The Blight of Cenarius

90 Goblin Shaman
So as many of you have probably noticed, Horde side Cenarius is dead. Like, supremely dead.
I think currently (and is probably even more so now that MMPH has gone to Hyjal) that there is an Alliance to Horde ratio of 17/1
According to realmpop.com, Alliance has an outstanding 73% of the population on this server
http://puu.sh/2ToDp.png

After MoP released and the larger guilds either disbanded or server transfered Horde side has been terrible here. Our economy sucks, getting higher level enchants can be a pain if one of my guildies isn't on.

What do you guys think is the cause of this downfall? I have been on this server for the past 8 years, since Vanilla (My main used to be the Orc Warrior Magnavox) and it used to be an amazing server, full of interesting people and hardcore dedicated raiders.

What can we do to breathe life back into Horde side? We need some competition!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
We've taken in 50+ new guildies in short order since Cenarius was switched to New Player status. Pwny Express is here to stay. Cenarius will survive. Now, if we can just get rid of CRZ's taking our quest and profession mats.
Reply Quote
Children of the Damned will most likely leave Cenarius by early June.

We've practically had to stop progression raids due to being 1-2 short each week, and cannot for the life of us drain any more blood out of this stone.

We've been here on Cenarius since March 2005, so it saddens me that it will have to go like this, but unless more action (and less talk) happens a brief period after 5.3 from Blizzard around this apparent "solution" (its not just Horde Cenarius affected right now), we will just add to the problem and move elsewhere.

I'm not expecting much though, so we will start preparing for the move. Blizzard will make good money out of our transfer.

Fatcat/Endcat/Alchemius
Edited by Fatcat on 5/16/2013 5:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman

I think currently (and is probably even more so now that MMPH has gone to Hyjal) that there is an Alliance to Horde ratio of 17/1
According to realmpop.com, Alliance has an outstanding 73% of the population on this server

73% = 16/17 now?

I'm all in favor of server mergers, but it is clear that your perception of the situation is skewed to overvalue raiders. MMPH represented less than 1% of the faction. In the age of LFR, LFG, and CRZ; raid progression is a very poor gauge of faction/server health.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman

73% = 16/17 now?

I'm all in favor of server mergers, but it is clear that your perception of the situation is skewed to overvalue raiders. MMPH represented less than 1% of the faction. In the age of LFR, LFG, and CRZ; raid progression is a very poor gauge of faction/server health.

Uhm, What? No I'm saying there are 17 alliance to every 1 horde.

It's not just the raider core that has disappeared from this server. The shrine is ALWAYS EMPTY. I go to other servers on cross-server invites and it's packed. There are barely any auctions up compared to how it used to be.
The raiders have left Cenarius, the casuals have stopped playing (WoW's total player base is down to 8mil, from the previous 11+mil), and overall interest in Cenarius has faded.

When you go from being a LAUNCH server for 8 years, and then you get put on "New Players" status, there is something wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Unfortunately I don't think there's anything that we the players can really do about this. Just as much as we do not wish to pay money to transfer off of our realm, there wouldn't be any reason for someone to pay money to transfer TO our realm. Furthermore, despite that fact that most players do not enjoy the low population experience some actually do.

I hate to be so passive but it seems like we'll have to wait to see if the "plans" that Ghostcrawler alluded to in the live Q&A recently will save the day. In the mean time I'll continue to have fun hanging out with my guildies. :)
Reply Quote
93 Human Priest
According to Warcraft Realms and not sure how up to date the stats are but, the server I'm on only has combined total of 4,826 Alliance and Horde players (A: 2,982, H: 1,844). The cities are never packed with players like it once was.

Whereas Cenarius server has 27,404 total (A: 17,257, H: 10,147).

True, not all 27,404 players on Cenarius of both factions are on at the same time, but I would rather be part of a server knowing there is a larger population overall.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
i found warcraft realms to be less accurate than relampop imo.

That being said ally side is awesome compared to the server I transfered from.

Should definetly merge realms really the only way to fix problems like this or alllow free server transfers from one realm(horde only or ally only depending on the server) to a server that needs the people.

How the hell this is going to work is beyond me but I Wish they'd do something to fix the dead and dieing realms cause then well I May have never left mine to begin with..

But in the few days I've been here seems like a good place to stake a claim. (Ally side of course sorry horde guys)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin

But in the few days I've been here seems like a good place to stake a claim. (Ally side of course sorry horde guys)

Hey, no worries. We horde aren't big fans of the urban life, anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
We've definitely fallen off a cliff in raiding over the last several years. At one point we were ranked like 7th in US overall raiding progression. Now we're ranked 141st.

