid tier rbg mmr.
Ofc that changes if played by a skilled Player Like any class shines when played by a skilled player.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
05/11/2013 05:01 PMPosted by Martymcfly
I don't know why you're crying and saying ret isn't viable. I was 2100+ in arenas all last season as ret and 2200 rbg.

As some one said already, it's getting into an rbg group that is the hard part. It's funny as soon as people found out I had a warlock my paladin became invisible. I enjoy my paladin A LOT more and it's where most of my pvp achieves have come from.

I just recently moved to Tich but was on stonemaul before. Getting 2k in 2s was tough. I mean look at this.../sigh

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/pvp/arena/cyclone/2v2?comp=&team=&realm=108&faction=&minRating=&maxRating=&compType=all

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/pvp/arena/cyclone/3v3?comp=&team=&realm=108&faction=&minRating=&maxRating=&compType=all

I quit shortly into wrath until a few months ago, not doing rbgs in that time hurt my chances of finding a group at all.

Anyway back on topic, honestly play what you enjoy playing and what works for you. Who cares about what is destroying in bgs/arena. Heck I just got done playing affliction for a while on my lock because incinerate spamming was boring esp with all the rogues.

(If you disect my stats or w/e this paladin was my 3s and Thaeos was my 2s)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Ret's great as long as you aren't against a Mage, Lock, BM Hunter, Monk, Rogue, SPriest, or Murloc.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Ret's great as long as you aren't a bad player
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
ITT 2100 carry tries to talk down to real Rets about "How we all suck and Ret is fine."

6/10 would rage again.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
And Marty: ill quote something you said that completely makes me lol at all the arguments that ret is fine on this thread.

"Ret is not beast mode right now in arenas.

Ret is one of the most vulnerable train classes in the game, we have one viable comp (ret/hunter/disc) and even that comp is still mediocre/barely on par compared to every other melee's available comps.

Next patch will be nice as our damage will be a bit higher but we'll still suffer the same issue that we're just too vulnerable to being trained."

So.... Make up your mind... Which is it?

Which is it? What do you mean, I completely think ret isn't great right now, I've not said it's fine but WE DO NOT NEED MORE ULILITY, WE DO NOT NEED MORE DAMAGE. What we need is a better defensive preferably a passive one like almost every other class has. Hell even something like the talented feint would be fine, however as it is templar's verdict glyph doesn't suffice.

ITT 2100 carry tries to talk down to real Rets about "How we all suck and Ret is fine."

6/10 would rage again.

2100 carry? What a joke. Just because somebody actually knows how to play and obtains higher ratings than you doesn't mean they got a carry.

In this thread I didn't say ret is fine, we're not. We need a defensive that is reliable, we don't need more damage and we don't need more utility, those aspects of ret ARE FINE. Maybe bad players don't utilize them and get stuck at low ratings (yourself and Impulsikk) but it's not a class issue, it's a player issue. However way to be a typical 1800 player and think we need damage or utility as a solution to us "being the most trainable class in the game"

Wouldn't recommend it, ret is simply WAY TOO squishy atm, getting into an RBG group is only possible if they're close friends and the healers are willing to struggle keeping you alive, in competitve arena you'll see ret is one of the least represented classes... I don't know why people who DON'T play ret like holy paladins or other classes post on these forums saying "ret is fine".

This is funny because you directed the holy paladin part towards me and you're posting on a mage. Please quote where in this thread I said "ret is fine" since you used quotations.

I'm not a Holy Paladin, I play holy yes, but I also play ret. As you may have noticed I'm not full holy gear and that's because I actually actively gear both specs. I've been higher rated this season as ret than holy and I played ret ALL of last season.
Edited by Martymcfly on 5/14/2013 3:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
[quote]In this thread I didn't say ret is fine, we're not. We need a defensive that is reliable, we don't need more damage and we don't need more utility, those aspects of ret ARE FINE. Maybe bad players don't utilize them and get stuck at low ratings (yourself and Impulsikk) but it's not a class issue, it's a player issue. However way to be a typical 1800 player and think we need damage or utility as a solution to us "being the most trainable class in the game

Your clearly a reasonable player, but I would have to disagree on our damage, it is too low in PvE and PvP. We need to be about 10-15% higher sustained imao. Our CDs are easily countered by cc.
Our heals are easily shut down as utility (which I would be guessing we are balanced around).

I have no issues with my damage in PvP, I don't really PvE much as ret so I can't speak on that front but as far as arenas go, co-ordinating burst on CC from myself and partners has given my no troubles landing kills. Of course they don't happen in the first set of cooldowns usually but very very rarely do games last past my second guardian (if they even make it that far, usually in my experience my second wings is enough to land a kill)

The biggest part of it is having a confident team though, yes our cooldowns are easily stopped by CC but that's true of every class' cooldowns, that's where your healer and partners come in. Part of being a skilled player is knowing when to burst, so when your trinket is down and you're off fear DR while your healer is eating a CC you should NOT be trying to burst. This will lead to you eating cc.

