magma trap

90 Goblin Warlock
magma trap needs to be nerfed next patch. there is NO reason it should go off from tidal wave magma wave , death grip. the waves are suppposed to remove objects from the battlefield not trigger them. besides some low powerd dots thats the only ability that has a 100% chance to damage one of your pets. with the small exception of the rare occurance that you have a rabbit or similar and vanish first turn without it going off then it going off the next turn. thats very unlikely.

EVERY move should have a way to avoid it especially if you are wiling to swap pets.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Places a magma trap onto the ground. Opponents have a chance to trigger the trap each time they attack.

When the opponent triggers the trap, they will take 20 Elemental damage and be unable to attack for 1 round.

tidal Wave, Magma Wave, and Death Grip are all attack moves...and therefore all have the possibility of triggering the magma trap.

Every move should NOT be able to counter it, otherwise the move would be completely useless instead of just situational.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I think he just isn't phrasing it right. If I use magma trap, and then use magma wave, it will proc magma trap on the enemy every time, which seems counter-intuitive. I would have thought that destroying the trap would be a drawback for using magma wave, but because it always procs that is not the case.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
I always thought it was rather strange. I've used Lil Rag for a while with both Trap and the Wave. And Wave obviously triggers it, which I guess works if you use Lil Rag. But it does say it's supposed to clear the field the way enchanted broom does.

I always thought this was intentional to keep Lil Rag viable outside immolate/conflag (what most people use him for). My question is, does the trap get triggered if other pets use a field clearing move such as magma/tidal wave?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
I always thought this was intentional to keep Lil Rag viable outside immolate/conflag (what most people use him for). My question is, does the trap get triggered if other pets use a field clearing move such as magma/tidal wave?

yes
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Its not just magma trap, Wolvars snap trap also behaves in the same way. So stack them up!

Given that the we cant anticipate when the trap will trigger due to the timing being randomised already makes it hard to counter and given that it also includes both damage and a stun I'd have to agree with the OP.

edit: Just to clarify Im not againt a user setting and triggering there own trap its kinda cool, but I feel they need to take a another look at this mechanic with a view to making it less annoying to the opponent.
Edited by Primuslazen on 5/15/2013 4:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
It is kinda silly how effective this is. I don't have Lil Rag, but I do have a team set up for controlled demolition using the wolvar pup and broom. Just swap in a fresh pet with Sweep and then Clean-up for a total of around 800 damage plus a stun.

I should point out that it would be rather odd for a Lil Rag to be able to undermine itself, but yeah - there is no way to actually counter a trap beyond spamming evasion/burrow moves and hoping you get lucky.
Edited by Wiff on 5/15/2013 5:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
I am not sure what else I would expect setting off a trap someone is standing on to do.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
I wouldn't call it very effective, but it does work well on occasion. But at least on Lil Rag I usually end up moving to Immolate/Conflag instead... more guaranteed damage.

My problem with the trap is that I had fights where it didn't go off at all, a little too random. But times when it goes off when I want it to, it's really cool. Nothing is better than a trap going off vs KLR who is about to stun you. and finishing him off in a few turns with sons of flame.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
im not against the ability as a whole it has its place. i just think that it should have a way to get rid of it. i dont think any move should have 0 counters.

if i use tidal wave not setting trap off by performing attack it will still explode upon removal...thats bs
Edited by Shadowsedict on 5/15/2013 11:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
An extremely rng move with a longer cooldown that can be set off predictable from both sides therefore counterable seems like something that is op? Oh and they have to take a very light hitting aoe to make it work and have very little offense otherwise to boot. Yea this seems like a stretch for something to complain about.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
yes its something to complain about. they are tweaking pet battles little by little and our feedback and opinions matter. having a move with no way to get around it isnt acceptable. every move should have a way to avoid it at least from the front row. not to say you will bring the counter to the battle but at least there should be one available.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
05/16/2013 12:37 AMPosted by Shadowsedict
every move should have a way to avoid it at least from the front row.

If you can't see when a wave is coming after a trap and use an avoidance move I am not sure how any move is uncountable by that definition.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
its funny how hard u are defending a solid point. which is... magma wave, etc should not trigger it but remove it. get over yourself you remind me of surrender or whatever his name was.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
i dont think any move should have 0 counters.

I'm not honestly sure if it's intended that Wave procs the stun from Magma Trap, but it also works w/ the Wolvar Pup's Snap Trap ability if you have a move that clears objects.

However, Feign Death, fast pets w/ Dodge or a Lift-Off / Burrow type move (Rabbits come to mind), and Deflection can all counter the Magma Trap + Magma Wave combo.

I'm sure there are other strategies to deal w/ this, but these are the easiest counters that came to mind.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
yes but they cant counter magma trap ....they can only hope that the person uses magma wave next turn to pop it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
magma wave, etc should not trigger it but remove it

All removal powers have always detonated the stuff they swept off the field. Only two of those two the pet actually stands on and you only called one of those two out.

And if it was a solid point I wouldn't have had the counter of, you have to take two powers, one light hitting, one long recharge heavy rng power, and it is telegraphed therefore counterable the same as any other power. This isn't a new change. This has worked this way since day one to be completely as intended. Should we also change deathgrip so that it doesn't make minefield go off?

get over yourself you remind me of surrender or whatever his name was.

Sorry mister I made suggestion that got names put on them I picked out so I matter more than you, didn't know this was your forum.....

Also surrender would I hope at least get half the laugh out of the two of being compared to each other that I did. I kind of miss having the guy around though all we did most the time was argue. At least he put solid facts and math to work instead of stomping his feet and holding his breath and saying this doesn't work the way I want it.
Edited by Hearus on 5/16/2013 1:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
yes but they cant counter magma trap ....they can only hope that the person uses magma wave next turn to pop it.

Prediction is the best counter in the game, for any pet.

If you really want, you could just use a Critter against him and take reduced damage from the Magma Wave and not get stunned at all. Is that better?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
if i use tidal wave not setting trap off by performing attack it will still explode upon removal...thats bs

I always thought that's how it worked. But I never ran into anyone who used Tidal Wave so I never tested it. Report it as a bug if you think it is.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]