Myth about classic Dungeoning:

50 Blood Elf Priest
I started playing at the tale end of that era, a couple months before LFD was introduced

yes, it was that bad
Then why do you feel qualified to post about it? You were fresh at the time. Of course you didnt know how it worked. I've met people who are too afraid to use LFD. Same thing.

This entire thread is like watching the people with the ability to network try to explain how it works to the people who refuse to try.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
People claim that during classic they had to sit in trade for two hours looking for a tank and making a group was terrible; however, this was almost never the case.

On the contrary this was almost always the case. if it wasn't, there would never have been such a huge demand for the LFG tool.

On my server you could go days looking for a healer and/or tank.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
No..it really was like that.

/who (any class that could tank)

soandso is ignoring you
whatsername is ignoring you

/who healers

ionlyhealfriends is ignoring you
nothealingyou is ignoring you

I played a healer back then and I got spammed whispers as soon as I logged in. I had an ignore list a mile wide.

If you played a healer, or a tank you could make a group easily
if you had friends, or a guild you made groups easy

If you didn't...you were spending hours looking.

LFD was made for a reason.

Spamming LFM Uldaman need tank for 2 hours got old pretty fast.

That's what it was like in any other game I played. I've been on both sides as mdps and tank. It was frustrating trying to gear my dps toon in Warhammer because people only had room for me as a tank.

In EQ1 it seriously did take me 3 hours to find a grind group when my friends weren't on. No one needed a ranger. 45 min LFR queues are very short in comparison.

There was also the issue of not being able to find a group for leveling dungeons in Warhammer and to a lesser extent LotRO back in the day (idk if it's different now in LotRO, it's been a few years).

I think it's freaking awesome that I have the choice to level through dungeons if I want to. I've had some fun groups (knock on wood, I hope that continues). I'll gladly take a dps puller or a tank that never stops moving (both of which are pet peeves of mine) over not bing able to find a group for dungeons at all.

I don't think the system is perfect, but it's still a huge improvement over my experiences in other games.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
i don't know a bout you but someone that i have never met before whispering me about going to a dungeon sounds a little...off
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
LFG is a huge time saver for a pure dps class as myself. I played back in BC and early Wrath. I remember sitting in Shattrath and Dalaran for a hour just looking for a heroic. While I am not a fan of rude people in the LFG, I would still rather have this than a long wait time just sitting in trade, asking once every 4 or 5 minutes for a tank/healer/group.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
I remember waiting for 2-3 hours for UBRS runs to form up on my server as a dps. Raids took even longer if you weren't in an established guild and tried to piggy back off a small/medium sized guild for 20 or 40 mans. I also remember constantly spending a majority of my available playtime sitting around in Org trying to get groups together and consistently having to give up due to time constraints. Now with LFR/LFG as a tank I get heroic queues in seconds and raid queues in about 2/3 minutes if I'm on during normal people hours. These mythical moments of instant group formations happened once in a blue moon if the planets aligned correctly, but nowadays with declining server populations and the withering patience of the general player base (I've had healers quit heroics because I pulled a singular optional add group), removing either system would mean I would be stuck pvping and doing dailies considering career limitations.

As others have said, if you prefer social oriented group forming, go right ahead and get your friends together in a guild or something. Don't drag us back there with you. As much as I loved the lost in the sauce feeling vanilla provided, adding hours to my dungeon and raid experiences wouldn't bring any of the nostalgia back.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
nah it took a while, then the tank would d/c just as you were all heading over, so someone had to head back. then you got another tank went back over and rogue didnt have high enough lock picking skills to open the door and nobody had the key so you go try to grab the key, mid way through someone dcs, you wait 10 minutes, then go find someone else (you dont have a warlock in your group by the way) and come back, then you finally get the key go back up to open the door open it, healer dcs. at this point in time all your hearths are on cool down and your mage is out of port reagents so you have to fly back to org, since trade chat isnt global, and find a healer who doesn't want to join your group since you have a spell casting dps that needs an item he needs. eventually you agree to kick the dps and replace it since its way easier, grab the healer and have a dps who hates you for all time. you finally get to the last boss and wipe over and over because you dont have enough fire resistance. but you finally get it.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Honestly classic was better and here is why:
"Lfm RBGs!"
"Hi, I'm a hunter"
"welcome to the group!"
-get kicked-
/w why did I get kicked?
/r found a 2.2k achieve warlock from KT
/w that's not even our server
-so and so is ignoring you-
cept for the whole fact that there were no achieves and rbg's. compelling story!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I remember standing in the city spamming trade chat for extra people to do PUG groups and I remember waiting a long time. Not two hours, but it often took long enough to make people want to give up before we could fill the group. Some persistent players would manage to get a group together, but other groups would just give up.

And I TRULY played in Vanilla - but to be honest I don't really remember ever spamming for extra bodies in dungeons and raids because I was in a guild and we did all that with guild members only. Heck, I don't remember spamming for PUGs until Wrath, when I decided to depart the big guild scene and raids and dungeons were easier to do.

I prefer the LFR and LFD just because I don't need to spam any channels to get a group together now.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Well, I didn't play in Vanilla. I started around BC launch.