Properly bursting means popping your cooldowns while you have CC on at least one of the opponents, or you have methods to stop CC/get out of it once it goes off, this includes bubble, trinket, healer dispel, tremor, mass dispel etc.

Once your team has that stuff down I think you'll find no issues with your damage.

Oh also even though it isn't directly doing damage remember sacing a partner from a fear, kicking a poly or bopping a partner out of a blind, or using devotion aura allowing them to use their abilities adds a HUGE amount of pressure to your team.
Edited by Martymcfly on 5/14/2013 3:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
I love Ret. No matter how weak we may look compared to other classes it makes it just more challenging. Even with survivability low, my damage is just fine and I can almost keep up with well geared DK's and Mages. If I'm not focused in CC when I pop CD's it's pretty guaranteed I'm gonna kill 2-3 people within my single burst. Of course they'd have to be low to somewhat geared, but regardless it's still a lot of fun. Remember Ret really shines the most when you are geared. We're a really geared dependent spec (both PvE/PvP) and I believe that's the way it should be for any class to do certain amount of damage/healing.. but it's not.

If you know how to play your class you can even 1v3 others (who are subpar geared and halfway skilled of course) but then again so could any other class if you know to play it. My opinion I feel our offheals are solid as well. When Selfless Healer gets it's 2nd-3rd stack I've kept a teammate who's being focused alive when they're going under 20% with heals that go up to 130k+ and it's turn the tide of battle in our favor for it. Remember if you got good teammates who are trying to win and you throw them a heal or two, in the end it's beneficial for every one.

I think being a utility spec'd class is probably more fun than just being a straight damage/heal classed spec. Some people hate the whole "Ugh I gotta heal myself or someone else...this sucks.", and to me I feel as if they wouldn't be enjoyable to play with at all.

Personally I feel that the ones who don't like Ret PvP or think we're a waste are usually ones who are selfish (Meaning they don't want to be a utility for their teammates), are frustrated because they are the least wanted spec in RBG's/Arena, want to be one of those OP/FotM classes where they steamroll anything they come across without even having to hardly do anything (boring),or just don't know how to play the class and blame us for being too weak instead of looking at the advantages we have over others.

That being said, I still have fun PvPing knowing I'll never be wanted for serious RBG's, or I'll never make it to high MMR arena.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
I love Ret. No matter how weak we may look compared to other classes it makes it just more challenging. Even with survivability low, my damage is just fine and I can almost keep up with well geared DK's and Mages. If I'm not focused in CC when I pop CD's it's pretty guaranteed I'm gonna kill 2-3 people within my single burst. Of course they'd have to be low to somewhat geared, but regardless it's still a lot of fun. Remember Ret really shines the most when you are geared. We're a really geared dependent spec (both PvE/PvP) and I believe that's the way it should be for any class to do certain amount of damage/healing.. but it's not.

If you know how to play your class you can even 1v3 others (who are subpar geared and halfway skilled of course) but then again so could any other class if you know to play it. My opinion I feel our offheals are solid as well. When Selfless Healer gets it's 2nd-3rd stack I've kept a teammate who's being focused alive when they're going under 20% with heals that go up to 130k+ and it's turn the tide of battle in our favor for it. Remember if you got good teammates who are trying to win and you throw them a heal or two, in the end it's beneficial for every one.

I think being a utility spec'd class is probably more fun than just being a straight damage/heal classed spec. Some people hate the whole "Ugh I gotta heal myself or someone else...this sucks.", and to me I feel as if they wouldn't be enjoyable to play with at all.

Personally I feel that the ones who don't like Ret PvP or think we're a waste are usually ones who are selfish (Meaning they don't want to be a utility for their teammates), are frustrated because they are the least wanted spec in RBG's/Arena, want to be one of those OP/FotM classes where they steamroll anything they come across without even having to hardly do anything (boring),or just don't know how to play the class and blame us for being too weak instead of looking at the advantages we have over others.

That being said, I still have fun PvPing knowing I'll never be wanted for serious RBG's, or I'll never make it to high MMR arena.

I m sorry dude in wows game now you're not 1v3 anybody that doesn't completely suck. With all the cc and every downy kid key binds now days there's no way you're killing 3 people unless they're drooling on their keyboard.
We all Love ret but it has Issues, It is the Worse melee class in the game right now. Enhance on the PTR is doing much better then ret.

Most of the time being 2.2k+ On ret isnt because of the ret. Sure you're probably a skilled player but you're running with a OP Hunter and probably an amazing discp priest.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I just tabbed out to check this while sitting next to murky..... fml

Ret's great as long as you aren't against a Mage, Lock, BM Hunter, Monk, Rogue, SPriest, or Murloc.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
For Arenas:

"middle of the road"

For RBGs:

"lolret"
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You want to do rbgs? Go holy it's not hard its easy, its ret healing but you have 3-4 more buttons.

Unless you are like the ret's who don't know how to heal other or themselves.

Go in as ret you are making your team do a 9v10. Which I like because when we fight ret teams its 100% free win.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]