Myth about classic Dungeoning:

100 Human Paladin
The idea was posted earlier in the thread, but it bears repeating.

"Fixing" LFD and LFR is as simple as adding a bonus for groups where most or all players are from the same realm. Make it a 20% bonus to VP, JP and reputation, and you'll both allow players to run the normal LFD or LFR and give a substantial incentive for anyone wanting to form their own groups with people they know.

Server reputations will be restored, for whatever they're worth, and nothing at all is lost.

The fix is never to remove something people have come to rely on, but to provide a good incentive to use the system you want them to move to.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Monk
But back in vanilla it took me less then 2 minutes to get a full group for tribute runs
Reply Quote
92 Troll Hunter
In all honesty that was how i ended up playing with some of my long time WoW buds. After the dungeon was over it was like "hey you guys want to do another maybe do a group quest?". The sense of community is what i miss the most out of MMO's in general.

@Voronwe

I like that idea a lot, they should do something about server populations tho. maybe, merge battle groups into one big server? idk its just a thought, I just find it frustrating i cant be in a guild with some of my friends on diff servers i have met since returning to WoW, cant even be on the same arena team
Edited by Wildboy on 5/11/2013 8:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
@Voronwe
I like that idea a lot, they should do something about server populations tho. maybe, merge battle groups into one big server? idk its just a thought, I just find it frustrating i cant be in a guild with some of my friends on diff servers i have met since returning to WoW, cant even be on the same arena team

Doing both would be good, but this specific issue would be helped by the idea I repeated (there's an earlier post by another person, and I've seen this idea many times before).

I'd also like to see auction houses go cross-realm, but that's for other threads.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
I'm sure you maintained close and intimate e-friendships with each and every one of the players you randomly whispered to tank or heal for you. Right? No! You, like me, forgot most of them the instant you dropped group. Just like LFD. Sure, on occasion you would run with a great tank or healer and would friend them for future reference, but by and large it was just a low-tech LFD.

I played through Vanilla and BC, and Wrath, and much of Cata too. The myth about classic dungeoning is the one you're perpetuating tbh. From Vanilla till now, the vast majority of all social interaction has always happened in the same places. /g chat and ventrilo.

There is a word for this line of thinking; nastalgia.
Edited by Luvbacon on 5/11/2013 8:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
60 Night Elf Rogue
i bet more than half the people in this thread didn't even play in vanilla
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The idea was posted earlier in the thread, but it bears repeating.

"Fixing" LFD and LFR is as simple as adding a bonus for groups where most or all players are from the same realm. Make it a 20% bonus to VP, JP and reputation, and you'll both allow players to run the normal LFD or LFR and give a substantial incentive for anyone wanting to form their own groups with people they know.

Server reputations will be restored, for whatever they're worth, and nothing at all is lost.

The fix is never to remove something people have come to rely on, but to provide a good incentive to use the system you want them to move to.

Why do we have to bribe people to cooperate and play together? What happened to having a sense of community and camaraderie because we shared common interests/goals?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I started in Wraith, before LFD came out. I remember I skipped out on dungeons a bit because finding a group was a bit of a pain. I did however, make a few friends along the way. We were all nearly the same level and would group up to run SM.

I also remember, being randomly asked to DPS a dungeon, accept the invite, and the long wait to find a tank or healer willing to go with us. Many groups would just fall apart. I also remember finally getting a group for Mara, during the instance freeze.. Couldn't get in and I finally found 4 other people willing to do it!

In some ways LFD is better, its faster, and easier. You don't need to log on at prime hours or be a specific class or spec to get in a group, (you don't even have to be good at your class or even a nice person to get in the group). But its missing the community server feel, me and the few I grouped with always talked in party, its a rarity to get a hello these days.
Reply Quote
50 Blood Elf Priest
Speaking as someone who joined the game back in BC with no friends and no guild, I can say that the BC community was toxic to new players. Exclusionary, insulting, abusive players were all I found when I tried to join a group ("lolret" was the nicest response I ever got, most I wouldn't repeat in polite company). I never even got to see the inside of a dungeon in BC, and gave up asking to join groups or trying to form my own.
Welcome to life.