I was a 49 "twink" for months (until I got bored of it), and my experience was that there was practically desperation to get tanks/healers for dungeons. I wasn't interested in dungeons, just BGs and doing my own thing. I received a massive amount of whispers from people begging me to heal something. I couldn't make it through a Warsong Gulch without "Will you heal XYZ? All we need is a healer. We can summon!!!! PLZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!" I'd get one whisper from a hunter, then 30 seconds later, one from a mage and ask the mage "Are you grouped with that hunter?" The mage would say "No :(." Multiple competing groups with 3 dps, lacking a tank or healer or both for hours until they got lucky or gave up . . . no thank you, let's not go back to that please.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Well, I didn't play in Vanilla. I started around BC launch.

I was a 49 "twink" for months (until I got bored of it), and my experience was that there was practically desperation to get tanks/healers for dungeons. I wasn't interested in dungeons, just BGs and doing my own thing. I received a massive amount of whispers from people begging me to heal something. I couldn't make it through a Warsong Gulch without "Will you heal XYZ? All we need is a healer. We can summon!!!! PLZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!" I'd get one whisper from a hunter, then 30 seconds later, one from a mage and ask the mage "Are you grouped with that hunter?" The mage would say "No :(." Multiple competing groups with 3 dps, lacking a tank or healer or both for hours until they got lucky or gave up . . . no thank you, let's not go back to that please.

lol wow yeah that brings me back "PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ:

They would receive

Zalanii is ignoring you
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
No no no NO!

Getting a dungeon back in vanilla and even tbc was terrible if you weren't a tank or healer. If you were a tank or healer and everyone knew about it, you would get bugged the moment you logged on. If you were a hybrid, you were a healer, no ifs, ands, or buts.

THe community wasn't all sun shine and rainbows either. Do one thing wrong even if it was an accident because you were new and didn't know much, you were black listed. I don't ever remember anyone outside of my guild pulling me aside and explaining things to me when I didn't know or asked, most just told me to "lol go kill urself".

Has the RDF and LFR tools improved the game? Debatable at best, but if they were removed, I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

If I want to sit around and form a group for something, I'll just make my friends run 9/9 challenge modes for a third time or go do a normal raid.
Edited by Tamamo on 5/11/2013 2:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
There has always been a shortage of tanks (especially) and healers relative to dps. Some dps will always have to wait. If you were a dps and managed to find a tank or healer quickly, that just means less tanks and healers to go around for other dps.

LFD is the most efficient way to distribute the limited supply of tanks and healers. Its convenient for tanks and healers too, since you're not getting constantly hassled by people on your friends list to come tank/heal for them, and if you feel like dpsing instead queue times aren't that long.
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Rogue
AnW
So let me get this straight. Because the OP somehow managed not to annoy every tank and healer on their server with their out-of-the-blue whispers, a tool that massively improved the quality of game for a lot of players should be removed. That's basically what was said, right?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I am definitely tired of people trying to pretend that the community in vanilla wow was all rainbows and sunshine.

It definitely wasn't.

When people talk about things like

"you had to behave, because servers had communities, and if you were a scumbag then you would be black listed"

You think, great so buttwipes who ninja gear and yell profanities will get whats coming to them

But instead...

That jerk who ninja disenchanted the gear and hearthed?

No body cared, especially if he was from a good guild on that server

You know who did get black listed?

New players, or naive players that got used by the higher end players

I knew a guy who got black listed from just about every guild on the server because he needed on a shield he didn't need, and didn't know that his class didn't use a shield...in wailing caverns.

"People cared about ganking and would protect others"

More like we would all compare our dishonorable kills and see who could get them the highest

"/1 I'm getting ganked in STV someone help me

/1 go kill yourself, no one cares"

There were not as many guides as there are now, there was Thottbot and Allakazam...but especially in the early days...there was a lot that they didn't have.

The forums were especially venomous.

I made the mistake of asking for tips for my priest in BC

I was told to uninstall the game, slit my wrists and die, that I should be ashamed of myself and I made all priests looks bad.

Why?

I had 1 red gem in my pants, instead of all purple gems.

yeah real nice community.
Reply Quote
50 Blood Elf Priest
If you were a hybrid, you were a healer, no ifs, ands, or buts.
This is hilarious because I mained a druid and never healed anyone outside of raids.

I was told to uninstall the game, slit my wrists and die, that I should be ashamed of myself and I made all priests looks bad.

Please tell me how this is different from now? Seriously. Go to STV. It's better to be ganked than have to listen to your own faction.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Please tell me how this is different from now? Seriously. Go to STV. It's better to be ganked than have to listen to your own faction.

I believe their point was just to show that the community wasn't all kittens and rainbows as people claimed back in the day
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
05/11/2013 03:21 AMPosted by Loans
If you were a hybrid, you were a healer, no ifs, ands, or buts.
This is hilarious because I mained a druid and never healed anyone outside of raids.

No, STV is now just a bunch of people screaming I HATE CRZ GET OFF MY SERVER
NO YOU GET OFF MY SERVER, AAAH I HATE YOU

There's the constant crying about being ganked and how unfair it is, but that part has never changed. Even in cata, there were roaming level 85 gank squads in STV.

But yes, people try to claim that the community was much more welcoming "back in the day", if anything it was far more closed off, separated into cliques, and it had a code and a language. If you didn't speak it, you weren't invited.

I find the community...not nicer, just so apathetic that they can hardly be mean to one another. The harshest stuff said in LFR won't beat what has been said on the old forums or in guild chats of the day.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]