tanks in rbgs

90 Human Monk
tanks are being nerfed as FC's in Rbgs, making their position questionable in an Rbg.
While they still have the defensive CDs to survive, the damage will catch up at a faster rate.

To off set this, I believe tanks should have a "raid" utility brought to their taunt spells.

Suggestion: When using [taunt] on player X, causes the player the inability to attack any other player besides the tank for 8 seconds. After 8 seconds, the taunt breaks and is free to attack anyone else. Causes a X minute CD on [taunt] and is affected by diminishing returns.

This would bring tanks some utility to the rbg, give them a raid CD to save their allies and gives a reason to have a tank spec'd teammate past 5.3

Of course, this would only work if your in a tank spec. That way classes whom have taunts outside of a tank tree cannot abuse this CD.

This would apply a large CD on all of the taunts so that they can't be spammed.
If an aoe taunt is used, the duration of the immunity would be decreased per player affected (or only affect up to 4 players).

example (single): A rogue is attacking a healer who is at 30% health. A gaurdian druid uses growl on the rogue, causing it to be unable to attack its current target (healer) for 8 seconds or until it attacks the tank once. Gaurdian druids taunts are now on a 3 minute CD. The rogue is now less affected by such interrupts such as disarms. A rogue can avoid the growl mechanic by using smoke bomb.

example (aoe): A brewmaster monk uses his taunt on his Ox statue, causing his statue to use its AoE taunt ability. The taunt affects 4 enemies that are currently attacking a target for 2 seconds (or must attack the tank quickly for the immunity to end). This causes the Brewmasters' taunts to go in a 3 minutes CD. This is affected by Diminishing Returns.

This would purely be a raid survivability CD, and could not logically be used as a defensive CD for the tank. This is because if the tank were to use the taunt on the person currently attacking him, the 8 seconds wouldn't apply due to the player currently attacking the tank (you must attack the tank once for the growl interrupt to go away or wait the X seconds).
Edited by Hitmönlee on 5/16/2013 10:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Been suggested a hundred times, blizzard has more or less said 'tanks stay out of pvp, you don't belong there'.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I seem to remember something similar in Star Wars, but it's been quite a while since I played that so take it with a few grains of salt. If I remember correctly, if a tank taunted a player in PvP, that player got a debuff of sorts that drastically reduced the damage they did on anything other than the tank that taunted for x amount of seconds.

But like Darpa said, doubt anything like that's gonna happen.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Yeah, this isn't the kind of adjustment that you'll get compensated for somewhere else.

This is the kind of nerf that's supposed to stop you from doing what you're doing.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
its ok tanks are still useful in dungeons, you know the ones theyre not gonna make anymore
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
its ok tanks are still useful in dungeons, you know the ones theyre not gonna make anymore

I like the way you think.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Careful now... your teenage angst is showing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Leave the PvP to the DerPS... give me better PvE content: compelling quest lines, choices that feel important.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Leave the PvP to the DerPS... give me better PvE content: compelling quest lines, choices that feel important.

My favorite is when solo quests (i.e. shado-pan) and scenarios (i.e. legendary meta) have an NPC that taunts for you. It's not frustrating at all to know blizz just assumes you'd rather dps or heal.

Though my current peeve is warlock and hunter pets taking my aggro when I'm trying to tank a faction-tapped rare mob (i.e. the kor'kron commanders).

I wonder what they'll replace tank specs with in the next expac.. >_>;
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
i have lots of tank gear, but thier emphasis on solo play or group play that doesnt need tanks is just lame.
Edited by Onslaht on 5/25/2013 2:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
05/23/2013 02:14 PMPosted by Laryn

My favorite is when solo quests (i.e. shado-pan) and scenarios (i.e. legendary meta) have an NPC that taunts for you. It's not frustrating at all to know blizz just assumes you'd rather dps or heal.

Though my current peeve is warlock and hunter pets taking my aggro when I'm trying to tank a faction-tapped rare mob (i.e. the kor'kron commanders).

I wonder what they'll replace tank specs with in the next expac.. >_>;

/facepalm

Not everyone has a Tank spec... but everyone has a DPS spec, so when the choice for quest lines means setting up an NPC that Tanks for you or an NPC that is squishy but DPSes for you... it only makes sense to go with the much more common option. Plus DPS is designed for soloing as well and is generally the default build for questing, not Tanking/Healing.

