Question.. Will it receive a LOGICAL answer?

90 Night Elf Hunter
SRH
As time went on Blizzard realized it was the human player doing all the work. A human player was investing his time and subscription money to enjoy this game. That they decided that a player with mulltiple character would allow all that hard work to be shared amongst that players Main character and its Alts. Therefore by creating Heirloom Items, shared mount collecting, shared acheivment status, accomendation coins that allows a players alt to receive 100% more rep with a faction.. etc etc etc the list goes on and on. A epic item that only effect warlock can be farmed and sold to warlocks as a BOE item.... the list goes on and on. There was blizzard logic behind these decisions. So I ask Blizzard this. Or a fellow player who can answer in a non trolling attitude. WHY ARE SPIRITS of HARMONY and MOTES of HARMONY not at least BOA?

I have a Main who is a Miner and a Herblist. I have alts with engineering and blacksmithing and enchanting. My main has the majority of these collected. Due to the fact that he has no use for them. But his alts desperately need them. And the only option his has is to spend them at a vendor. When I would benefit from their use a lot more if I could give them to my alts.

Again.. based on past actions and the theme of logic used on other sharing methods. WHy are MoH and SoH BOP and not at least BOA. Hell I would be happier if I could at least combined 3 BOP Spirits of Harmony into 1 BOE Spirit of Harmony. Something other than the current status.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Because Motes and Spirits don't really apply to your account as a whole. It's a material like herbs, ores, skins, etc. While those are open freely, you have to remember they're open to everyone, not just your account, therefore it's not an account bound item. It's meant to be a rare material.

I hope I made sense, it made sense in my head xD
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Would be nice, and they'll probably adjust it when they introduce their next BoP crafting mat next xpac or the one after. Like chaos orbs used to be. And whatever else we don't use nowadays.

They already gave us a solution with Mists, from the beginning. For now, get your crafting alts to 90 and grow motes on your farm. It's a very painless way to get gobs of motes daily.

It would be nice but not really needed. We have alternatives in place.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
SRH
ah lets find a way to force our player to do activities in the game they may not want to do. Lets make pve people pvp. lets make pvp pve. lets make engineers and BSs grow a garden.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
SRH
Sorry. But I do not see the logic. Its a looted item earned from killing a mob. Its a item that will assist my alts in skilling thier profession. Hierlooms are items that help my alts level. Why prevent my alts from this?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
OK, now you're just whining. It's a rare material, and professions are different when it comes to account-wide things. As Vixie pointed out, you can reach Revered with Tillers and buy the Mote seeds and plant it on your farm. You don't have to be Exalted just Revered. You don't understand the meaning of "rare" do you? It loses its "rare" flavor when it can just alt hop.

EDIT: Also, BoEs that are made from said profession requiring the Spirits are high in market because of its value.
Edited by Aaeiyn on 5/10/2013 1:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
ah lets find a way to force our player to do activities in the game they may not want to do. Lets make pve people pvp. lets make pvp pve. lets make engineers and BSs grow a garden.

I have every profession maxed across characters, double/triple of some of the same prof maxed among them too. It's really not a big deal. And why is it unusual to do stuff you may not want to? This aspect is found in practically everything in life, including video games. There is no video game in existence that is not subject to someone not finding it fun.

Sorry. But I do not see the logic. Its a looted item earned from killing a mob. Its a item that will assist my alts in skilling thier profession. Hierlooms are items that help my alts level. Why prevent my alts from this?

You have an alternative to maxing to 600 without using spirits. In fact, there's no profession that requires spirits to skill up. So you can't really use that as any sort of basis to point out a need to change them from BoP. If they do make it that way some day, then great... but if they don't it's not a big deal.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
We like that people enjoy having alts. It's been a personal hobby of mine to continually level characters, and it's of course something a lot of people do. However, in some ways it works against some game systems that are intended to be a part of the MMO experience. Professions are one such system.

The intent with professions is that you can only have two, and for all the other professions you don't have you have to work with others within the game to get what you need. Say you're a blacksmith, and you can make an item another player or even that player's profession needs, and that interplay creates interpersonal interactions and even those small interactions feed into the larger social experience. Over the years a number of things have changed and lessened those interactions based around professions, but probably none more impactful than alts. With good intentions to help people catch up to the end-game, it of course allows for people to have more alts with more professions, which in turn reduces reliance on others and shrinks the reasons you have to interact with others.

Most people don't keep tons of alts geared up for end-game, but quite a few do have alts that are there to help 'feed' their one or two main characters. Which is where the binding comes in. You're playing on one character, getting motes/spirits, and wanting to transfer those to alts to make stuff, which then feeds back to your main in either the items made, or the gold from selling them. That's totally understandable, but really fundamentally goes against the intent of profession limits. It can also lessen the personal value of playing and connecting with a character. When you have everything, your personal connection to any one of those things is diluted, and you naturally care a little less about each.

I understand that may be a hard sell because it's a limitation and not letting people do whatever they want, but it's at least logical. I think it is, anyway. :) Maybe one solution is we could say you can only have two professions per Battle.net account! And really strong arm people into it, but of course that'd be a pretty negative change in taking so much away. Instead saying here's an item that we really want you to earn and use on the character you're playing and obtained it with to reinforce the value in playing that character (and not just shipping items off to crafting alts). People still have crafting alts, of course, and some choose to play them a little just to seek out the motes/spirits, and that's ok. What we don't want is to encourage the notion that you can just play one character and keep a cadre of alts that ensure you have everything you'll ever need. Working with others to achieve great things is by and large the overarching point of these kinds of games.