Theoretically though, at some point in the next year, a lot of these pressures should be alleviated. As Flex raiding allows you to pull from cross-realm, doesn't it? They're talking about combining AH of low-pop factions etc.

I don't know how far they plan to take it in WoW, but I would assume their plans for Titan are that character names will be non-unique, instead tied to our battle.net ID. And similar to the CRZ tech, there may not even be "servers" to speak of in the traditional sense. Other than maybe breaking people down by timezone ALA battle.net by US-West, US-East, etc.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Cenarius is dead all together, not just horde
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Cenarius is dead all together, not just horde

lol, you've clearly never played on a dead server
Reply Quote
85 Pandaren Hunter
It's low population, but that isn't really a bad thing all told.

Since we have linked dungeons and bgs to help with those things.

Sure questing can be meh, but with the CRZ system that gets okayish... to down right arggh!

But in the end it works out okay horde side, versus being one of the multitude that gets lost in the mix alliance side
Reply Quote
2 Gnome Mage
A lot of people feel that even Alliance side is "dead", but that's just because all their old friends are gone. I don't know if it was the New Player status or what, but population wise Cenarius is as lively as ever.
Reply Quote
85 Pandaren Hunter
A lot of people feel that even Alliance side is "dead", but that's just because all their old friends are gone. I don't know if it was the New Player status or what, but population wise Cenarius is as lively as ever.

yet another reason I rolled again horde side... most of my old friends and guild had poofed... so starting fresh helped.

Nothing like logging in and having "friend removed as character no longer exists" x18 and to find out your old guild is just gone... and the only two guild mates still around are the guild's mascot player (think court jester, who never really got the game) and the only raider that was blocked from using the guild bank... (let ya figure out why)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Unfortunately I don't think there's anything that we the players can really do about this. Just as much as we do not wish to pay money to transfer off of our realm, there wouldn't be any reason for someone to pay money to transfer TO our realm. Furthermore, despite that fact that most players do not enjoy the low population experience some actually do.

I am not sure why people think this realm is in so much trouble. Granted there is a low horde population there are still a LOT of active people looking to raid. Project Mayhem is running two solid ten mans. One has completed MSV and is on to HoF and the other is 4 bosses down into MSV. Are we serious progression raiding in ToT yet? No, but the guild is barely two months old. We are also about two weeks out from starting up a third ten man as we have that many fresh 90's who are looking to raid and are getting geared. Twenty five man raiding starts next month for us.

I think the attitude is wrong for old school raiders tbh. You have to be willing to teach others. This has been designated a "new player" server so as long as you are willing to go slowly through content while people learn mechanics and get geared I think you will find that this server has a WONDERFUL group of fresh players to pull from.

As to the comment about people not wanting to pay to transfer... 5 people out of my second ten man paid to transfer to this server. Most ex-hardcore progression raiders that are looking for a more friendly crowd. Additionally these players brought multiple characters.

If we change the way we treat each other on this server I think you will see a difference in the "blight." If we redefine how we look at the new player and see potential instead of just going "O servers dead" because some heavy top end progression guilds left your bound to only see the negative.

Project Mayhem is here to stay. Server has been a pleasure, not a nightmare for many as this thread would imply.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
I wouldn't gauge your success on six-month old content a realistic reflection of the raiding health of Horde side on Cenarius.

I agree with some that Flex will give Hordies more opportunities for more contact with more Hordies. Other than that, Flex may alleviate some other issues but we'll have to see how Blizz plans to fully introduce the concept.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Wasnt referring to success of our raid groups as a gauge for server success. I was referring to the fact that the server isnt in bad condition and that there has been an influx of new ACTIVE players. These active players can contibute to the economy improving, server progression increasing and a general QOL improvement on this server. I was mearly showing that my own experience has been that the server has seen growth, is getting better and has more population. As long as we keep a new player friendly enviroment and encourage new players to participate the down turn that is being discussed here should see a change for the positive. (In my opinion already is positive.)
Reply Quote
2 Gnome Mage
Wasnt referring to success of our raid groups as a gauge for server success. I was referring to the fact that the server isnt in bad condition and that there has been an influx of new ACTIVE players. These active players can contibute to the economy improving, server progression increasing and a general QOL improvement on this server. I was mearly showing that my own experience has been that the server has seen growth, is getting better and has more population. As long as we keep a new player friendly enviroment and encourage new players to participate the down turn that is being discussed here should see a change for the positive. (In my opinion already is positive.)

I like your attitude.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman

I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that much of what's been said in this thread revolves around current tier raiding. Encouraging new players into the raid scene can't hurt things, but realistically it will take a long time to turn that around into the kind of raiding success that causes quality players to transfer to Cenarius-Horde.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]