Myth about classic Dungeoning:

90 Night Elf Druid

You whisper each person on the list and you form a pool to create your group from plus the added adventure of making your way to the summoning stone with a group of your server comrades. WoW dungeons were a lot more fulfilling back then

Or you wait, potentially spamming the LFD channel in Orgrimmar for 2 hours, get only 1 person to join your BRD group and then quit, having wasted 2 hours because not enough people were sitting in Orgrimmar.

That was an actual experience of mine back in Vanilla.

But you know which one was better. doing BGs with a guild-member, then oh hey, the guild-member is going to a MC Raid, oh hey, they need people!

Oh hey, I'm an enhancement shaman with no resto-spec. Too bad for me.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
LF1M UBRS MUST HAVE KEY

10 minutes later

LFM healer/dps MUST HAVE KEY

15 minutes later

LFM tank and dps MUST HAVE KEY
5 minutes later

LF4M UBRS MUST HAVE KEY
Reply Quote
50 Blood Elf Priest
No, STV is now just a bunch of people screaming I HATE CRZ GET OFF MY SERVER
NO YOU GET OFF MY SERVER, AAAH I HATE YOU

There's the constant crying about being ganked and how unfair it is, but that part has never changed. Even in cata, there were roaming level 85 gank squads in STV.

My STV idk. I was doing pet battles, saw someone ask for help. they immediately got SPAMMED with learn to play, kill your scrub etc. comments.
But yes, people try to claim that the community was much more welcoming "back in the day", if anything it was far more closed off, separated into cliques, and it had a code and a language. If you didn't speak it, you weren't invited.

I find the community...not nicer, just so apathetic that they can hardly be mean to one another. The harshest stuff said in LFR won't beat what has been said on the old forums or in guild chats of the day.
It did have a code and a language. I wouldnt say it was closed off though. If you talked to people, made friends, you could get anywhere you wanted to go.

Life is like that though.

The casual cruelty, or apathy, as you say kills community because there just isn't one. A closed off, cliquey community is still a community. Now everyone is just looking for NPCs to help them.
Reply Quote
94 Gnome Warlock
People claim that during classic they had to sit in trade for two hours looking for a tank and making a group was terrible

You know that "myth" usually refers to a fabrication, right? Fiction? When you start talking about things that actually happened it's not really a myth so much as it is history.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm pretty sure the whole server had the same 5 tanks who were willing to pug on their friends list and just sat and waited for them to log on.
Reply Quote
97 Blood Elf Warlock
removing LFG and LFR is completely viable and manageable for all intents and purposes.

No.

If they removed LFG and LFR I think I'd end up unsubscribing permanently; they are 2 lovely tools added into the game to streamline it and make it less of a hassle.

Just because you don't like the 2 features doesn't mean "they should be removed from the game".

Don't like them? Don't use them.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
05/11/2013 03:57 AMPosted by Tovi
I'm pretty sure the whole server had the same 5 tanks who were willing to pug on their friends list and just sat and waited for them to log on.

I remember getting down right mad at one of our warrior tanks in the guild because he refused to do dungeons (he was a hardcore pvper in his free time.)

I mean, I never said anything to him because it's his right to play the game how he wanted but I couldn't help my murderous thoughts. That's why this thread makes me laugh... the tanking situation was so bad on Eitrigg during TBC that one would get mad if a tank wouldn't run dungeons.

It got so bad I was willing to heal anything that was willing to "tank".

Things I have healed through dungeons, mini raids, and heroics

fury warriors in dps gear + shield
enhancement shamans
ret paladins in pvp gear
hunter pets
warlock pets
feral druids in resto gear
resto druid in bear form
I even tried just getting this shadow priest to soak damage

Desperate times...

But I used to write these huge rants on the server forums about how I would take anyone willing to tank, I was met with "don't do pugs".

My guild's tanks refused to tank dungeons, as they respecced to dps on off nights and well, spending all that gold to tank 1 dungeon just wasn't worth it.

Thank God for dual spec too.

Seriously
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
People claim that during classic they had to sit in trade for two hours looking for a tank and making a group was terrible; however, this was almost never the case.