I had the exact same experience. I didn't cry and give up though. Only grouped with people worth grouping with. Was personable. Outplayed a lot of people, got raid spots on sheer merit. Chatted with people etc.

I'm still ostensibly using the same old boys network to raid with. People who know people who know people.

It's the baddies no one will take who are nasty to people. Everyone else just doesn't talk to strangers.
Reply Quote
50 Blood Elf Priest
Why do we have to bribe people to cooperate and play together? What happened to having a sense of community and camaraderie because we shared common interests/goals?
LFD Has a 30% damage/healing buff and rewards valor at the end... That's not a bribe to use it?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
05/11/2013 08:49 PMPosted by Loans
Speaking as someone who joined the game back in BC with no friends and no guild, I can say that the BC community was toxic to new players. Exclusionary, insulting, abusive players were all I found when I tried to join a group ("lolret" was the nicest response I ever got, most I wouldn't repeat in polite company). I never even got to see the inside of a dungeon in BC, and gave up asking to join groups or trying to form my own.
Welcome to life.

I had the exact same experience. I didn't cry and give up though. Only grouped with people worth grouping with. Was personable. Outplayed a lot of people, got raid spots on sheer merit. Chatted with people etc.

I tried for a few months to get into a group, or to start one and was not successful even once. I was polite, read up on guides for the dungeons but all to no avail. I didn't even get to group with people worth grouping with, let alone outplay them.

Hard to form relationships, get a reputation and make friends if you never get to group with anyone (don't get me started on group quests).

It's good that you didn't have as horrible an experience as I did, and clearly, if you were able to get into a group (any group!) then you really didn't have the same experience as I did. Apparently mine was a particularly bad data point on the graph of players. Since then I've joined a great guild and LFD/LFR allow me to run stuff when I can't do it with the guild (which sadly is most of the time these days, curse my schedule).

I didn't "cry and give up." I gave up because after a few months of getting nowhere, I decided that players were just utter scum, and it seemed that every attempt to group only reinforced that.
Edited by Voronwë on 5/12/2013 1:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I can't speak to 2004, but I have personal experience that in 2012 SWTOR relied on /who for its LFG/LFR systems.

Train. Wreck.

WoW changed the standard in 2007, and you might as well try and crawl back into the womb now than go back to pre-LFG MMOs.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

If the options to improve the game's sense of community (apparently a big deal for many posters lately) are to either remove LFD and LFR, or to give extra incentive to get to know your fellow players, the latter option seems better for everyone.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
But back in vanilla it took me less then 2 minutes to get a full group for tribute runs
I never had problems in classic or TBC in getting 5 man groups together. Average, 15 mins. Max, an hour if we were trying to get a group for something everyone hated (shadow labs, LBRS come to mind).

I also did this odd thing where I made friends, asked if people were actively running dungeons and if they would like to group again, etc etc.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
05/11/2013 08:50 PMPosted by Loans
LFD Has a 30% damage/healing buff and rewards valor at the end... That's not a bribe to use it?

The buf is not a bribe. The buf was put in place (didnt always have it) to compensate for lower group performance due to random and lack of coms. I was here when it was put in place and the reason the blues gave for adding it.

The valor comes regardless of if its 5 random players or a full premade.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
05/12/2013 01:41 AMPosted by Ramt
I never had problems in classic or TBC in getting 5 man groups together. Average, 15 mins. Max, an hour if we were trying to get a group for something everyone hated (shadow labs, LBRS come to mind).

I also did this odd thing where I made friends, asked if people were actively running dungeons and if they would like to group again, etc etc.

Have you noticed the "I have no WoW friends" threads popping up lately? And how many people responding in them are in the same boat?

Hmmm...
Edited by Rottingbull on 5/12/2013 1:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
i don't know a bout you but someone that i have never met before whispering me about going to a dungeon sounds a little...off

I have to agree with you on that. Sounds like the beginning of a really bad creepypasta.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Someone obviously didn't play classic WoW.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]