Oh and those Shado-Pan NPCs? Yeah you don't have to take the strictly Tank-focused one, the Arms Warrior does plenty of damage without trying to hog the aggro. And I guess we'll just forget about the NPCs that cast/heal/stab/etc for the other quests in that same hub...

/sigh

i have lots of tank gear, but thier emphasis on solo play or group play that doesnt need tanks is just lame.

There is no emphasis on group play that doesn't require a Tank. Solo play has NEVER required a Tank. Do you guys complain just to complain without even having legitimate facts to back it up?
Edited by Fasc on 5/25/2013 10:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
05/25/2013 10:23 AMPosted by Fasc
when the choice for quest lines means setting up an NPC that Tanks for you or an NPC that is squishy but DPSes for you... it only makes sense to go with the much more common option.

So just because I chose to be a tank means I have to worry about a secondary spec and gear set? I can do most quests better as prot anyway, and I should be allowed to do so because I prefer tanking to dps - isn't gaming about fun?

Oh and those Shado-Pan NPCs? Yeah you don't have to take the strictly Tank-focused one

I'm aware of that, and wasn't referring to the standard dailies; the exalted final quest chain, however, brings all of the NPCs. Besides, that was all simply one example. How about the brawler's guild? Can't progress unless you have a good dps gear set. Nearly all solo content with any modicum of difficulty is built for dps. Which leaves all the players who prefer tanking and healing sitting around either skipping it or having to work harder to experience it. While all the dps, who already have it easy, can likely just swap around a talent or two.
Just because everyone has the option of being dps doesn't really mean that everything outside raids should just be based around it. /sigh
Edited by Laryn on 5/27/2013 11:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
05/27/2013 11:32 AMPosted by Laryn
Besides, that was all simply one example. How about the brawler's guild? Can't progress unless you have a good dps gear set.

Design requirement. It's a test of your solo combat skills, but it's also a social circle and spectator event. It has to have a chance at killing you, it has to keep the queue moving, and it has to be interesting to watch.

That all excludes the prot style of being invincible but taking forever to wet noodle your opponent to death.

Well, except for the giraffe fight.

05/27/2013 11:32 AMPosted by Laryn
Nearly all solo content with any modicum of difficulty is built for dps.

Aside from Brawler's Guild, there's....?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
05/27/2013 12:23 PMPosted by Nerfheals
Design requirement.

Blizz could have given the option of having spectators or queuing for a solo scenario, like the Isle of Thunder quest chain. Or maybe design something for tanks and healers. Granted, that would go against the idea of allowing everyone a chance to experience the content, so how about restricting the ilvl, then? Keep the skill requirement without needing raid gear, a sort of solo challenge mode. Heck, they could have even just made brawler gear that everyone had to use for the fights.
Of course, they could also make tank/healing stats good for the respective dps specs (yes, I know I'm a haste-a-din, but I'm going for a more general point, sort of how the sha-touched gems didn't have a stam option..). Though, that's a whole other discussion not worth getting into.

Aside from Brawler's Guild, there's....?

Alright, point taken. Guess I'd just prefer some more solo content. I suppose in my frustration I lumped together some issues and exaggerated; my apologies. Though, originally this thread was about tanks in rbgs (more generally, pvp at all), and the changes just add to my dissatisfaction about how the tanking spec is restricted to raids, despite player preference. Reminds me about why blizz made the satchels for heroic dungeon queues - but making tanking an increasingly secondary spec is only going to make the number of tanks dwindle.
Edited by Laryn on 5/27/2013 2:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
What you suggest has been in use in Star Wars from the begining. Its a very simple mechanic actually. You taunt an enemy player and it applies a debuff that cannot be dispelled. If they attack anyone other than you, they do 20% less damage. That pretty signifigant in pvp, but this did not apply to aoe taunts. Not even sure if SWtoR even had aoe taunts. But the idea is solid and very useful. Worried about dps using it? Well, I dont see the problem there, but fine add a 5% damage buff while attacking you. A tank wouldnt have to worry about that, but a dps damn sure would.
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
I'll let you know when I give a !@#$ about RBGs.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]