500 Item level but I can't get past 50k dps?

90 Dwarf Paladin
I'm not saying people who use the addon are bad, but the addon itself is bad practice. The players are fully capable of learning how to do rotations without addons but they're too lazy or have excuses for whatever reason, that's what's bad.

But you're essentially saying that it is impossible to have CLC up and not stare at it, which leads to ignoring important mechanics, which makes a player bad. Which is all only theoretical, not absolute. The same could be said of DBM - people stare too hard at the warning bars trying to get ready for the next mechanic and fail to the previous mechanic. Does it happen? Yes. Is it bad to do that? Yes. It's the same situation - and, believe it or not, a lot of mechanics can be internalized, too.

05/12/2013 05:37 PMPosted by Apospathi
Stop calling it a rotation.

"Rotation" is the traditional term, and will likely never fall from the vernacular even if the cyclic nature is no longer present. Just like move trailers, in a way. They originally took on the name because they followed (read: trailed) films at the cinema; now, they come first but are still called trailers.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
clc is great for the very basics. or a good way to monitior inq. i noticed it will tell you to refresh inq when there is more then enough time to squeeze out a couple more globals. the addon isnt perfect but it is decent for new rets. also i noticed the op is going for socket bonuses. no a terribad idea, however you will get more out of pure haste..still wondering about some of the reforg choices that he or she has made
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Stop calling it a rotation. It's not a rotation. We have a priority and it is completely legitimate to have an addon in your back pocket to help you with your priority, especially one as highly customizable as clclinfo (ret).

As with any addon, do not follow it blindly. People tunnel, its nature, don't blame the addon.

Did I mention we don't have a rotation? Okay, well in case I didn't we don't have a rotation, we have a priority system.

Cool story dude. I had no idea paladins use a Prio system. Here I have been all along getting the two mixed up.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Wow thanks for all the tips and stuff.
I have taken off CLCret as well as smash my head against a wall and forgot everything I've ever read on nixxoc =P
I will also keep practicing.My dps did go up a bit it's just I don't want to be that guy in a raid that has crap dps and is dragging everyone down with him.
Thank you to everyone that put logical responses on here!
You all deserve cookies
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
also i noticed the op is going for socket bonuses. no a terribad idea, however you will get more out of pure haste

No.

The OP is gemming correctly, socket bonuses should almost always be met, any strength or secondary stats gained is worth enough to us to make it worth it over gemming straight Haste.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
The OP is gemming correctly, socket bonuses should almost always be met, any strength or secondary stats gained is worth enough to us to make it worth it over gemming straight Haste.

Except where hit/expertise grossly over the caps becomes and issue, this.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Uninstall CLCret and get good at knowing the actual rotation yourself, you'll have an increase in damage.

Using addons to determine your rotation is stupid. We use a priority based system, get used to it so that it's second nature instead of needing to look at what lights up, if you don't do that you'll fail all heroic mechanics.

Going to agree with this.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I don't understand why people bash noxxic so much? I used to for help in ret since it's my offspec and I do around 70k dps in crappy 476 gear, and I gemmed, reforged, and glyphed and did the rotations that noxxic said. But I don't care anyway, ret if my OS for when I'm bored anyway.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Theres nothing wrong with CLCRet as long as you dont take it as gospel, I use it so I can keep track of other crap thats more important, like not standing in fire
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Did I mention we don't have a rotation? Okay, well in case I didn't we don't have a rotation, we have a priority system.

Can you explain this whole priority system do you mean like differnt moves at different time or something?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
05/14/2013 10:40 AMPosted by Varlund

Can you explain this whole priority system do you mean like differnt moves at different time or something?

Some buttons are better to push than others when you have multiple options avaliable

If you only have Crusader Strike off of cool down, press that

If you have Crusader strike and Exorcism both off cooldown at the same time, hit Exorcism, it has a higher priority.

Stuff like that
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
I don't understand why people bash noxxic so much? I used to for help in ret since it's my offspec and I do around 70k dps in crappy 476 gear, and I gemmed, reforged, and glyphed and did the rotations that noxxic said. But I don't care anyway, ret if my OS for when I'm bored anyway.

Because Noxxic is often wrong. Their Ret guide isn't too bad other than a few bits of bad advice (like gemming expertise), but it's also a couple patches out of date now.

You have to take their guides with a bucket of salt due to their terrible fact-checking and slow update speed. In general, the guides here or on fansites are much better than what Noxxic will have because they actually go into detail, update often, and make sure what they say is correct.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
05/14/2013 10:40 AMPosted by Varlund

In the strictest sense, a rotation refers to a specific sequence of abilities: "Use Crusader Strike, then Exorcism, then Judgment, then Templar's Verdict, then repeat". This is not how Ret plays.

What Ret has is called a priority system: there's no predetermined order or sequence of abilities to use; at any given moment you just want to use the highest-priority ability which is available. So when a guide says something like this:
Inq (> DP TV) > 5 HP TV (> ES) > HoW > Exo > CS > Judge > 3-4 HP TV
the > signs are not arrows; they're not saying "cast Exo, then CS". They are greater-than signs: "Exo takes priority over CS, if you can use both".

Generally though, players say "rotation" to mean "the abilities that you use", whether that's an actual rotation or a priority system or whatever else. Occasionally this does confuse someone and they just sit on CS until they can cast Exo, so it can be an important distinction to point out sometimes, but if you're following CLC you have already avoided that mistake.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
05/12/2013 05:52 PMPosted by Newdäwn
i noticed it will tell you to refresh inq when there is more then enough time to squeeze out a couple more globals. the addon isnt perfect

With most add-ons you can (and should) tweak them. With CLCRet you can lower the time at which it tells you to refresh Inq.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
You are not prioritizing the right spells at the right time. You need to adjust your Clcret "rotation" to read:

inq tv5 inqes howaw exoaw tvaw how exo jaw cs j tv3-4

I'm not at home to copy mine exactly but this should get you well above 50k.

There's nothing wrong with using clcret. It's one way to know when your next best ability is off cooldown.
Edited by Sarvan on 5/16/2013 10:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
05/16/2013 10:41 AMPosted by Sarvan
inq tv5 inqes howaw exoaw tvaw how exo jaw cs j tv3-4

That's overly complex. Really, it just needs to be:

inq tv5 es how exo jaw cs j tv3-4

The other conditionals are pretty well wasted, since HoW and Exo are always prioritized above everything save Inq and TV, and Inq should have maximum possible uptime, anyway. I would also actually advise against putting ES in the rotational list and just make an aura icon in CLC for it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]