All that said we have tended to remove the soulbinding of these types of crafting materials as the expansion that introduced them draws to an end.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Bashiok.

5.3...it's time.

Make it happen, dude. :)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I understand that may be a hard sell because it's a limitation and not letting people do whatever they want, but it's at least logical. I think it is, anyway. :) Maybe one solution is we could say you can only have two professions per Battle.net account!

While I understand the logic I think that ship has sailed. If Blizzard forced us to only have two profs. I would be pretty pissed that I would lose about 7-8 max level profs on my alts.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
But..logical doesn't always mean FUN or enjoyable : ( Shouldn't we be getting a little more fun and enjoyment out of a game?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
05/10/2013 02:19 PMPosted by Bashiok
The intent with professions is that you can only have two, and for all the other professions you don't have you have to work with others within the game to get what you need.

This kind of falls down when some professions are universally useful to everyone all the time (enchanting, jewelcrafting, to a lesser extent alchemy and inscription), some have a niche need which can be filled once or are useful to only a couple classes (blacksmithing, leatherworking, tailoring) and some have exceptionally limited use (engineering).
Edited by Belorion on 5/10/2013 2:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I agree with the OP mainly because there was a crafting item that you got from bosses that was originally bop back in cata or wrath I can't remember whicn right now. THen they saw sense and made it BOE. This item makes complete sense to be BOE or BOA. The rare material argument isn't valid at all. There are plenty of rare materials there are sold for tons so not a good argument. So my argument to the blue post about it being logically isn't true becuase you went against that logic in the past.
Edited by Kyppa on 5/10/2013 2:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Most people don't keep tons of alts geared up for end-game, but quite a few do have alts that are there to help 'feed' their one or two main characters. Which is where the binding comes in. You're playing on one character, getting motes/spirits, and wanting to transfer those to alts to make stuff, which then feeds back to your main in either the items made, or the gold from selling them. That's totally understandable, but really fundamentally goes against the intent of profession limits

Why even think of limiting it like that.... I have alts with differing professions and make stuff for my guild members. My BS might make a whole stack of belt buckles and put them in the GB for all the leveling leather workers. The problem isn't so much in the evening when most of the players are on (well last night only 2 guild members logged in for less than an hour so it is getting pretty lonely out lately), but in the middle of the night or in the early morning when nobody else is on. You have to rely on the AH or an alt. And the AH prices are often so inflated they can take a hike. I made a JC and filled an entire bank tab with cut and uncut gems.

If I see someone in trade wanting a set of mail PVP gear I will most likely hop on my LW and craft a set for them... Is that not social interaction? If my account was limited to two profs I'd have to go "sorry dude, I'm a miner/engineer, want a gun I can craft but can't use because I am a gnome for the engineering racial" Maybe through the blinders of vanilla when they were thinking about people only playing one character, that made sense. Those days are long long gone now and people have multiple mains so how does that logic even apply (any more so than the logic of gnomes having an engineering racial but not being able to be hunters so they can even use the very guns they create.. some of which are BOP).
Edited by Magnata on 5/10/2013 2:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The intent with professions is that you can only have two, and for all the other professions you don't have you have to work with others within the game to get what you need.

That might have been what you intended but it is not what the game is right now. Right now I need Enhancing, Tailoring, Inscription, Blacksmithing, and Jewel crafting just to take care of my main. If I get a new item I need to do several things to it to make it ready for raiding. I do not want to spend 500g on a gem every time I get a new item. God forbid I am running a toon with too specs. Now I am getting even MORE gear I have to spend money on.

It can also lessen the personal value of playing and connecting with a character. When you have everything, your personal connection to any one of those things is diluted, and you naturally care a little less about each.

Funny you use the EXACT opposite argument about dailies. If I do not want to grind dailies because the RNG gods have cursed me and I have nothing else I can do but dailies I am supposed to just hop to an alt and play there for a while. Which one is it? You can not use it one way for dailies and then use it the other way for this.

Working with others to achieve great things is by and large the overarching point of these kinds of games.

Then how to you explain all the talk of "Competition" and "Having to work for it" when you try and justify CRZ? Am I supposed to work together with people or is everything a race for resources? And please do not use a guild as an excuse. That is telling me I must be in a guild to do anything.
Reply Quote
11 Draenei Paladin
Grow songbell on your farm you will have more spirit of harmony than you will know what to do with.

Working with others to achieve great things is by and large the overarching point of these kinds of games.

When it comes to taking down a raid boss or a pvp objective (I guess) I would tend to agree. Relying on a cast of other people to meet all your profession needs, not so much.

Example, What an amazing fight that was, it was so close it could have went either way, it feels great to have finally beat that boss, you guys are great, what a team, what a game!

Profession example, I have mats, does anyone have this recipe? Anyone, guildies? I will tip for your time, guess I am off to trade chat..... several hours to days later, oh great I finally got that thing made, by a person I will most likely never see again, why did I want this?

So ya I have a full stable of alts specifically to cover all professions.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]