Anyone who truly played in Vanilla knows that /who (dungeon level range) was your friend and groups were often made in less then 10 minutes, albeit on low Pop server it could be difficult, but removing LFG and LFR is completely viable and manageable for all intents and purposes.

You whisper each person on the list and you form a pool to create your group from plus the added adventure of making your way to the summoning stone with a group of your server comrades. WoW dungeons were a lot more fulfilling back then and you made a lot more friends as you needed to note the tanks and healers of your server to get things done in the future. WoW was a shared adventure.

My experience in BC (missed Vanilla)
LFG: LF2M for <x> need DPS and heals, g2g
me: I can DPS, can I join?
otherPlayer: lolret

That's leaving out all the DIAF variants, and the other random abuse for a polite "can I join?" I lost count of the number of attempts I made before I gave up in disgust.

I never saw the shared adventure until WotLK. BC was just atrocious.

Yeah... don't really want to give players that sort of power again.
Edited by Voronwë on 5/11/2013 4:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
05/11/2013 12:20 AMPosted by Reynà
Anyone who truly played in Vanilla knows that /who (dungeon level range) was your friend and groups were often made in less then 10 minutes,

That's a load of crap. If I couldn't get a group together from my guild I didn't do the run because even on my medium pop server back then I'd still sit in trade spamming LFG for an hour or better usually trying to find a tank.
Edited by Qamaits on 5/11/2013 4:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Dungeon finder is actully a change I aprove of the wow community being what it is, its needed. Few want the added hassel of forming a group leveling for 10 low level dungeons a day, or using the lfg tool and waiting to be contacted at odd times.

The first toon I made in wrath leveled from one to 80 without doing a single dungeon before turning 80, and forming groups in dal trade chat.

The dungeon finder was one of the first positive changes wow made, then the lfr, followed. Transmog, reforging...the are the best things wow has ever done change wise.
This is not everquest.
Edited by Hunteravalon on 5/11/2013 4:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
That's a load of crap. If I couldn't get a group together from my guild I didn't do the run because even on my medium pop server back then I'd still sit in trade spamming LFG for an hour or better usually trying to find a tank.

Or my favorite. You get a group together and someones just trolling you hardcore by leaving once the rest of the group gets there. Tanks and Healers LOVED doing this
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
05/11/2013 04:06 AMPosted by Rosenivy

Or my favorite. You get a group together and someones just trolling you hardcore by leaving once the rest of the group gets there. Tanks and Healers LOVED doing this

I got my friend to roll a tank, and I rolled a healer.

We had ULTIMATE POWER.

People would bend over backwards to keep us happy, we could play as horribly as we wanted, we could need on all the gear if we wanted...what were they going to do...leave?

HAHA

I wasn't actually horrible to people, but man playing a healer or a tank and then switching to a dps toon?

complete 180 shift in how people treated you
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
05/11/2013 04:06 AMPosted by Rosenivy

I never really ran into that. luckily I had 4 other people in my guild back then that were generally always on when I was and we would group up and chain run dungeons practically every day. The times I did have to spam /2 were some of the most annoying times I've ever had playing this game.
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
fury warriors in dps gear + shield
enhancement shamans
ret paladins in pvp gear
hunter pets
warlock pets
feral druids in resto gear
resto druid in bear form
I even tried just getting this shadow priest to soak damage

Occasionally I was one of those feral druid in resto gear but only if my guild mates really needed a tank for something. I'd never do that to 4 strangers.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I never really ran into that. luckily I had 4 other people in my guild back then that were generally always on when I was and we would group up and chain run dungeons practically every day. The times I did have to spam /2 were some of the most annoying times I've ever had playing this game.

I still can't stand the Scarlet Monastery just because that was one of the horrible level slots just player behavior wise.

Sure I started in Wrath but it was before the Looking for Dungeon was added in. I remember being stuck having to talk in chat for people.

Oh my yes lets all go back to this situation:

Me: LFM Deadmines
Trade: Kill yourself *beep can't say this here*

TRULY BETTER -_-
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]