Do you think blizzard regrets arenas?

90 Orc Death Knight
When you read between the lines blizz is often telling us how few people actually participate in arena and how much grief they take for balance.

Do you think Blizzard regrets introducing arenas?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
They've mentioned before that they regretted implementing Arenas, which is really sad. To me, Arena is the only thing that keeps me playing this game. It's fun, it's rewarding, it gives me a sense of team based competion, which I enjoyed growing up playing team sports.

There is nothing like WoW Arena anywhere else on the gaming world, and that's a major shame. Blizzard could have done a much better job implementing it, and if they would just get out of the mindset that they have regarding keeping PvE and PvP homogenous, and separated the two.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Probably only because of how much harder it made balancing the classes. Even then, I'm not sure I'd say they regret adding them.. just couldn't have foreseen how much messier it made future design.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
No, as with every game they release, it's meant to have a competitive aspect to it.
Reply Quote
67 Orc Hunter
I would say that they probably regret it. Arenas highlight classes imbalances and in turn they get more grief from players.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
BGs can be fun but they are generally full of idiots so that's not the solution. Blizzard had to twist people's arms to do RBGs (i.e. have to get the last 400 conquest after arenas/BGs) so that's not the solution. I don't see arenas being any worse than BGs or RBGs so no I don't think they regret them.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
As other have stated one dev (or former dev now?) said that knowing what they know now they might have gone about arenas differently, he didnt like its association of being an E-spot attempt.

Personally arena's arent my taste for 2 reasons.

1) I dont like small scale fights, I am more of a massive brawl kinda person

2) The arena environment is.....abrasive so to speak. Its hard for me to get a pick up arena team going just for points because if you are going to arena you need to DL this voice chat program, you need to install these add-on, and you need to commit to a strict scheduled, cause if you dont you are considered noob and shunned. At least thats been my experiance.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
They've mentioned before that they regretted implementing Arenas, which is really sad. To me, Arena is the only thing that keeps me playing this game. It's fun, it's rewarding, it gives me a sense of team based competion, which I enjoyed growing up playing team sports.

There is nothing like WoW Arena anywhere else on the gaming world, and that's a major shame. Blizzard could have done a much better job implementing it, and if they would just get out of the mindset that they have regarding keeping PvE and PvP homogenous, and separated the two.

actually they never said they regret implementing arena, they said regret not designing the game with pvp in mind. Big difference.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Not to mention that when they were implemented there were a lot of people doing them.
Reply Quote
10 Blood Elf Paladin
arenas, no

rbgs, yes

in any case for pve/pvp to coexist without too much imbalance they really need to give each ability a pve and pvp function. people get nerfed in pve cause of pvp, and vice versa. it's annoying.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
05/13/2013 09:57 AMPosted by Ogedei
They've mentioned before that they regretted implementing Arenas,

They said they regretted the WAY they implemented arenas.

At the time, it was FAR easier to get good gear via arenas than any other way. Raids were still quite tough, and heroics 5mans were even harder. Thus, TONS of people did arenas, even though they weren't really that interested in PvP.

That's what they meant.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Not everyone hates arena as much as this forum does. Many people do it and love it. They are cool with it I'm sure.
Reply Quote
Arenas were/are fine.

I don't think its a coincidence though that WoW started going downhill once RBG's were put into the game.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Based on the emphasis on RBGs these last few patches, I would say yes. Seems almost as though they want to phase them out.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Do you think Blizzard regrets introducing arenas?

I would have to assume so, I can't imagine they had foretasted for arena to be so successful early on and the small group of people who play to arena are a black and white customer to blizzard. You can negotiate with PvE content: dailies, 5-mans, single boss raids, but with pvp if blizzard has an unbalanced season they will lose subs. I think this group is small group of blizzard's subs, but just big enough to keep the developers interested in trying to some degree.

tldr:
In the end the developer's jobs would be a lot easier balancing everything around RBGs and Raids, and I am sure there is a fair group of people at blizzard who hate dealing with arena balance.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Well, I bet now that they've shown that they completely dropped the ball when it comes to PvP balance, all those hopes and dreams of having an effective e-sport like Starcraft was are fading away. Tournaments are moving to LoL over WoW arena, because PvP right now is nigh unplayable at high skill caps unless you play a Blizzard golden-child spec. Everyone knows it, but they won't do anything about it.

All we get is this pretentious "We'll handle it next expansion" when this expansion isn't even close to being over yet.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Wouldn't be playing if Arena wasn't available.

BG's are soooo boring. The old AV/WSG was fun but thats a whole topic on it's own.

I hate PvE, simply because 4 hours on vent with like 24 other people gets frustrating especially after 1% wipes. The whole raiding with a guild forces you to make a massive commitment. (I raided hardcore in BC + Wrath)
Before I got into Arenas I was into level 19/39 twinking but they killed that aspect (you can argue that theres still some going on but its not the same) - If was I wasn't raiding i'd be twinking.
Reply Quote
62 Blood Elf Death Knight
arenas, no

rbgs, yes

in any case for pve/pvp to coexist without too much imbalance they really need to give each ability a pve and pvp function. people get nerfed in pve cause of pvp, and vice versa. it's annoying.

I don't think Blizzard regret RBGs, the fact that they push us in that direction through higher caps and rewards would lead us to believe quite the opposite.

RBGs are soo much easier to balance around.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
It was what made me play the game... I really enjoyed it for awhile, but with how drastic things change so often for pvp made me leave the game.

I think this game wouldn't have half of the player base if they didn't have arena though. I remembered seeing videos of people playing arena on youtube and thinking that it looked like a lot of fun
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
2) The arena environment is.....abrasive so to speak. Its hard for me to get a pick up arena team going just for points because if you are going to arena you need to DL this voice chat program, you need to install these add-on, and you need to commit to a strict scheduled, cause if you dont you are considered noob and shunned. At least thats been my experiance.

That sounds a lot more like raiding then casual arena, to just cap points or mess around at low ratings none of that is required and the strict schedule for playing in arena seems insane, you play with two other people (four at most) if you want to try for rating often you can fluke out and be on at the same time or simple say "so this time tomorrow?" generally works for me.

They said they regretted the WAY they implemented arenas.

At the time, it was FAR easier to get good gear via arenas than any other way. Raids were still quite tough, and heroics 5mans were even harder. Thus, TONS of people did arenas, even though they weren't really that interested in PvP.

That's what they meant.

^this
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]